The Big Picture: Tropes vs. MovieBob

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
Eri said:
snip

And no, it's not a scam. But I know no one who puts out any of those series I mentioned gets paid 4200$ per week for 36 weeks of work or anywhere close to that amount. And that's if I just round to an even 150k she's getting paid, MORE is coming in so it's an even higher amount than that.
She only asked for $6k. The rest has been freely donated above and beyond what she requested, and none of that is her fault. It's people freely giving their money, and its their money to give. What exactly is the problem?

Madshadow

Mar 10, 2011
Honestly it doesn't really matter especially if you watch at television the last 20 years even movies and such, In the early days there was a allot of male bravado and such and if you look now it has really diminished.

Same will probably happen with video games.

Twilight is probably something as well you can use as an example.

First of all when men invent something they will experiment with it and even have fun with it we at first don't really take into consideration if it would appeal to some one else. And that doesn't make it bad just bad timing.

Seeing we always had the primary engineering role among the male/female.

But if you want honest information about.
And this will may probably offend many female check: http://www.youtube.com/user/girlwriteswhat?feature=g-all-c

It's a very smart woman who's may not with the MRM/MRA but is a supporter and has allot of interesting stuff to say about feminists.
Yes it may be a bit off topic but it's well worth it to delve into it.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
My opinion of the project hasn't changed much since hearing about it: good idea, bad person to cover the topic. She just seems far too unforgiving of excueses (aka context) for why decisions get made as her mind is made up: it's concious sexism that needs to stop, with no follow up for ideas. Left to fan made youtube videos, that itself isn't without merit, but she wanted money, and I'm afraid the money she needed for "research" will go to a video listing a number of princesses we've rescued, while ignoring how simplistic video game stroies dominatly were until the PS2 era. If rescuing a princess is sexist, then are all the alien invasion's we've stopped count as xenophobia? Is the amount of wildlife I've slaughtered in RPGs going to get PETA on my ass?

If I have to respect anything in her about this, it is her business sense. 25x her asking investment plus a shitload for free publicity even in some legitimate press. You have to admire that.

And in fairness Bob, I think men are prone to visual discrimination in employment to an unfair degree. (of course any is too much, but still) Reading blog posts and comments on jobs and hiring I've seen more than a few people that would avoid at all cost hiring people that are overweight, covered in acne, possessed of bad hair, ect. We just don't have a history of it, nor a movement to call employers that ascribe certain physical traits to how you'd perform the job.

Logodaedalus

Aug 14, 2011
I think the point that people make about girls getting things like Twilight and Trashy Romance novels don't really hold water. Even though there are plenty of them out there the medium they are in as a whole is still very diverse, there are still loads of films for other audiences that aren't single straight women.

Games, not so much, there are very few games that have good female characters. Now to be fair there aren't exactly a plethora of amazing male characters either and I don't think the disparity between good female and male characters is nearly as bad, but the fact that the default 'can't be arsed to give them a personality' option is sex-toy for women and beefcake for men is discouraging.

However much more importantly, whether this woman is right or not should not matter. Looking at games critically is always a good idea, developers should always be looking at ways to better themselves and their works. these videos are being used at universities and such so they know what to look out for when people write female characters, so they don't just fall into the same tropes but start to make more interesting and well rounded human beings, not just stereotypes. And no, this doesn't mean that every game will be some silly Politically correct rainbow coalition of charecters that have every single minority in them, but it will hopefully result in some more interesting and diverse games. I mean there's nothing wrong with a bit more variety, right?

Also, she just asked people to contribute towards her making high quality videos without having to have them be preceded by adverts. If you compare a random youtuber with for instance TotalBiscuit you will notice a huge gap in quality, this is because he takes a lot of time and money to achieve his high standards and he can do this because he has ads in front of his videos that get him loads of revenue. Anita Sarkeesian doesn't want to have ads in front of her videos and is just asking for some money so she can focus more of her time on this projects, and if you find that that isn't needed you can just not donate money to her, but that isn't an excuse to harass her with death threats.

5ilver

Aug 25, 2010
Darn, Moviebob, here I was thinking my opinion of you couldn't drop any lower.
Probably the most painful part of the clip was "women won't get a job because they look mediocre but men will because who cares about what men look like". Idk how it's like in the good ol us of a, but here in the EU, it's pretty much identical.
You don't look as fit as an underwear model(either male or female)? Gratz, you just lost out on a TON of job opportunities.

The entire thing just stank of double standards and white knight nonsense to me and I'm not even anti-feminist :(

pyro42

Aug 22, 2009
Lieju said:
Isn't it also offensive to men to assume they all want skimpily dressed big-boobed women (or, if we're looking at Japanese stuff, 10-year old girls)?

