The Biggest Hoax Of All Time?

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Agayek said:
Here's the way I see it:

If global warming is real, the human race as we know it is doomed. However, we already knew that. Everything dies eventually, we may as well go out via the ice caps melting.

If global warming is not real, oh well, that takes away some of the fun. We can't have live reenactments of Water World :(.

Is it just me, or does it seem to anyone else that it really does not matter whether global warming is true or not? We're all gonna die eventually, why worry about how?
I guess your not planning to have children...

Hunde Des Krieg

Sep 30, 2008
WeedWorm said:
Hunde Des Krieg said:
Who fucking cares? The world isn't some static paradise designed for humans to play around in. The earth does what it does and everything on it is along for the ride. all living things affect it and are affected by it. Adapt or die.
George Carlin fan by any chance?
Yeah kinda, not like a die hard fan, but I thought he was hilarious.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
WeedWorm said:
Hunde Des Krieg said:
Who fucking cares? The world isn't some static paradise designed for humans to play around in. The earth does what it does and everything on it is along for the ride. all living things affect it and are affected by it. Adapt or die.
Carlin was a fantastic comedian - but who would take his logic seriously...

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
D_987 said:
Not really, but even if I was I'd still have the same attitude. Every single thing will die, or end, eventually. Why worry about how it'll happen?

Ken Korda

Nov 21, 2008
I'm afraid that I haven't read the whole thread so I apologise if this has already been answered but what possible incentive is there for scientists to lie about human caused climate change? What will they gain?

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Agayek said:
D_987 said:
Not really, but even if I was I'd still have the same attitude. Every single thing will die, or end, eventually. Why worry about how it'll happen?
Because I don't want my children (and their children etc...) to live in an near-Apocalyptic nightmare because some lazy people couldn't be bothered to do some very basic things.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
You could argue that humans are simply facilitating nature with global warming. However, doing so is not helping our continued existence.

confernal

Feb 5, 2009
I believe the theory of global warming was around before Al Gore came around... How do I know this? Because I remmber talking about 11 years ago before it became popular. Al Gore and others just decided to jump on the ban wagon when people started to worry about it so they could be popular.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
People! A more pressing concern is the amount of poisons we are pumping into our food, water and air supplies!

If you don't believe in global warming at LEAST see to these measures so we don't poison ourselves to the point of extinction!

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
Minimike3636 said:
Yog Sothoth...

You're basically fueled my arguement when you posted that quote. According to that quote, the scientists believe "The changes may actually have started with the dawn of agriculture." As I stated in one of my previous comments, dying vegetation is largely responsible for the contribution of harmful gases to the atmosphere. As are volcanoes. Now unless you want to go around watering everyone's garden and place giant man-hole covers on the volcanoes, then I suggest you should just let the world warm up a bit, because it's going to cool down sometime.
Read the whole quote, don't just cherry pick statements. Some scientists believe it may have started with the advent of agriculture. But we do know that burning coal and emitting CFCs contribute to the greenhouse effect, and that we're producing more of these elements now than at any other time in history.

I'm not claiming to be an expert on the subject, but I read enough to see that the majority of the scientific community agrees that man is having at least some impact on climate change.

Jimmyjames

Jan 4, 2008
I personally believe that it's hard to deny that humans are doing damage to the earth. The greatest danger is that no one seems to give a shit. I don't see hardly anyone doing anything. Should we make the earth uninhabitable, we deserve it.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
D_987 said:
Because I don't want my children (and their children etc...) to live in an near-Apocalyptic nightmare because some lazy people couldn't be bothered to do some very basic things.
Problem 1 with that supposition:

You suppose humanity would survive. While I have no way to know whether we will or not, I am confident that humanity as we know it will cease to exist if global warming ever reaches a point it could be described as Apocalyptic.

I'm not saying don't do what you can to alleviate the issues, such as it is, just don't stress over it. Stress never helped anyone.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
Hunde Des Krieg said:
My hat's off to you, sir.

WeedWorm

Nov 23, 2008
Hunde Des Krieg said:
WeedWorm said:
Hunde Des Krieg said:
Yeah kinda, not like a die hard fan, but I thought he was hilarious.
Well, yeah, thats what everyone thinks of him. Except for the people he makes fun of obviously.

D_987 said:
WeedWorm said:
Hunde Des Krieg said:
Carlin was a fantastic comedian - but who would take his logic seriously...
He was right about some stuff, self help, guys named Tod, pretty much the whole of Complaints and Grievances actually.

Goldeneye1989

Deathwalker
Mar 9, 2009
ok well hang on, if half the planent animals die, wouldint that automatically lower the amout of greenhouse gasses that they produce, therefore culling of the weak links in the system, if humans happpen to be one of those weak links then well i guess "Thems the breaks"

li-ion

Dec 19, 2008
Delicious said:
I don't think we have nearly as grand of an effect as we think we do it. We might have a small one, yes, but it is probably going to happen whether we happen to be here or not. The difference is when.

Hurray human egotism!
A single human might not have an effect, but we all together have an effect on the world. We are everywhere, manage to exploit and destroy most of nature in our way in blissful ignorance. Thanks to widespread denial of evidence brought up by scientists we still seem to march on as if nothing happened.

hurray human ignorance!

Ryuzaki

The Public Face of L
Nov 5, 2008
People like to believe that we are in control of things, even if that control has negative effects. Water vapour accounts for the vast majority of greenhouse gases (99.9% volume, 95% effect). Human produced green-house gases (not just CO2, others like methane as well) account for about 0.17% of all green house effects.
Even then greenhouse gases do not affect the climate to a large extent. The orbit of the Earth, the wobble on its axis and the changing in the amount of energy coming from Sun affect it to a much greater extent.
People, subconsciously like the idea of enhanced global warming because it means that in some way we are in control of the climate. In reality volcanoes pump out more greenhouse gases than humans each year, we have no control over the climate of Earth.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
What about the fact that 97% of carbon dioxide is emitted naturally? and that the biggest producers are decaying plants, volcanoes, the ocean, and large forest fires? Nobody is sure if we are causing global warming, people can use this as a fear mongering technique and money grubbing guilt with carbon taxes. Truth is the most likely culprit in global warming is sunspot activity. Note: i neither agree nor disagree I just think aruguing over Global warming doesn't solve anything.