The Big Picture: Trolling The 90s

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
ForgottenPr0digy said:
I want a episode all about the street sharks(and other shows like SWAT Kats,Biker Mice from Mars and Road Rovers)
Don't lump SWAT Kats in with the rest of those shows. SK was actually good. I still love that theme song.

And I'm sorry, Bob. If you're still trying to convince me the 90s didn't suck, you're not helping your case. I always hated Trolls. My little sister had one of the creepy little bastards and it was always in a different spot in the house but I never saw anyone move it. It was stalking me, I swear the most liberating day of my life was when I strapped that thing to an illegal firework at a friends place and sent it straight back from whence it came. That being to hell.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Chrono212 said:
Wait! I remember the Street Sharks!

It was so weird...
I know! A complete flash of nostalgia when I saw that.

The crazy, crazy shows we used to have...

The blond troll from that advertisement looks a little like Sandal from Dragon Age. That's kind of creepy.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Legion said:
Chrono212 said:

It was so weird...
I know! A complete flash of nostalgia when I saw that.

The crazy, crazy shows we used to have...
There was another one where it was a similar sort of thing but they were half dinosaur instead.

Although think about Pokemon: monsters you collect in tiny balls that you then bring out to beat other peoples monsters.

Equally as weird.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
They made a Trolls cartoon in typical 90's radical style? That's hilarious. Gotta love the samurai Elvis guy tho.

And I remember the Street Sharks. How horrible it was.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Jawsome! a Street Sharks episode! I'm so excited I could swim though pavement. I don't think there is any other show more hilariously 90's then that one.

ForgottenPr0digy said:
I want a episode all about the street sharks(and other shows like SWAT Kats,Biker Mice from Mars and Road Rovers)
Don't forget Extreme Dinosaurs.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
It's weird realising that I was part of a whole decade that kids today never truly experienced (and I'm only 22)

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
Never understood the appeal of troll dolls, and I don't think I ever will. Its like having a creepy ventriloquist dummy just sitting around.

Always watching
Always waiting
Stalking
Hunting

Street Sharks were awesome though. I remember watching the show as a kid/collecting some of the toys. It was actually a TMNT knockoff worth watching imo.

Zombie Sodomy

Feb 14, 2013
Cable! Fuck yeah! That's about all I remember from the 90's. These videos are really making me wish I had a TV with more than 3 channels when I was growing up.
Edit: I had no idea Street Sharks was actually a real thing. I thought it was just a Robot Chicken skit.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Elijah Newton said:
Chrono212 said:

It was so weird...
This from someone with a brony avatar? Irony sense... tingling!
They're ponies in a pony world! Those guys are shark guys in a...not-shark-guy world.
I swear they were turned into shark guys by some weird maguffin, too...

coogs42

Oct 10, 2010
I didn't expect all of this stuff just for Trolls. I have to say though, the Dreamworks film could be interesting, they've got great actors for the leads (Jason Schwartzman and Chloe Moretz) and apparently it's being inspired by Terry Prachet.

I have to say though Bob, I want to see you do some British stuff for this in the future. You know, episodes on Danger Mouse, Count Duckula, Aardman and even recent stuff like Horrible Histories (for those who have never heard of Horrible Histories, take a look at how they tackled the R.A.F in World War 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N07darJyUrY), Darwin's theory of natural selection (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt2gHpqfZNA) and the Borgias (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RaITtjcTy0))

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
drisky said:
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Don't forget Extreme Dinosaurs.
Or stuff like Project GKR after the booming popularity of The Mask.

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011
I never really got to know anything about Trolls despite growing up in the 90s. >.<

But I do remember half the 90s cartoons being super cheesy cash-ins while the other half were super good...

...like this one for instance:

0:39 Dat hair flip.

Dan W

Oct 15, 2012
Interesting choice of topic, I remember the sudden explosion in troll merchandise, but never realized just how far it went (multiple cartoons)

But I was disappointed to see that you missed one major troll cash in, TMNT trolls!
http://www.tmnttoys.com/93figures/trolls/trolls.jpg
They were toys only, never showing up in any of the various TMNT media as far as I'm aware. But they were enough of a success that a year later they produced giant (12") versions.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Sylocat said:
MovieBob said:
My personal favorite of these attempts was Hasbro's Battle Trolls, which reworked whatever boy-toy theme they could think of into Troll form. See: Count Trollula, Sergeant Troll, Trollclops, Punk Troll, Slapshot Troll, the Trollminator, &c.

And now, MLP fan artists are doing that with ponies...

The difference between trolls and ponies is that Ponies are awesome.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
I LOVED the Street Sharks. I used to have gloves that were in the shape of their heads, and you could chomp them and such. It was all really, really stupid.