Not everyone finds the same kind of body-type sexy. For example, I like Ivy's over-the-top design, but she definitely isn't sexy to me. She looks too silly for that.

Female characters I find attractive tend to be more realistically proportioned, even fat by the screwed-up standards of videogames, and even more importantly, funny and smart and interesting characters.

Chatney said:
Pointing out examples of "sexist" characters in media is easy and pointless. Rather than focusing our energy on trying to make our media somehow more fair and honest (which is in and of itself a laugh, just look at films and TV series) we should focus our attention on how women are actually treated, you know, the stuff that actually matters.
Isn't how an issue is portrayed in the media indicative on how it is viewed in society?
And how exactly does complaining about video-games (and I'd like to remind you that this is a video-game forum) somehow make it impossible to also focus on how women are treated in real life?

Besides, I'm a fan of video-games, and I'd very much like to have interesting realistic female characters in them.

Not the most important cause in the world, true, but it's not like whining about it on the net (or even playing video-games) is ALL I do with my life.
that is very true, though in the case of Ivy i think she is soport to be ironice, or at least i hope so.

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
Bob completely missed the big picture sure men in video games are designed to appeal to men, but that's neither here nor there since the same damn thing happen in things designed for women ever seen a teen magazine and how they portray men, I mean the only reason since we don't have the same kind of portray of women and men as in other media's is because the majority women aren't interested in games.

Mahha

May 20, 2009
It's a real shame that more women in games don't have the depth (well they could do with more than the level in SH3 but it's a start(or something)) and the realistic body portrayal of Heather in Silent Hill 3

I mean looking back on it, the combination of realistic look and an interesting personality is way more appealing than say Lara Croft.

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
animehermit said:
Shirokurou said:
Let's start a kick-starter on how Twilight is sexist to men, vampires, werewolves and native Americans.

Also, that Jabberjaw ep is a must now, Bob.
Actually Twilight is more sexist to women than anything. Being written by a female doesn't make something less sexist.
If that is true then either all the women who saw it and loved it are: 1 stupid, 2 sexist themselves and shouldn't have any right to call out games or 3 twilight was not sexist and just a movie designed for women.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
Colour-Scientist said:
What I don't understand is the outrage over how much money she received and the amount of people saying that she should give it to charity.
When Extra Credits started a similar campaign, people donated generously and they received more than their target amount. Where was the anger then? Why weren't people telling EC that there were children starving in Africa?
The amount she got annoys me a bit.

I gave EC a dollar (would'a probably gave 5 if they didn't already hit their mark), because I loved their videos, they actually needed it (injury) , and I trusted them to do something good with the excess.

What she got is 3/2 what EC got, and watching some of her videos, it doesn't seem she's all that insightful to deserve it. I highly doubt most of her money is from people who watched her videos and deciding that she is either. I feel she got so much money just for being a female saying "I'm going to make some videos against sexism in videogames". I guess she could prove me wrong...I just don't see it happening though, and you sorta have to put it into scope how much $150k is. That's more than the vast majority of people make in a year.

However, I think any actual outrage is unjustified and she definitely doesn't deserve any flak for money she got that she didn't even ask for(I know I sure as fuck wouldn't turn down $158k, even if I was going to have to use it all and couldn't pocket it), and it's not as if everyone who gets large amounts of money deserves it in this society and I don't see outrage that NFL players aren't giving away their generous pays to charity.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
I always get a kick when people say this holds women or men back. Does anyone really expect a women to be a DD cup star athlete. Or a man to be able to hold a job down raise a family and have the rock hard body of greek god. If so point and laugh at them.

The rest of us work in the real world and use games as an escape from it. i will use one of those girls now as a point Julie from lolliepop chain saw. Most guys would be tired of here by the weeks end.

Please let it go people who are doing this don't care about real women. No there in it for fast money and attition. If it bugs you so much don't play it. The promblem is the second you try to stop someone else from playing it. You become a new promblem. Plus even if she makes this video the only people who will watch it are already in her camp.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
corrosiveblood said:
http://www.youtube.com/embed/igXz_hXKUcE
This video says it all about these "documentaries".
I dont know who the person wanting to make this series is, and i'm really not against it.... But yeah, asking for money to do it is outrageous. There are plenty of series on Youtube that are free, this really does come across as a horrible con-job to get money for doing near to nothing. If you support this type of thing, then good, but in this case, sorry but you're getting suckered out of your cash plain & simple.

mdqp

Oct 21, 2011
Just in case nobody linked this video yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QE6YtkbjGw

Whenever sexism issues are brought up, this is the first thing that comes to my mind! ;)