The Biggest Hoax Of All Time?

cormacd12

Dec 26, 2008
You're grandchildren are going to hate you, you ignoramus. There's a wealth of information on the internet about climate change, which is about as proven (if not quite as commonly accepted) as the theory of evolution.

cuddly_tomato

Nov 12, 2008
super_smash_jesus said:
cuddly_tomato said:
The Sahara WAS a jungle just 5000 years ago. A mere single degree of Celcius temperate difference was enough to turn it into a desert.

Human polution is changing the climate by that much per century, and accelerating it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f4/Instrumental_Temperature_Record.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bc/2000_Jahre_Temperaturen-Vergleich.png

The biggest hoax are the governments who, rather than actually do make economic sacrifices for the sake of the environment, have managed to pull the wool over the eyes of supposedly educated people.
and don't quote wikipedia as fact too often, that will come back and bite you in the ass more often than not.
http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs/Fig.A2.txt

NASAs data was used to compile that information.

The worlds temperature has risen half a degree in 50 years - fact.

Now that might not sound like too much, but imagine filling a kettle the size of the earth, and then trying to heat it up by half a degree. That is how much extra energy is in the earths air, oceans, and surface layers right now, and why we are getting more severe storms with higher frequency.

Yes, it has happened in the past. But it is happening now because of us. It isn't a hoax, it is pure fact. And it has never, as far as we know, happened in the past at such a fast rate change unless brought on by a major environmental catastrophe such as a super-volcano or meteor strike.

CrustyMedic

Mar 19, 2009
Arguements on both sides, but I still think that we should not use our planet as a toilet re:polution. I for one don't like to play in a sandbox where someone else has pee'd

KamachoMcSagget

Mar 22, 2009
What you had to say was intresting. But that is NOT the biggest, most evil hoax of all time, evar (ever).

The biggest hoax is Onechanbara: Bikini Sammurai Squad taking the stuff I love most, and making it into a terrible game that I baught instead of saving up for Chinatown wars. All game critics were in on this because all the reviews (where it got 1/5 or 3/10 or other scores like that) came out only a week AFTER I baught it. THAT is the biggest hoax ever, as it was a really low blow.

TheLivingDaylights

Mar 31, 2009
As an added side note, I consulted my uncle, a paleoclimatologist. (Oh noes teh big wordz confuse me) He says he ran the numbers, and we should be on our way to cooling by 2020. I guess then you guys can bring back love...

WinkyTheGreat

Sep 6, 2008
I don't have much time to do any actual research but there is an interesting argument I found a while back. It's not "real research" or very scientific, but it does bring up good points. I used to think Global Warming was fake, now I think otherwise. When/ if I have time to do some research and bring some real facts to the argument you may see me back.

http://www.break.com/index/tough-to-argue.html

Samoftherocks

Oct 4, 2008
TheLivingDaylights said:
As an added side note, I consulted my uncle, a paleoclimatologist. (Oh noes teh big wordz confuse me) He says he ran the numbers, and we should be on our way to cooling by 2020. I guess then you guys can bring back love...
Why should a cooling in 2020 matter when you're saying that we shouldn't attempt to conserve and be more ecologically minded, even if it's based around a lie, because you think humans will be eradicated first. By your logic, a meteor will happen before a global self-correction would so whatever you've been told is moot.

Have a LITTLE faith, bro. Conserving and trying to live "green" isn't a bad thing, regardless of the catalyst towards that end.

nolongerhere

Winter is coming.
Nov 19, 2008
While I agree with you mostly, humans add to the effect. Not much, but we do. Certainly not enough that we could actualy change what is happening.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
Yea, the earth is getting a little warmer in some areas, but in the arctic, new ice masses are being formed everyday. I don't think that the world will end due to gloabl warming. I think the enviromentalists are just making a fuss over nothing

TheEvilDuck

Mar 18, 2009
SmilingKitsune said:
cuddly_tomato said:
The Sahara WAS a jungle just 5000 years ago. A mere single degree of Celcius temperate difference was enough to turn it into a desert.

