The Big Picture: This Episode is Part of the Problem

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
This Episode is Part of the Problem

MovieBob thinks we're in to a really rough lead up to the new Star Wars films - and it's because of JJ Abrams.

Watch Video

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Ah the mystery box, the reason I wait longer to see a movie because reviews are even more important in figuring out if it's worth my time.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Thing is JJ is in full control of what gets released to journalists so he might as well use it to build excitement for the movie. He can save all the good stuff for when the movie is released, but he can still release the odd picture, design or set photos. This builds excitement for the movie among fans, gets them wanting more.

ShadowGandalf01

Oct 3, 2011
I prefer movie creators to not give away too much. I like to be surprised at the movies, not be going, oh this must be the part where *twist* happens.

For example: Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I would've been gobsmacked to learn the identity of the Winter Soldier while watching the movie, but instead, it was given away, by me reading the film synopsis. Why?

So really, the less I know/find out about Star Wars 7, the better. I've learned to tread VERY carefully around the internet to avoid things I'd rather not find out.

(I've been avoiding all the Godzilla trailers since the teaser already sold me. I don't need to see anything else about it)

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Hutzpah Chicken said:
I'm always reminded of this scene when Bob talks about the Mystery Box.

The funny part is that's exactly what's usually in the Mystery Box.
Also, we don't need no stinkin' badgers.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I almost feel like this is a recreation of the whole JJ Abrams mystery box episode, oh well it will happen when Abrams comes up.

RunicFox

Aug 9, 2010
Interesting take on both the man and the industry. You can say it was fueled by both sides, but I'd say this is something not often discussed in a 5 minute time frame and given articulate explanation. I've never had an issues with Abrams, but this whole idea seems to basically be Lost, but in real life.

What I will say to anyone worried about the movie...Disney wants this to fail a lot less than any of us certainly. On top of that, we know that most good movies are not just a director -- a savvy producer, great editing, and a solid few scriptwriters can make a huge difference.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
ShadowGandalf01 said:
For example: Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I would've been gobsmacked to learn the identity of the Winter Soldier while watching the movie, but instead, it was given away, by me reading the film synopsis. Why?
Because its a 9 year old twist which would be revealed by just looking at the case. It's the type of spoiler you just can't keep secret from those who actually look into it.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
The point about the internet mystery circle jerk inflating even more due to lack of material is the most infuriating part. Star Wars just got the largest infusion of life that it's seen in over a decade, but instead of talking about how stoked everyone is for movie point A or B, or favorite actors, the silence has left us with nothing to do but complain.

We complain about the director. We complain about the destruction of canon. We complain about how dumb it is that all the same actors are back (opposite of what was intended) simply because we don't yet see a reason WHY they need to be back. We complain about the lack of details about Star Wars games, like DICE's Battlefront 3 (and it's relationship with the really screwy Battlefield 4) or Visceral's Dead Space Uncharted: The Star Wars game.

Rather than giving us actual reasons to be excited, they tell us nothing, leaving our minds open and free to fill the empty space up with nothing but fake ideas of how terribly everything is going to get screwed up. The mystery box is supposed to make us excited, but instead the opposite is happening, and it SUCKS BALLS.

You cannot get excited for and hype something if there is literally nothing existing to hype.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I hope to God J.J. Abrams is not gonna keep going with this mystery box schtick for very long. We're fast approaching San Diego Comic Con, where Hollywood tends to hold its big reveals for the summer mass-gathering of geek culture. For years, Marvel Studios has been the 800 pound gorilla of Hall H with their new announcements and previews. Phase 2 is nearing the end with Guardians of the Galaxy andAvengers: Age of Ultron and its a safe bet that they will reveal the plans for Phase 3 starting with Ant-Man. Other studios would sell their soul for a slice of that attention (assuming they haven't sold their souls to begin with).

