The Big Picture: This Episode is Part of the Problem

maximara

Jul 13, 2008
ShadowGandalf01 said:
I prefer movie creators to not give away too much. I like to be surprised at the movies, not be going, oh this must be the part where *twist* happens.

For example: Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I would've been gobsmacked to learn the identity of the Winter Soldier while watching the movie, but instead, it was given away, by me reading the film synopsis. Why?

So really, the less I know/find out about Star Wars 7, the better. I've learned to tread VERY carefully around the internet to avoid things I'd rather not find out.

(I've been avoiding all the Godzilla trailers since the teaser already sold me. I don't need to see anything else about it)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (or any other movie based on a book) is a bad example.

If they followed the material faithfully the identity of the Winter Soldier in the movie was going to be the same as in the 2005 comic books which were collected into a trade in 2006 and that 2010 The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes! cartoon. In fact, about the only thing they changed in the cartoon from the comic was the Red Skull rather then the USSR being responsible for the Winter Soldier.

As far as the movies are concerned there doesn't seem to have been another Captain America as in the comics so that leaves out William Naslund, Jeffrey Mace, and William Burnside. Also the viewer would have to given some back story to even care about any of those guys; I'm a comic geek and the only one of them that is even remotely interesting is Burnside and that is only because he is not the only one AFAIR they haven't killed off yet.

4Aces

May 29, 2012
First, Bay, then JJ, you should get some antibiotics before that turns into something more serious, like death. JJ may be better than Bay, but not by a great deal. His total incomprehension of continuity, especially anything even remotely scientific (yet he still believes he can do plausible SciFi), is the only saving grace of him working on this project, since Star Wars is pure techno-babble. So JJ should not be able to screw this one up, like he did with Star Trek. That is unless he read about metachlorians and though, "wow, I can get three movies out of that alone, as long as I pretend it is anything other than what it is, and then send actors/actresses out to lie about it just before the movies are released." Sorry JJ, you have pulled that one too many times. So, JJ acting like JJ is fine, pretending his easily deduced 'mystery' is actually hard to figure out does not bother me, so much as we do not know if Disney has their own production team keeping a careful eye, lest JJ call Lindelhof back up to get some more 'great' ideas.