The Big Picture: Who's Afraid of Captain America?

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Who's Afraid of Captain America?

This week, MovieBob rants about Captain America.

Watch Video

unicron44

Oct 12, 2010
Like you touched upon, people usually think of Americans as fat assholes and see Captain America as some sort of bragging. But isn't James Bond sort of like English bragging? Not sure if I understand my point, but whatever.

Also I'm afraid I'm not going to believe Chris Evans as Captain America. Sometimes I forget his name all together and call him Johnny Storm or Human Torch.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
well, at least this week wasn't flame bait like last week (very mature bob)
but i loved how this one turned from a discussion about controversy and Captain America into
"Let's settle all world conflicts with Street Figher!"
XD

Zer0Kill

May 9, 2010
I agree. It didn't really get to the same depth as the halo analysis, which I think it really could have. I mean, it's Captain America. Bob even said it, he's always been deeper than people tend to give him credit for.

thespis721

Oct 18, 2010
I was into it very strongly when we were going to go into Captain America's implications on the American stage until it started wandering off into other country's patriotism and making a Captain Brazil movie or whatever. I kind of get what he was doing there, but it didn't seem to have as much of a thesis behind it.

So to speak.

thespis721

Oct 18, 2010
dt61 said:
Like you touched upon, people usually think of Americans as fat assholes and see Captain America as some sort of bragging. But isn't James Bond sort of like English bragging? Not sure if I understand my point, but whatever.

Also I'm afraid I'm not going to believe Chris Evans as Captain America. Sometimes I forget his name all together and call him Johnny Storm or Human Torch.
Duh. His name is Lucas Lee.

Mar 30, 2010
First off, it took us ages to get rid of that simple minded, simpering man-child Galaxy so kindly bought off of us, so no, we're not taking him back. [sub]Seriously, please keep him.[/sub]

And secondly, I'd say that Britain does have 'superheroes', except they don't wear Spandex and have radioactive powers. Bob, I'll see you an Ironman and a Captain America and raise you a James Bond and a Sherlock Holmes!

unicron44

Oct 12, 2010
thespis721 said:
dt61 said:

Duh. His name is Lucas Lee.
That's him in Scott Pilgrim right? I haven't seen it yet.

Styphax

Jun 3, 2009
Not a bad one, but Superheroes are a very American Genre for the most part. Look how most of the Brits, barring Grant Morrison tend to write them, as parodies, or they turn them more mythic al la Gaiman (and even Morrison).

Rarhnor

Jun 2, 2010
Scandinavia could have some sort of Norse god as a hero. Like maybe Thor. Wait...

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
"We already have enough opportunities to wave our... colours... around and be onoxious" would have been a little more entertaining, and more apt too, just in a figurative sense.
And we gave you Beckham because we didn't want him, Oliver still won't properly leave though. I dread the upcoming Sainsbury's christmas adverts...

OT: A little wishy-washy to be honest, but I see your points.

Tangouser

Aug 12, 2008
GoldenShadow said:
The black and white faces should go.
He should at least reduce how much the uses them. Bob seems to just cycle through random faces whenever he doesn't have a related picture to show, and they creep me out!!

Ampersand

May 1, 2010
Ordinarily anything that was made in america and had the word america in it would annoy the hell out of me, but I actually really like captain america. There are alot of things I love about him as a character, most of all that he carries a shield instead of a weapon. Frankly I think, not only americans but, everyone can learn something from that.

I'm not sure if there are any note worthy Irish super heroes........unless there's one i don't know about in which case, would someone please fill me in.

Edit: if someone says Banshee I will be upset.

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
Check your data! A lot of your facts were fiction.

Also on the topic of faces. Maybe use the same one that has different poses that way its not like some creepy alien head that keeps shape changing based on the direction it looks in.