Now is not the time to be playing this "Ooooo! What's in the mystery box?" gag with us. Abrams is already behind the 8-ball with the reports of the studios having difficulty dealing with his antics. He does not need anymore bad press because he wants to keep people in the dark. Disney, the Star Wars community, and geek culture in general have a breaking point and, if Abrams fails to live up to the hype, they will turn their collective backs on him in a big fucking hurry.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Abrams big "mystery box" concept does the opposite of make me wonder about things. I may be unique on this, but the more news there is about something... the less I actually care about it. The 'mystery box" will simply make people speculate more (as Bob said) but it will drive any enthusiasm I have about a particular movie into the ground. Usually, by the time one of these movies comes out, I am ready to wait for the DVD/Blu-ray/digital release. And I may drag myself to see a movie, but if I don't, I will not feel like I am missing anything. I feel that the upcoming Godzilla movie did it best, in recent memory. I have only ever seen 2 trailers for the thing and a teaser, and read a single article about how some Japanese people think Godzilla is "too fat". I can't wait for this movie, it can't come soon enough. I have seen and heard so many things about the new Star Wars films, if they never come out I am pretty much OK with it at this point.

I don't know, maybe that is just me.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Good Lord, this week's episode is meta.
ShadowGandalf01 said:
Because the Winter Soldier arc is so famous you could've learned everything there is to know with half a google search. Plus the writers didn't have balls like Shane Black and choose to do something new and creative with the IP, nor the balls to copy the politically relevant parts of the Captain America canon like the Nomad arc.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
RunicFox said:
What I will say to anyone worried about the movie...Disney wants this to fail a lot less than any of us certainly. On top of that, we know that most good movies are not just a director -- a savvy producer, great editing, and a solid few scriptwriters can make a huge difference.
Definitely, even looking back at Abram's last forays. Star Trek reboot was, despite the standard insane Abrams lighting effects, a really fun movie because the actors absolutely nailed their parts and there was time given to create character chemistry. Compare that to Star Trek 2, where the entire point of the movie was *spoiler* "he's not Khan, he's not Khan, he's not Khan, who am I kidding he's totally Khan." The entire movie had no other purpose or characterization other than to drag out a "secret" that literally the entire world already guessed.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
You know what would be really funny? If Abrams shows nothing before it come, and then it turned out he made it nothing but fanboys bitching for 2 hours. It will like that for me anyway, so would be nice if everone else could share my misery. But that's an awesome idea, and the star wars fanbase makes anything the worst thing ever.

Malisteen

Mar 1, 2010
Ronack said:
he's only in it to appeal to as wide an audience as possible.
Really? Between the 'cast of almost exclusively white dudes' and the 'only selling point is dragging back the old cast to play to the nostalgia of old fans', my very strong impression of the new Star Wars movies was that Abrams wasn't casting the net nearly widely enough.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
TiberiusEsuriens said:
RunicFox said:
Definitely, even looking back at Abram's last forays. Star Trek reboot was, despite the standard insane Abrams lighting effects, a really fun movie because the actors absolutely nailed their parts and there was time given to create character chemistry. Compare that to Star Trek 2, where the entire point of the movie was *spoiler* "he's not Khan, he's not Khan, he's not Khan, who am I kidding he's totally Khan." The entire movie had no other purpose or characterization other than to drag out a "secret" that literally the entire world already guessed.
I tend to agree I had issues with Abrams first Star Trek movie, but I had enough enjoyment and the promise of a "new Star Trek universe" to explore because things changed right at the start. The problem with the second movie is it felt like a highlights reel of "the greatest moments of Star Trek" and felt like a movie you have seen many times already.

That leads into my concerns with where this Star Wars Episode is going, for they are making the original cast the focus of the movie, so now instead of getting something new I am left with the feeling its going to be another "greatest hits" movie.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Zontar said:
Because its a 9 year old twist which would be revealed by just looking at the case. It's the type of spoiler you just can't keep secret from those who actually look into it.
deathbydeath said:
Because the Winter Soldier arc is so famous you could've learned everything there is to know with half a google search.
It's the Internet. Deliberately looking up information on anything is guaranteed to give you exactly the information you're looking for. The question is, why also force the people who weren't curious enough to purposely spoil themselves to know?