The Big Picture: The Other Guys - Lesser Known Toys from the 80's

WarpedLord

Mar 11, 2009
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
Always interesting to see what kind of obscure stuff Bob digs up with videos like this. That said, I'm hoping for another episode where he really takes a stand on something, if only because that can spawn some lively discussions.
So we can have a bunch more people posting about how they "stopped watching Bob's videos or listening to anything he says AGES ago" as they comment about Bob's video they just watched?

No thanks.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Ne1butme said:
Starke said:
Ne1butme said:
I remember other shows like Sky Commanders and Dino Riders. I remember the commericals and the toys more than the cartoons themselves.
I actually kind of expected Dino Riders to get a nod here. Also, MASK comes to mind as one of those weird ass b-list tie in series. Made weirder by the fact that the TV series has actually gotten a DVD release.
I was going to mention M.A.S.K. but then i realized that it went 75 episodes.

But seriously, how weird was the 2nd season of MASK? The show completely changed and now it was about racing.
Yeah, I knew it got 3 seasons, but still. I thought the racing stuff was Season 3, but it's been years. I remember being really confused by those episodes at the time, trying to figure out what the hell was going on, in relation to the rest of the series.

PurpleToaster1

Apr 22, 2014
Can we please get a Superboy prime explanation for the mother of god!
I already know his origin.... but that doesn't mean everyone does!

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
Starke said:
Ne1butme said:
I remember other shows like Sky Commanders and Dino Riders. I remember the commericals and the toys more than the cartoons themselves.
I actually kind of expected Dino Riders to get a nod here. Also, MASK comes to mind as one of those weird ass b-list tie in series. Made weirder by the fact that the TV series has actually gotten a DVD release.
Dino riders maybe, but MASK was no b-list series.
It wasn't as big as GI-joe or transformers, certainly not b-list.
I did expect the go-bots to be mentioned, as they pre-date transformers by 2 years. (i think)
Also mist Jace and the wheel warriors, but that might not be b-list neither.

The 80's made a lot of weird stuff, so bob easily could fill 2 more episodes.

I loved blackstar when it was on TV.
Looking back at it now, it's pretty bad.
But in a fun way.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
Starke said:
Ne1butme said:
Starke said:
Ne1butme said:
I was going to mention M.A.S.K. but then i realized that it went 75 episodes.

But seriously, how weird was the 2nd season of MASK? The show completely changed and now it was about racing.
Yeah, I knew it got 3 seasons, but still. I thought the racing stuff was Season 3, but it's been years. I remember being really confused by those episodes at the time, trying to figure out what the hell was going on, in relation to the rest of the series.
never liked the racing stuff in Mask, it really felt like they ran out of ideas before the ran out of toys to sell.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Jeroenr said:
Starke said:
Ne1butme said:
Dino riders maybe, but MASK was no b-list series.
It wasn't as big as GI-joe or transformers, certainly not b-list.
I did expect the go-bots to be mentioned, as they pre-date transformers by 2 years. (i think)
Also mist Jace and the wheel warriors, but that might not be b-list neither.

The 80's made a lot of weird stuff, so bob easily could fill 2 more episodes.

I loved blackstar when it was on TV.
Looking back at it now, it's pretty bad.
But in a fun way.
Yeah, as big as it was, and that it hasn't gotten a revival, is a little odd to me. Also that it didn't get a nod. *shrugs*

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I grew up in the 90's. And the only cartoons from the 80's that I cared about were Robotech, Saber Rider, Ninja Turtles and The Transformers.

Matthew Titelbaum

Jan 29, 2014
I was hoping that he would mention "Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K0SzFIf4A

The toys were great. All the vehicles had interchangeable parts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jayce_and_the_Wheeled_Warriors

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I guess it wasn't an animation but I was hoping to see Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future. We used to have this bad boy back in the 80's:

Which was a VHS based pseudo-interactive light gun game!

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Heck yeah, Blackstar was awesome! Man, that theme, those visuals, brings back memories. Didn't have colour TV back then.

