The Big Picture: What the Duck?

SeeDarkly_Xero

Jan 24, 2014
Well... as interesting as the review of Howard the Duck might have been...
the referential nod toward Bakshi actually interested me more! For a long time I keep forgetting that I want to see an old animation film called Fire & Ice and because of Bob's mention of Bakshi's Wizards I discovered the link... and just put both movies on hold at the library. ( Ialso had no idea he was responsible for Cool World until now!
I own the incomplete production of Bakshi's Lord of the Rings on VHS, but clearly never paid it much attention because I'd always assumed that was a followup to The Hobbit from Rankin/Bass, despite the obvious difference in animation styles and the fact it was produced first. Further research, all thanks to this episode of Big Picture, had led me to discover that Rankin/Bass also produced Return of the King which acts to complete what Bakshi left unfinished in what was apparently planned as a two-film venture. I had always thought I just had a faulty version of the tape that I picked up for $1 at the library.

Also found that Coonskin is available at though my library (and even under THAT title, not "Bustin' Out") though Fritz the Cat does not appear to be [which I find curious if only because the library carries such fare as Caligula.) The obvious racial issues, controversial nature, and probable offenses not withstanding, I'm interested to see it now too.
I plan to do more research myself, but if Moviebob had a moment for it, I wouldn't mind seeing a BP devoted to Bakshi... I think it could be extremely interesting!

K12

Dec 28, 2012
As someone who deliberately avoided the "Who was that at the end of Guardians of the Galaxy?" because he hasn't seen it yet (yeah I know, I've been busy) it's slightly annoying to have the post credits scene spoiled here unnecessarily.

It's not a very important spoiler but it didn't need to be here. You could have just said "here's a look at the infamous Howard the Duck" without needing to spoil that he (or something relating to him) was revealed at the end of GotG. (also if I've got this completely wrong then please don't respond to this with whatever the real post-credits reveal was)

SnowWookie

Nov 22, 2012
xPixelatedx said:
When it comes to aliens I find this philosophy works best: If you can share a drink with it in a bar, it's ethically boneable.

I mean, am I wrong?
Not only are you not wrong, that may be one of the greatest sentences written on the internet.

but yeah, in this case, it still came across as borderline bestiality and I remember even as a kid thinking this scene is just weird and wrong.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Huh. That theory of how Star Wars might have indirectly killed off adult animation is an interesting one. I'd always assumed it was a victim of the Moral Majority, like most edgy things from the '70s that didn't survive the '80s. (Fun fact: You could have topless women in a PG movie once upon a time; witness Airplane. Even knowing that PG back then was more the equivalent of PG-13, that's hard to believe.)

Darkathy said:
I love how everyone is saying Marvel shouldnt make one cause the Lucas movie was bad...
Yeah, I mean, by that logic, Disney shouldn't be making more Star Wars movies either. *ba-dum tish*

Man, this really does just all come together, dunnit. Marvel, Lucasfilm, and the character Howard is a perfect doppelganger of, now all under the same banner. It would be kind of a missed opportunity if they didn't do something with the character.

SnowWookie said:
xPixelatedx said:
When it comes to aliens I find this philosophy works best: If you can share a drink with it in a bar, it's ethically boneable.

I mean, am I wrong?
Not only are you not wrong, that may be one of the greatest sentences written on the internet.
I'd keep it under my hat if I were you. If any furries stumble across it, it could be a full-blown meme within a week. ;)

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
PunkRex said:
In the film's defense, the Dark Overlord's design/animation (by Phil Tippett according to Wiki) is pretty cool.
Yeah, I remember thinking that creature looked pretty damn amazing (for as otherwise boring and relentless as that scene feels). The same for the incredibly long ultralight chase designed by Joe Johnston.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I remember seeing this, but I don't remember much else about it other than a few scattered scenes. In retrospect I'm pretty sure Mom only let me watch it because she didn't realize it wasn't a kid's movie. I'm also fairly certain I repressed to whole potential bestiality thing.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Well Bob, shock horror I actually agree with you on something:)

I was one of those Gen-Xs who watched it on VHS and thought it was absolutely stellar.

