The Big Picture: Tooned Out

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
This episode reminds me that there's going to be a new Pac-Man TV series coming out soon... So far, it doesn't look that impressive. At all. :/

Also, CR! of Familiar Faces did an entire episode on Pole Position, check it out:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/cr/ff/15709-ep014

He even did Battletoads, check it!

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/cr/ff/28718-episode-44-battletoads-part-2

Oh, and I know what Bob's talking about. He mentioned it in a previous episode, and, once again, CR!'s done a bit on it... with whatever footage he could actually find from the show:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/cr/ff/13302-ff05

Windu23

Aug 6, 2008
Tenmar said:
Oh god it is power team. I remember that cartoon...
I'm a little surprised someone else knows what this is, but I know I shouldn't be.

Maybe I should be surprised how many people DON'T know it, but that depends on the age demographic of the site. I mean, the show premiered in the way early 90s, so it may be before some members' time.

Aug 1, 2010
Holy hell those are scary.

As soon as Bob started playing the Felicia clips, I was yelling NO! YOU DO NOT REACT THAT WAY to the kid.

Oh and one last thing....

[sub/]do you have battletoads[/sub]

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
Chessrook44 said:
Mojo said:
This may be due to the fact that I was like between 6 or so during the time, but I remember liking the sonic cartoon. Even though I never liked the games that much. Not gonna try and watch this now... I know it will suck in retrospect, nostalgia be damned.
WHICH Sonic cartoon? I think there were two of them... one bad one, one good one. Least that's what I heard.
Oh, never knew there were two (or more). I only ever saw one. A after a quick Google search I'm pretty sure it was Sonic Underground.

EDIT:

Yes, that's the one!

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well, i cant imagine anything being worse than the Nintendo anime adaptations.

Of things that never made it outside of Japan at least...

Darmani

Apr 26, 2010
I'm actually going to defend the Darkstalkers cartoon. I mean it was urban fantasy series with a kid who was a mythology geek and yes Potter was published but not quite superbig yet.

They did a great job with the set up. had some nice mix of episodes, character arcs and included bits that got me into asian culture.

think of it as a goofier Mighty Max where we weren't as stuck with the Capbearer.

I know its not in the feel of the original videogame series but.. c'mon a series that has transgender you attacks and this much fanservice isn't being humiliated by including a kid perspective character. Especially as, get this, he wasn't in every episode and really was just a perspective person. Plus I prefer this felicia who's a little saucy and witty but apologies nothing with the clueless bimbo of canon. Also morrigan was appropriately a scheming *****, even with the ugly bat stretch pants.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
Gildedtongue said:
Oh, God...

Gear up, boys. We're going down to the Power team on this one...
There are other who know about this show, I thought I destroyed them all, THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wait? Pole Postion was based on a video game? (I don't remember that show but my bro did).

Also gee thanks, I didn't really needed to know the non main stream videogame based cartoon shows, it make them look appealing!

Also, woah woah woah! Even if that US Felicia is like a censoured version to the original Felicia we know, was that kid gay or a anti furry (or just not into cat girls)? (I did knew about that cartoon but I never bother to look it up to see how bad it was.)

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
The only reason I even heard of the darkstalkers cartoon before now was because Retuspurae did a mst3k-style riff of the pilot episode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTEelxz3N-o

Fun fact: after the battletoad series bombed, the group behind it went on to due Adventures of sonic the hedgehog, and made even "less" sense.

Next week time for the power team(aka the acclaim captain N)

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
Kuomon said:
Is it the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon? Or is that considered good?
The Dungeons & Dragons cartoon isn't based on a video game, so no. Also, that cartoon had too many positive aspect to really call bad. I had watched some of it recently, so I can't call it good with a straight face. Maybe if it was not dumbed down so much, it would work.

I guess Bob find the Pac-man and Dragon's Lair cartoons to be not that bad. Whatever. I find them wince-inducing because I wasted a good deal of my life watching that crap.

