The Big Picture: Tooned Out

KoDOmega

Nov 22, 2009
*looks up Power Team* I just have to assume this never aired in Canada, because I have NEVER heard of this show before. Not even a LITTLE. And TV RAISED me!

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
Bayushi_Kouya said:
Oh god a second time -- I did watch this one -- teeth-grinding in frustration -- I remember a sentient tomato that I wanted to beat with a golf club every time he spoke?
I see you know what show I am speaking off. +1 for getting the reference, and another +9 for having been traumatized as a child with awful cartoons. Even He-man and the Masters of the Universe was not as bad, as at least with HE-man with the bad writing and el-cheapo animation had its good points.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Holy cow, they made a Tireappleswordvestbasketball cartoon!? That was my favorite game on the Buttonbuttoncartrigebuttonswiremorebuttons console.

nintendo414

Wakaman
Mar 16, 2010
I used to watch Sonic Underground all the time as a kid and honestly don't mind it today I really it's a matter of taste but I have to say that Darkstalkers kid is an idiot.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
*looks up at the other posts* God blarging dammit...I try for a dramatic reveal and planned to use a spoiler so the surprise isn't ruined, and look what happens!

This...is gonna be interesting, that's for sure.

CAPTCHA: back to basics

I very highly doubt that as there is NOTHING basic about Power Team.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
1: I'd argue that Morrigan is more the face of the Dark Stalkers franchise than Felecia.

2: The Night Warriors anime based off Dark Stalkers wasn't too bad. It wasn't great, to be sure, but it wasn't too bad.

3: Ummmm yeah, you wake up to find a voluptuous cat-girl who (at least in the game) has no clothes but rather conveniently placed bands of fur and your first instinct is "GTFO OF MY ROOM!"? Can't say i agree with that one kid. :p

Also, seemed like his voice was a lot younger than the way his character was drawn. Like a 9 year old's voice in a 15 year old's body.

As for that cartoon based off the racing game...yeah, Bob had my reaction spot-on before the clip was even done playing: "God damn, that's a LOT of 80's right there for you."

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
I actually remember watching that Darkstalkers cartoon WAY back when I was 5-6 years old. I remember I really liked the design of everything. I don't think I ever even connected that it was from those games though.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Gildedtongue said:
Oh, God...

Gear up, boys. We're going down to the Power team on this one...
I remember when they showed up in captain snes, and I just assumed it was a joke.

I have to say, I kinda dug the pole position carton as a kid. not as much as Jayce, transformers and turtles, but...

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Wait they made a child friendly darkstalker cartoon? That?s like making a child friendly shin megami tensei game o wait they already did that um it?s like making a child friendly highlander cartoon what do you mean they also did that? What?s next a Rambo cartoon ?o wait that also exists?.did television producers have any shame In the 80 and 90?

Also that kid reaction isn?t that weird asexuality does exists I?m about 15 and I?m about as interested in girls as a 5 year old.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Jetsetneo said:
No Mention of the Mortal Kombat Cartoon bob? Or are you saving that for something else?
Goddamit, not only I had to remember that darkstalkers awfulness, now I get Goreless Kombat flashbacks.

I am glad that I didn't watch Battletoads. Dark Queen didn't deserve that.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
The real question in my mind is; if after making a dozen video game cartoons that don't last more than a half dozen episodes because they're bad why did they keep doing it? It is the very definition of insanity. Either nobody stopped to ask 'Is it good?' or the answer was 'It's for kids, and they're too dumb to notice if it isn't, despite overwhelming evidence to the contary.'

But then again for better or worse the genre died. Video game animu and Robot Chicken sketches parodying video games don't count. Or webcomics. Or... Hm, now that I think about it I think the genre kinda mutated instead of dying.

yunabomb

Nov 29, 2011
I remember watching the Pac Man cartoon once. Adding in pellets to the cartoon was very awkward.

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
ivc392 said:
The straight-to-video Super Mario movie will for ever haunt my dreams... along with the Zelda TV show.
Straight-to-video movie? When did that happen?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Fordo said:
For the record, the Zelda TV show RULED. My money would have been the OTHER sonic TV show, but maybe not...
I hope your not talking about SATAM, that cartoon was the hedgehogs bollocks!

Damn you JonTron for introducing me to Bubsy...

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
I recommend watching the Retsupurae riff on the Darkstalkers pilot.

I also just watched the first episode of Power Team...

[sub]Dear god...[/sub]

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Oh good lordy. The Power Team was godawful, although I will admit that the animated portion of Video Power was probably the least awful part of the show. Even as an kid I could tell that "Johnny Arcade" wasn't human, he was grown in a lab as an as attempt to weaponize "extreme attitude."

I won't step on Mr. Bob's toes any further but yeah I look forward to the next show.

I actually remember watching Saturday Supercade as a kid, usually while eating my Donky Kong cereal (It was basically Cap'n Crunch) and the shows weren't terrible for their time. Only in retrospect do Mario and Donky Kong come off as completely off character but it's somewhat forgivable since the NES was still a few years away from release in the states and Mario hadn't begin to build up any kind of mythos yet.

I also recall rather enjoying the Kangaroo, Pitfall and Space Ace segments. To be fair though old age has clouded the specifics of any of those cartoons from my memory.