The Big Picture: Tooned Out

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
*sees everyone talking about a Power Team*

*Googles Power Team*

OH, GOD! I REMEMBER NOW!

It's that show with the tomato that got mad whenever they mispronounced his name! And Bigfoot! Gah!
Well, actually, I kinda liked that show. But then again, I was really young when I watched it.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
[quote Soxafloppin]

Does anyone remember Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm?

Where Nightwolf, the native american shaman is infact a technology loving computer genius, Sonya is basically the Leeroy Jenkins of the group (KOOMMBBAT TIME!) and Stryker is voiced by Ron Pearlman![/quote]

Wait, that was Ron Perlman? He's awesome!

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I learned absolutely nothing from this that I didn't already know. But I still enjoyed it ^_^

A little bit of Radiodrome Podcast, Animated Anarchy, Tacoman Plays a Video Game, AVGN, some random gaming history from Youtube, & a few top/bottom 10 lists from Blistered Thumbs & Game Trailers/ScrewAttack.

For me, the most entertaining nostalgia is the tripe & not the fond memories.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
Tenmar said:
Hutzpah Chicken said:
I'm really glad I never saw these things. The only one that I remember that wasn't that good was the Sonic one that was on the Disney Channel I believe. Also, who the hell is Bubsy?
Bubsy like a lot of games during the 16 bit console era(SNES/Genesis) had companies try to create mascots to captivate young consumers as mascots during those times have proven to be very reliable towards building a franchise. Since kids like animals it was only logical that after seeing Sonic that other companies try to emulate that success and so Bubsy was created for the SNES by Accolade.

Suffice to say bubsy and a lot of other next gen mascots really didn't do well at all either by how bad their games were or simply having a character that just didn't catch on in an industry that already had well established mascots that already caught on to the hearts and minds of a generation(Mario and Sonic).
So he's about as bad as Awesome Possum. Probably good thing I never spent money on a game like that.

Steve Toyen

Nov 10, 2011
OMG I've been trying to remember what this thing was called for YEARS. NO ONE I know has any idea when I tell them about it. I tell them it was like Captain N, but with Kwirk, Narc, and a monster truck.

nondescript

Oct 2, 2009
I remember this one! With Bigfoot and the basketball guy (from Double Dribble?) and the Conan wannabe! Fighting Kingpin!

... I have fond memories of that one. *sigh* Why the heck did Bigfoot have lasers though?

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Wow. I'd never even heard of some of these. Probably for the best, given that my grip on sanity is tenuous enough as it is.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
I was actually alive when these were on (and watched some of them - yes, they really were even worse than these clips can possibly convey) but I'm still not sure why we care about this right now Bob. Care to clue us in? 30 years back is a long reach for a topic. Tell me something's brewing that's relevant to something this century, please.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
"Too... much... eighties..." was pretty much my reaction as well.

Mojo said:
Chessrook44 said:
Mojo said:
This may be due to the fact that I was like between 6 or so during the time, but I remember liking the sonic cartoon. Even though I never liked the games that much. Not gonna try and watch this now... I know it will suck in retrospect, nostalgia be damned.
WHICH Sonic cartoon? I think there were two of them... one bad one, one good one. Least that's what I heard.
Oh, never knew there were two (or more). I only ever saw one. A after a quick Google search I'm pretty sure it was Sonic Underground.

EDIT:

Yes, that's the one!
I watched the hell out of that as a kid! The theme tune is still awesome.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
GAH! At 4:48 that picture on the left, that troll doll thing I have that sitting in my attic since forever and I never figured out what show it was from?

Anyone help me out, it looks exactly like that one, although mine is missing a bit of an eye but otherwise....

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
So Scooby Doo, Scooby Doo, Knight Rider, and a 13 year old who must be remarkably Anti-Furry.

Oh, and Bubsy. I actually saw the Bubsy and Battletoads cartoons, because they had the promotional playing at some dept store...
[sub]Fuck Bubsy. Burn Bubsy. Kill Bubsy. Kill it with fire!!..[/sub]

Sorry, blanked out there for a moment...Battletoads?
Its premium grade shit to be sure, but nowhere near the level of shit as the first Sonic cartoon series. Even today it just makes my skin crawl.

Seeing the intro for Battletoads again, I had to wonder just whose bright idea it was to use a Beach Boys-esque theme song.
This is Battletoads, not fucking Archie.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
Wait? Pole Postion was based on a video game? (I don't remember that show but my bro did).
IIRC, DIC really wanted to do a show with crime-fighting robot cars called Pole Position, and had to get the liscence from Namco to use the title.

Also, woah woah woah! Even if that US Felicia is like a censoured version to the original Felicia we know, was that kid gay or a anti furry (or just not into cat girls)? (I did knew about that cartoon but I never bother to look it up to see how bad it was.)
Nah, he's just a character in a kids' cartoon. The censors would never have let them show a real 11-year-old boy's reaction to having a hot catgirl living in his room.

The funny thing about Bob comparing Harry Grimoire to Potter is that the Darkstalkers' cartoon actually pre-dates Rowling's books by two years.