The Big Picture: Who's Afraid of Captain America?

doctorjackal777

May 25, 2009
I guess I don't like Captain Amerika because the implications creep me out. Let's me start my saying I don't read the comics and I haven't seen the movie this is just all stuff I've 'heard' and may not be completely accurate to his character.

Let's start by the idea behind his creation:
A young military soldier, is drafted into a mad science project funded by the Amerikan government and turned into a Super Soldier and then dressed up in the Amerikan flag.

That's so ridiculous it's kinda funny, but admittedly no more ridiculous than any other superhero origin story so I can let it go.

But it's the implications of any kind of superhero working for a particular countries government that is concerning.

Unlike other superheros like say Superman, who fight for the benefit of all humans, Captain Amerika fights for well Amerika. He's a soldier in their military and so he's following the same orders as all the normal soldiers.

The very real possibility of the Amerikan government just pointing the super soldier on their payroll at any person/group/foreign country they don't like and saying "Alright son, go beat them up for a while until they give in to our demands" is incredibly creepy.

Now I'm pretty sure Captain Amerika has enough of a brain to not just become a mindless weapon for the man in office, but still I'm pretty sure the people that funded the project were kinda hoping he would be.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
See, the UK doesnt need a national superhero...we have Bond. lol. Seriously, America shuts themselves off from competion. Like super bowl. Maybe you will get your arses kicked by other countries, but that should make your teams play better.