Human polution is changing the climate by that much per century, and accelerating it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f4/Instrumental_Temperature_Record.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bc/2000_Jahre_Temperaturen-Vergleich.png

The biggest hoax are the governments who, rather than actually do make economic sacrifices for the sake of the environment, have managed to pull the wool over the eyes of supposedly educated people.
I like you ^^.
Me too! ^_^

TheLivingDaylights

Mar 31, 2009
That is not what I said. We are having a negative effect on our planet, but global warming is not one of those effects. What I am saying is that we don't need the lie of global warming in order to mave us protect the enviorment. I would know, I live in front of a Six-Acre wetland, and when the tide brings in trash, I pick it up. I'm not worried that the Earth is going to catch fire if I don't, I just don't want the trash making my planet ugly.

TheEvilDuck

Mar 18, 2009
cuddly_tomato said:
super_smash_jesus said:
cuddly_tomato said:

and don't quote wikipedia as fact too often, that will come back and bite you in the ass more often than not.

Now that might not sound like too much, but imagine filling a kettle the size of the earth, and then trying to heat it up by half a degree. That is how much extra energy is in the earths air, oceans, and surface layers right now, and why we are getting more severe storms with higher frequency.

Yes, it has happened in the past. But it is happening now because of us. It isn't a hoax, it is pure fact. And it has never, as far as we know, happened in the past at such a fast rate change unless brought on by a major environmental catastrophe such as a super-volcano or meteor strike.
Aaaaaaaand owned! :p I repeat, I like you. :)

Oldmanwillow

Mar 30, 2009
One thing that all the people that believe that C02 is causing global warming. C02 is the least harmful green house gas. CH4 (methane) is 25 times stronger and the biggest cause of that is cow. SO2 is 100 times stronger and the largest source of the is volcanoes. N02 is about 200 times stronger and the largest source of that is also volcanoes. Yes the world is heating up. To assumes that man is the only cause of global warming is just dumb.

Delicious

Jan 22, 2009
I don't think we have nearly as grand of an effect as we think we do it. We might have a small one, yes, but it is probably going to happen whether we happen to be here or not. The difference is when.

Hurray human egotism!

alloneword

Jul 9, 2008
Megawizard said:
One of the coldest winters we've ever had. Yup; global warming.
My sentiments exactly!

Look I'm not denying that we as humans have sped up whatever inevitable cycle that the earth undergoes, but to say that we've sped it up to a point where our generation, or even the next three generations needs to live in fear because of it.... Thats a little extreme.

I can guarantee that somewhere (probably in multiple places) there is some guy(or girl) sitting in the fetal position rocking back and forth muttering about the ice caps melting and killing us all.

Yes, the earth it getting warmer.

Yes, humans have probably contributed to the speed at which it is happening.

Yes, it's happened six times before almost wiping out all life on the planet.

So what? We've frakked ourselves out of this one. If this is going to happen, its going to happen. If that just so happens to mean that the human race gets obliterated in the process then we probably deserve it for sending Earth down this road in the first place.

super_smash_jesus

Dec 11, 2007
cuddly_tomato said:
super_smash_jesus said:
cuddly_tomato said:

While the earth may be heating up, the timeline of your graph only goes back to the 60's, and generally proves about as much as "An Inconvenient Truth" does, which is not much in the grand sense of how old the Earth actually is. Look at the cycles from 3 million years back, and you will see that we are not even close to temperatures there once was. Was it human involvement back then that "caused" the increase in temperature? I am going to guess no.

Also, saying that something is Fact about Global warming is a no-no. There has been no undisputed evidence one way or the other. While some agencies like to point out that we are causing warming, there are 2 other agencies saying their data is not credible, and vice versa.

I have been in enough environmental classes, and worked at an environmental lab to know enough from both sides that human involvement cannot be attributed to the increase in temperature as a solid fact, however, it cannot also be proven that we didn't increased the rate of the temperature. It is just one of those topics that will get noweher before the people lose interest, or find another hot button topic.