A good video game cartoon was Earthworm Jim. I guess Earthworm Jim has since fallen from grace as a property because of a few crappy games and some unfortunate comments by the creator, the nature of which I forget but don't care enough to look up. But the show had an anarchic sense of humor that elevated it into something actually entertaining while shilling the games and toy lines.

That's kind of the thing about all these shows from the 80's and later. They wouldn't exist if the law had not been changed. For you young'uns, there used to be laws on what could and could not be in children's programming, including what could and could not be advertized. I'm no lawyer, but under this law, childrens' shows based on products such as toy lines or video games would have been illegal. So in the 70's, we had all kinds of innovative cartoons with fresh, new characters. I'm not sure how Super Friends got around this. As I said, I'm not a lawyer. But in the early 80's these laws were repealed or relaxed and suddenly animators were making shows based on popular toy lines. He-Man, Transformers, G.I. Joe, etc. I'm sure it was the same for video games.

Just think how many of these old shows that you all grew up with if these laws remained in place. No G.I. Joe. No Transformers. No Thundercats (probably). The mind boggles as it became obvious that shows from the mid-to-late 80's were formulated the same as toy lines. I remember one show called Spiral Zone that probably had a toy line, but I never saw it (for the opposite, see: Voltron II) but it was obviously designed to shill toys. The good guys and bad guys had a smallish, collectable group of characters and a couple monsters thrown in. I just find it interesting how this formula is at once transparent yet somehow compelling. For me, at least.

franksands

Dec 6, 2010
Just to say I liked a lot Pole Position when I was a kid and never knew it was an "adaptation" of the videogame. I think they did a hell of a job with the material they had.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Captain N had a really really good premise, but terrible execution. Even so, I remember loving it when I was 5. I loved The Legend Zelda and Super Mario TV shows too.

I'd love to see a Captain N re-boot. Not that I think they could get Simon or Megaman for it.

Annoying Pit -> Modern Pit
Frog Megaman -> (Kirby, Didi Kong, or a Pokemon)
Fem Simon -> Fox or Samus
Anoying Princess -> Princess Rosalina
Game Boy -> Rob

Brain in the Jar Mother Brain -> Giygas
Eggplant Wizard -> Eggplant Wizard
King Hippo -> Wario
Doctor Wily -> Super Metroid Monster Mother Brain

Add a modern Zelda and Mario Cartoon to cross over with and you're golden. I'd love a Metroid tv show too, but then you'd loose those characters.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I may have to brush up on my retro gaming history, because 'SwordBallTomatoTyreVest' means nothing to me...

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
I know of the exact show Movie Bob is hinting too.
I am not saying its name, I wouldn't do that to Bob.

But I can offer hints.

Includes Characters from

Arch Rivals
Narc
Big Foot (the monster Truck not the man-ape)
Wizards & Warriors
Kwirk

Orcboyphil

Dec 25, 2008
No Bob your wrong, my eight year old self is telling me that the Pole Position cartoon was awesome... and also you smell of poo (*sigh* me from the past)

Even though I've played various incarnations of the Pole Position game I even remember the cartoon I had never realised that they where in the same franchise.

Bayushi_Kouya

Mar 31, 2009
Oh god -- I had no idea most of these existed. Kind of bummed that I missed the Darkstalkers cartoon -- I was busy writing my own fan fiction after I played a few times at my local arcade. Of course, most of these were probably airing Saturday morning, where I would have to fight both my sisters for the TV, until I got my first paper route HOLY SHIT I'M OLD.

darksakul said:
But I can offer hints.

Includes Characters from

Arch Rivals
Narc
Wizards & Warriors
Kwirk
Oh god a second time -- I did watch this one -- teeth-grinding in frustration -- I remember a sentient tomato that I wanted to beat with a golf club every time he spoke?

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
darksakul said:
I am not saying its name, I wouldn't do that to Bob.

But I can offer hints.

Includes Characters from

Arch Rivals
Narc
Wizards & Warriors
Kwirk
The interesting thing is there was a completely separate Bigfoot cartoon from the same animation company that made G.I. Joe and Transformers.