The Big Picture: Trolling The 90s

Shadow-Fox

Nov 11, 2009
when you get around to those Turtles-wannabe shows, don't forget to mentions Biker Mice from Mars.
As a kid I actually really liked that show, in hindsight i wanna shoot my self as a kid ^^

NightmareExpress

Dec 31, 2012
The title really should have been "Trolling in the '90s" if not only to get a reference to that song.
Trolls. Why'd they get popular? Who knows. There's a few lurking in the depths of my basement waiting for their chance to strangle me. As they have been for a good two decades now.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
brazuca said:
If you are going to continue that trend on cartoons (hope not) talk about that transformers 3d or something that came in the 1990's.
If you're talking about Beast Wars, that show was the tits! Not just a bunch of 30-min commercials, but it had actual story with charismatic characters, and we all thought it was going to be the future of animation! That and...
The Gentleman said:
Aircross said:
I never really got to know anything about Trolls despite growing up in the 90s. >.<

But I do remember half the 90s cartoons being super cheesy cash-ins while the other half were super good...

...like this one for instance:

0:39 Dat hair flip.
God, I remember that series. I loved both the older and newer Johnny Quest series, especially since it felt like there was continuity between the two...
Aw yeah, that's the good stuff. As for what was in today's video, I had to mute the godawful theme songs and think to myself: "WTF did I just watch?!"

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
After having to relive all of these crappy 90's cartoons with generic archetype characters, please please please please make a mention of Poochie the Dog from the Simpsons.

And fyi, best cartoon from the 90's... Ducktales.

And heck since we're talking cartoons, how about some Robotech

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
How could I forget the Lynchian craziness that was the Street Sharks. Bob you need to talk about 90s stuff more often, I actually REMEMBER this stuff and the nostalgia is powerful

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
90's month?

Oh Bob, you tease. If you make an episode about Pokemon, I'll love you forever.

Yeah, its a long shot, but I can dream...

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
Hindkjaer said:
Darkwing duck too !!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=375ENQbru8s

Also being danish, his catchfraise (DW) in danish is SO MUCH BETTER than his American !!
(Mostly because it's a pun about feathers, and he is a duck.. "Lad os så vove fjerne"9

So on the behalf on danish people, and our creation of the Dam-troll.. DO DARKWING DUCK :D
This was a great show, I mean come on Tim Curry as Taurus Bulba. Other than that, well Tail Spin as well, probably, though I wasn't the biggest fan. Don't understand how young people can be nostalgic about 90s garbage, pathetic cash grabs, cartoons created by the marketing departments, and demographics tests. The music, the cartoons, mostly everything about the decade was truly awful. So glad I spent most of the 90s drunk in college, 92 to 96 i pretty fuzzy.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Did EVERY toy get a cartoon deal back then? Seriously, who really agreed to write, voice act, and produce the "Super Trolls?"

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Proverbial Jon said:
Come now people... we're forgetting about the 90's best TV show. Hands down, no competition...

OT: Street Sharks... my god. I remember them! I think I preferred them to the Biker Mice from Mars... marginally. I didn't really like many of the shows actually aimed at my gender! Probably explains why I like MLP now!

Now this is the sort of rubbish I watched:

[small]Still secretly like it...[/small]

I grew up in the 90s and I barely remember Trolls. I know my sister had a few of them but she's 15 years older than me so she was hardly the target audience at the time.

Aircross said:
...like this one for instance:
Isn't it odd how you forget about these things completely until you see the opening titles? I remember nothing about this show but I definitely remember that. Good god, if that isn't the most epic theme for a 90s cartoon, or possibly any show!
Problem is, the animation hasn't aged well.

In fact it kind of looks hideous compared to the films or even current television series of today. 2D animated cartoons, like Animaniacs, Batman the Animated Series, and Gargoyles, have aged far better.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
I loved me some street sharks back in the day along with the Biker Mice from Mars!

In other Aquatic themed TV shows, does anyone remember Sharky and George? I loved that show and was sad when it dropped off the map

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
Huh. I remember my sister had afew of those Troll dolls, but I don't remember any of the other things. I do vaguely remember the Street Sharks, mostly because of a recent Robot Chicken sketch, but TMNT for life meant none of that silly knock-off stuff. Looking back on these cartoons reminds me why I liked Power Rangers so much more...

If this is 90's month all of a sudden, can we please have something good from the 90's, like, say, Star Trek and all the other sci-fi shows trying to cash on the same viewers? Seriously, did anyone like Babylon 5 or Star Gate?

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Fucking street sharks! Those were the days. There's just a charm to the dim witted, micro budget, pre-CGI approach to 90s cartoons that isn't their these days. The marginal increase in animation and writing standards has transformed kids entertainment from so bad it's good, to just plain bad. Of course, I might be just a tad bias.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
Problem is, the animation hasn't aged well.

In fact it kind of looks hideous compared to the films or even current television series of today. 2D animated cartoons, like Animaniacs, Batman the Animated Series, and Gargoyles, have aged far better.
Well now, I think that's a matter of opinion. I think ReBoot still looks pretty good; I certainly don't cringe when I watch it. In fact the animation, although a little wooden in places, holds up quite well. The lip syncing especially, that's one of my pet peeves with low budget 2D animation, they always seem to find a way to cheat with lip sync.

I actually watched the entirety of ReBoot not that long ago and was impressed by how enthralling the storyline was; it starts to get quite complex in the later series' It's not the graphical quality that makes a good show; there's plenty of good looking dross on TV at the moment.

crotalidian said:
In other Aquatic themed TV shows, does anyone remember Sharky and George? I loved that show and was sad when it dropped off the map
Sharky and George, the crime busters of the sea! I can still hear that theme tune. Good times.

EDIT:

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Street Sharks... now THERE'S a TV series I watched like Hell as a kid... So much so I want to buy all the episodes on DVD or iTunes or whatever, but I can't for the life of me find any.

Also, I like how Bob treated it as a pure "WTF?" but I'm sitting here straight-faced, like "yep, Street Sharks... what's so weird about this, again?"

Necrofudge

May 17, 2009
I always had this warm nostalgia for the 90s, but after watching the last two videos, I realized I probably wouldn't ever want to live there or see maybe 99% of what was aired in those days. My childhood is dead.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
How did I miss all this crap? About the only shows I remember from the 90's was TMNT, ReBoot, Power Rangers (which I didn't watch, but was aware of), Skeleton Warriors, and ST:TNG. It's like the 90's were a golden age when any damn thing could become a show.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
All I remember about DiC animation was I think they did that MASK tie in which had a pretty good theme song.

Dun Dun Du...MASK!