The Big Picture: Tooned Out

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
So, Harry "Grimoree", huh? That wouldn't be anything like Harry "Grimwhar", would it? As in, a book of spells?

Some of you may have spotted the common thread among all those horrible 80s cartoons. The bane of animated television for the era: DiC.

Apparently they made enough money doing this scholck to keep getting hired to do stuff, but the only one I can recall (other than G.I. Joe) that didn't amount to crap on a crap cracker was The Real Ghostbusters. And that may only be because the other Ghostbusters cartoon was done by the one studio with cheaper animation than theirs: Filmation.

Aside from old standbys like Heathcliff and Inspector Gadget, DiC is responsible for all the Mario and Sonic stuff, Captain N, the Bill and Ted cartoon, the New Kids cartoon, the Hulk Hogan cartoon, the Karate Kid cartoon, the list goes on.

"DiC: At Least We're Not Filmation"

C117

Aug 14, 2009
What shocks me most is that in the Darkstalkers segment, according to the few glimpses we get here, Morrigan Aensland is a BAD guy.

Last time I checked, Morrigan was one of the protagonists, right? I mean, I am not that into the Darkstalkers mythos, and I know she's a succubus and all, but I thought that she was one of the GOOD guys, if not THE good guy.

Of course, I might be entirely wrong on this...

twesterm

Feb 25, 2009
I remember loving the Kwirk game as a kid. :)

I've been looking for that game to have on my Game Boy again for years...

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
At first I didn't know what Power Team was, then I looked it up. Wow I actually remember watching that show on TV once... once.

-puts on riot gear-

Get ready... a storm is coming.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
You're got Felicia.. in your bed... and you want her to leave!?

blackrave said:
Right Hook said:
Kid telling the hot cat-lady to get the hell out of his room? Alpha as fuck.
No, no, no
I figured Harry out
He is gay
That would totally explain his behavior
I don't know, I think even a gay 13yr old would try and hit that.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
actually if any character in Darkstalkers defines the series it would be Morrigan due to her importance to the mythology. Heck, her and Demitri are pretty much Ken and Ryu

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Looking back, Captain N was terrible. Absolutely terrible. But I LOVED it as a kid. I didn't even have a Nintendo and Iwanted to play the Captain N game.

I'm surprised that didn't make it into NintendoLand yet.

Edit:
Also my initial thought wasn't a video game - but that show where Michael Jordan, Bo Jackson and Wayne Gretsky formed a super-team together.

guise709

Feb 2, 2010
I had fun watching Darkstalkers. But then again Felicia was my first and only waifu I ever had.

kaizen2468

Nov 20, 2009
I didn't know about any of these shows except for TMNT.The games I knew of, the tv shows, no.

Spacefrog

Apr 27, 2011
Ukomba said:
Captain N had a really really good premise, but terrible execution. Even so, I remember loving it when I was 5. I loved The Legend Zelda and Super Mario TV shows too.
I completely agree, it is a really good premise (I mean even today wreck-it Ralph did pretty good with a similar world)

You might want to give the comic a look
http://cnn.captainn.net/com_issueguide.html

It was somebody at Nintendo watching the cartoon and then going "we can do this better"
I mostly read it because Samus Aran replaced Belmont as "the big guy", and did her a lot more justice that expected.
Actually they did a lot of characters better than the cartoon.

A new interpretation would be a great idea.
As I mentioned Wreck-it Ralph showed that this kind of world can sell, heck, Super Smash Brothers Brawl already have an established "Nintendo world" where crossovers are possible.
How hard would it be to insert a Captain N into that.

blackrave said:
Right Hook said:
Kid telling the hot cat-lady to get the hell out of his room? Alpha as fuck.
No, no, no
I figured Harry out
He is gay
That would totally explain his behavior
Not so sure, look at the other clip with them sitting at the table talking.
She's taller than him and yet he's looking down most of the time he's talking to her.
He's not looking at her eyes, that's for sure.

maximara

Jul 13, 2008
Chessrook44 said:
Mojo said:
This may be due to the fact that I was like between 6 or so during the time, but I remember liking the sonic cartoon. Even though I never liked the games that much. Not gonna try and watch this now... I know it will suck in retrospect, nostalgia be damned.
WHICH Sonic cartoon? I think there were two of them... one bad one, one good one. Least that's what I heard.
There were THREE Sonics series that I know of:
Sonic the Hedgehog (Better known as SatAM) which was the good one,

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog which was the so bad it should have been nuked from orbit, and

Sonic Underground which wasn't as bad as Adventures but didn't get to the good level of SatAM either.

Chris Batson

Mar 5, 2012
The Battletoads cartoon DID have one fun idea that I liked. In order to do all the exaggerated transformations the characters did in the video game (change their head into a battering ram while running, turning their foot into a giant boot, etc.) they had to hype themselves up by making outrageous boasts: http://youtu.be/GlRMunEPAYg?t=12m28s

It just seems like a fun thing I could see a lot of kids doing - I know I would have.

As a side-note, I totally understand Bob's sentiment with Felicia. I mean, I don't think I would try anything if I was his age, but being annoyed would be the FURTHEST thing from my mind.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I still think the concept for Captain N was a good one, and the execution wasn't that bad on all levels.. but even back then I hated what they did with some of the characters.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Speaking as someone who who went out with a furry, if she dresses like a cat she is (likely) kinky as fuck.

That kid was an idiot.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Okay.

I clicked on your video prepared to do battle, Bob. I thought "He's going to trash the Darkstalkers series?! I'll stop him with He might notice one of several disapproving forum posts! That show was awesome."

I had no idea that the US had made its own, despicable counterpart to the anime.

And I'm not about to thank you for filling me in. That was hideous.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
RJ 17 said:
1: I'd argue that Morrigan is more the face of the Dark Stalkers franchise than Felecia.

2: The Night Warriors anime based off Dark Stalkers wasn't too bad. It wasn't great, to be sure, but it wasn't too bad.

3: Ummmm yeah, you wake up to find a voluptuous cat-girl who (at least in the game) has no clothes but rather conveniently placed bands of fur and your first instinct is "GTFO OF MY ROOM!"? Can't say i agree with that one kid. :p
1. I think Felicia isn't the face of Darkstalkers, but two or 3 other body parts (giggedy).
3. If we're talking 1/2 cat, 1/2 girl, my biggest concern at that moment isn't "AAUUUUGHH!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY ROOM?!" but if her downstairs part are compatible with my own.