However, on watching it again online about a year ago it was as you called it, a badly worked mish-mash of a movie that didn't really know what it was trying to achieve.

But at the time? Man did I love that movie. I even liked the song.

Cringe.

IrisNetwork

Sep 11, 2013
This movie was actually rated PG. Beastiality is suitable for all ages. Don't forget the duck tits.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
theNater said:
castlewise said:
So this episode dredged up some half forgotten memory of mine that I need help with. I remember a weird sci-fi movie from when I was a kid that had a magic glowing purse, and a big finale at some sort of giant sattelite dish. Can anyone help me out?
Is is My Stepmother is an Alien?
I think that was it! Hmmmm. I wonder why I thought if it all of a sudden.

Liberkhaos

Mar 14, 2014
I really liked that movie as a kid. But I will admit being scared of watching it again and go all "What the hell was I thinking" on it.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
ugh... Howard the duck is not going to be done in the MCU. If he shows up again it'll be another snarky cameo, and i doubt there'll be another cameo. Guardians was another victory lap, mostly for it's own existence, but also for the MCU getting basically an unlimited budget to make all the movies they want. Marvel will get a dose of reality when it's first bad movie comes out (ant-man, it will be ant-man, calling it now) and then there will be serious world-building and story chops coming into play again. So go ahead and laugh but don't think much of it, Howard's chances of importance are comparable to shawarma's.

Also Moviebob, didn't you already do a howard the duck deconstruction review? or am i remembering someone else?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
PunkRex said:
In the film's defense, the Dark Overlord's design/animation (by Phil Tippett according to Wiki) is pretty cool.
Yup, also Howard himself, though quite obviously a dwarf in a suit with a robotic head, still has some pretty impressive and quite convincing facial expressions, kinda like the turtles in the TMNT 90's films.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Personally, I think that if Howard has to be a part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, it should be as a side/cameo character. If anyone wants to find out more about this movie but doesn't want to watch it, I suggest the reviews done by the Nostalgia Critic and/or SFDebris. Trust me, they're leagues better than the actual Howard the Duck movie...

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
The movie is an epitome of pre 2000's terrible that I grew up on and god I hate/love it...
I'd like to see Marvel take another stab at it, I think it could work really well with the mentality of film makers these days. If it does fail it's not like they lose a huge franchise like Green Lantern or something, it will just be "Oh, they did Howard the Duck again. Whatever." and nothing of value will be lost. Other than that sweet cash money but I feel they'd be ready to lose if they were to try it anyway. A kind of large gamble.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I've already been Ninja'ed about three times here, but agreed: I watched this movie as a kid, and the only thing I remembered about it was how cool the Dark Overlord looked. He was like some sort of laser shooting scorpion monster...thing. Regardless, really cool design and I was sort of stunned considering how bizarre and not-awesome the rest of the movie was.

Living Contradiction

Clearly obfusticated
Nov 8, 2009
tzimize said:
Well...no. Just no. I dont think even todays marvel could pull this off. Or....could they...?
Heh. If you're going to fail, why not fail with style? Or a complete lack of taste? Or by proving that yes, there are things that were created a few decades ahead of the technology that might've made them kinda neat?

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
PunkRex said:
It was great, in the 80's. Sadly, the effect doesn't hold up very well anymore, since the dark overlord appears to be off color with the rest of the film.

Also, whenever I am forced to think about this movie, DUCK SEX pops into my head. X_X

teamcharlie

Jan 22, 2013
Man. I'd forgotten until Bob's Howard the Duck videos that that was Lea Thompson playing opposite the special effects furry. She was just all about trying to get into the pants of taboo sex partners in the '80s, huh?

I doubt I'm alone in this, but I think pushing the boundaries of what's socially acceptable is a neat thing for movies to do, and I always kinda respected Howard the Duck for that. Maybe it's good to be uncomfortable sometimes.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
This movie along with back to the future were the reason Lea Thompson became one of my first crushes.