The Big Picture: Waterworks - Darren Aronofsky's Noah

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Waterworks - Darren Aronofsky's Noah

MovieBob takes a look at the controversy surrounding Darren Aronofsky's upcoming Noah.

Watch Video

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Thank you for bringing up the fact that not all Christians take the early stories in the book of Genesis as fact but rather as parts of a story.

impocalyptic

Oct 31, 2011
I think you meant the story of Abraham. There isn't a book of Abraham. Still, I'm with you 100% on this. It's Aronofsky. It's worth a shot.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Gotta say, I was going to overlook this movie until watching this episode of Big Picture, so I think you can rest assured that this particular episode has served it's purpose.

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
Yaaay!! Bob recognises that Christians can have differing beliefs and that many people (not all) use athiesm to create a sense of superiority!

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Not drawing Christians under one picture certainly makes the whole episode look more approachable.

I'm probably going to see this film, so the judgement on one's own merits can commence on my front.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I guess I'm going to have to see The Ten Commandments again sometime; I don't remember it taking as many artistic liberties as you're suggesting. I do remember it being insanely long and slow-paced, though, which might account for why I don't remember much else about it.

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Gotta say, I was going to overlook this movie until watching this episode of Big Picture, so I think you can rest assured that this particular episode has served it's purpose.
The same, I skipped on the trailers, but it looks kinda kickass

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I've always been intrigued by the idea of "Christianity/Judaism as straight Mythology" so despite being one of those irreligious types I intend to check it out... so like Moviebob I'm hoping that this is something at least thought provoking...

Though last time Aronofsky worked with a budget we got The Fountain... and that was weird...

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
I'm a lutheran and I didn't know about this whole debate about stories set before noah's flood were metaphors.

National Geographic did a show about what would happen in a noah's flood senario in the modern age however they brought up the point that there isn't enough water on earth to flood the world. There answer, a giant ice asteroid hits the moon forming a disc of debris around the earth that over 300 years falls to earth as rain causing the oceans to rise to over 13,000 feet. You can find it on youtube under "How to surive the end of the world" and they also have done other sernaios but they set the bar WAY too high with there first project Evacuate Earth about trying to save a faction of humaninty from a collision with a rouge neutron star 75 years from now.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I was gonna pass on this one, but after hearing about how it's actually presented, I think I actually want to see it. I'll wait for the review, but it's looking good.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
What about a movie based off of some of the stuff from Numbers? Like Korah's Rebellion, or the tale of Balaam the prophet? You know, "How lovely are your tents o' Jacob" and all that.

nima55

Paladin of Traffic Law
Nov 14, 2010
Hmm yeah I was actually planning to skip this one because I thought Exactly what they were worried about; that it was, at best, gonna be creationist propaganda. Good to learn otherwise.

varmintx

Oct 6, 2011
People denying themselves the enjoyment of watching Ben Hur because it's a "Bible movie" is depressing. As for Noah, it's Darren Aronofsky, that alone makes me want to watch it.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
PedroSteckecilo said:
I've always been intrigued by the idea of "Christianity/Judaism as straight Mythology" so despite being one of those irreligious types I intend to check it out... so like Moviebob I'm hoping that this is something at least thought provoking...

Though last time Aronofsky worked with a budget we got The Fountain... and that was weird...
I'm one of those snarky, atheist, intellectual sorts and I freakin' love mythology. Abrahamic mythology is some of the best and most interesting out there. Also, I enjoyed The Fountain thoroughly, the critics be damned.

OT: I don't think the snarky atheist sorts give Christian based movies a miss because they are snarky atheists. I think they do it because of the fact that they tend to be sanitized, preachy works that are more about message mongering than being entertaining. That may be fine for the audiences they are intended for, but I'm not spending cash to be bored by a Sunday sermon. This is Darren Freakin' Aronofsky though, who is one of my very favorite directors. I'll be seeing this.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
varmintx said:
People denying themselves the enjoyment of watching Ben Hur because it's a "Bible movie" is depressing.
As long they remember to stop the movie after the carriage race, they be fine. (Terrible ending)

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
PedroSteckecilo said:

You should read Milton's "Paradise Lost".

Maybe someone can follow this up with another big action "Bible Movie" based on "Paradise Lost". There are a lot of scenes in the poem that would be absolutely epic, especially the war in heaven stuff. If I remember right, at one point someone drops and entire mountain on Satan's head.

lockgar

Nov 5, 2008
Yeah I agree Bob, modern day Atheism is pretty bad. "This movie isn't about pissing off Christians? Trash!"