And it was only 13 episodes? Man, it seemed like it lasted for years. Eh, that's youth, I guess. Time seems longer when you haven't experienced as much of it.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
You know, the 80's and 90's knew how to make fun commercials. I don't want to be that "Everything was better back in the day" guy, but toys these days just... aren't the same. Even in actual stores, not only do the toys somehow look cheaper than they were fifteen years ago, but it's just impossible to find a good toy store anymore. Maybe that's just because of the state I live in, though. I always like to point out how we don't even have a Target. :D
The thing is, I agree with you on all that, back then toys to me felt proper and good, hell recently hasbro basically admitted that they are going to change the way future Transformer toys transform, no even slightly complicated at the moment but in the future they are going to be ridiculously simple to transform for a much younger target...

http://io9.com/hasbro-is-completely-changing-the-way-transformers-toys-1505124977

Back in 2012 TF Fall of Cybertron was released and Hasbro was well on their way to releasing some characters from the game.

The result for some was good like this for example:

And then there was some communication lost in translation at Hasbro when this monstrosity happened.

The funny thing was it was the most expensive toy out of the FOC (generations) toy line and yet it was viewed as a bit of a train wreck to fans (It was the one I was pretty psyched about back before it came out).

However since last year a a collector of Transformers came up with an idea to fix Bruticus and eventually crafted personally modified parts for the figure and the combaticons that combine to form him, this eventually led to the kit being sold on various Transformer based fan websites (currently two differently designed fan kits)

This is the result of one piece of fan work to restore the figure to what it should have looked like upon release.

That one fan mod alone has turned heads from fans who otherwise avoided that set, I'm actually thinking of making a purchase sometime in the future.

Although some toys in the past were basic and simple, I'd rather we not try to go even further beyond that in today's toys.

Also is it me or does that voice at 2:46 sound exactly like the guy who narrates the old Transformers G1 series as well as other advertisements?, it just sounds so familiar.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Zoids were awesome. Best part was stupidly taken them apart to make your own Zoid and realising that you cant and you have no idea how to rebuild them back. lol.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
Best time ever with the toys mentioned? Sectaurs fighting the Inhumanoids. They're the perfect sizes for renacting Kaiju movies with army men.

Ah, memories.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Seeing this sort of thing feels really weird for me. I was born in 89 so i'm very much a nineties kid but I didn't really care about the stuff I was watching until the early 2000's (which is proberly why I consider that period of time kinda shitty, for cartoons at least). That and the fact I didn't get into gaming until much later with the PS1 means that i'm a fair bit older than most of the people who grew up with the stuff I liked.

Gawd I must seem like such a creeper...

Roger

Apr 28, 2013
Makes me wish Power Lords had a tv show, if only because a toyline designed by Wayne Barlowe deserves its own mention.

WarHamster40K

Dec 2, 2009
It's a weird feeling. I remember all of these and owned more than half. Add a few friends and that was all of them in one bundle. It "helped" that I had a divorced dad who thought he could buy loyalty/happiness from an 8-10-year-old. I hate to say that, for a while, it worked. =/ Gotta learn some things the hard way, right?

Happier note: had a great time at PAX East! Hopefully, next year will be just as awesome. n_n b

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Oh man, Inhumanoids used to frickin' terrify me as a kid. My dad had a vhs of the tv special and I could barely get through it. Mostly because of Decompose and his freaky voice.

Then there's Jace and the Wheeled Warriors, which I thought was insanely cool but ALSO terrified me. Darn Monster Minds!

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
geier said:
So, the black haired, black eyed half naked barbarian failed.
But the blonde, blue eyed, half naked barbarian made a fortune?
Seems like blonde, blue eyed strong people conquered the hearts of the consumer (and the sudetenland).
Haha oh God that made laugh. Well done!

It's interesting to consider that even though I was born in the late 80s all we got to play with was the classic green army men and various army vehicles. I think that this really was a purely Western/Japanese phenomenon.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Of out of fail toys/ cartoon I only remember the robotix film but even then I was wondering where they were from (it was air in the film channel in the 90's) and that is saying alot since I'm a byproduct child of the 80's!
Still I guess I glad that cartoon/ toys like Visionaries and Ring Raiders did not count as obscure (they had limited series and Visionaries toys were expensive as hell).
Actually I also remember those Zoid toys aswell but I am still wonder what theaw other Zoid like toys were in the early 90's? They were coloured white for good guy and black bad guy but they were humanoid mech but contructed the same as Zoid but had a similar graded scale with the smaller one somewhat cheap and the larger one expensive as hell.