The Biggest Hoax Of All Time?

McClaud

Nov 2, 2007
Here's my opinion:

- Climate change is happening. It's always happening. We're moving towards a cycle where weather gets more erratic. And things are getting a little more dangerous. Erratic weather means more problems for agriculture, more destructive forces and less stability in some regions.

- Regardless of whether man is responsible for speeding it up or not, we need to prepare for the climate change. One way is to become more energy efficient in the long run. That means moving away from fossil fuels and towards renewables and alternative energy. A lot of people call this "green" for all the wrong reasons. We do it for economic and long-term reasons. The ecological impact is a fortunate bonus.

-
Hunde Des Krieg said:
Who fucking cares? The world isn't some static paradise designed for humans to play around in. The earth does what it does and everything on it is along for the ride. all living things affect it and are affected by it. Adapt or die.
And that's QFT there. We're going to have to adapt, which means that if ocean levels rise, we're going to have to either raise the cities on the coast or move away from the coasts. And if you continue to live in the path of hurricanes, then that's your problem.

- And the most important thing to me: TheLivingDaylights, man, you came off as a total jerk when people tried to refute your initial statement (which had no facts linked). When they linked facts, you basically pissed on their argument with less facts than before. Dude, you don't win supporters to your point by being a douche. Lighten up, man. Most of these people don't like Al Gore and think he's 100% right either.

And that's all I have for now.

epaulet

Mar 19, 2009
I don't know whether global warming is man made or not, but it's better to err on the side of caution. There is no conclusive evidence that global warming doesn't exist either.

DM.

Mar 27, 2009
The "China is going to invade the USA and team up with Russia." hoax.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Global warming has been sped up by us, but it has been going on for so long that it is almost neglectful that we sped it up, the Earth has experienced scorching heats and shivering colds, Ice ages intermediate peaks in temperature, what was frozen in the Ice ages (most of it being our carbon fuels) has now again been released into the air, thus speeding up a process that would have naturally taken around 10000 years more. But it is so.

I'm a man of God but here I would like to diverge from the point here, if Evolution is to be believed we are the result of Nature, so we are always part of Nature and never lose from it, thus Global Warming by humans is a natural cause of a species gone haywire, or it may also be a result of evolution, the impeding changes in our environment force us to take the next steps in cutting ourself free from Nature and live independent of changes occurring on our world.

Now I'm not going to say to space and beyond like some sci-fi git and go of from the subject at hand, but a species will do everything in is power to ensure survival, even if that means using space age tech. If the earth heats up more and more, we will be forced more and more to counter that measure and develop ourself to fight these changes or adapt with them.

In short Global Warming could be our doom like the masses believe and steadily refuse to prevent or it could be as I believe be Nature itself telling us we should change our ways, become more than just bipedal garbage bins and ascend above us, hopefully leaving behind the ignorant masses.

li-ion

Dec 19, 2008
What I find worrying is that a third of people here apparently not just doubt that global warming happening and/or is man made. Those are concerns I understand. But to think that it's all just a hoax by Al Gore and his buddies to make money instead?
That's about the same as claiming the moon landing was a hoax or the earth is only 20.000 years old.

thiosk said:
The carbon hypothesis is wrong. The real reason for increasing temperatures:

Linking James Hansen's GISS datasets is just as helpful as the above stat.
Yes, also one way of dealing with an issue: just make a joke about it.
Fun fact: 2008 saw a 75% increase in pirate raids. I'm still waiting for the 75% temperature drop.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
If the Climate change camp is wrong, then we have saved some resources and money and caused less polution

If the OP is wrong then we are all screwed.

Simple decision much?

Operational

Apr 1, 2009
Watch "An Inconvenient Truth". I don't know how anyone could watch it and come out thinking the Climate Crisis is a myth. It answers everything including the notion that the whole fuss is over the Earth's "natural cycle".

Now since everyone seems to like posting graphs I think I'll follow suit.

ntomlin63

Mar 19, 2009
I am waiting to see if 2012 and/or the galactic plane thing actually are real or not. I strongly suspect and highly prefer not but seeing as I am not God I don't know for sure.

Operational

Apr 1, 2009
Danzorz said:
Ok, global warming, lets see our facts shall we?

A massive amount of scientists beleive it exists.
A massive amount of scientists believe it does not exist.
I think you need to check your facts.

IPCC is not alone in its conclusions. In recent years, all major scientific bodies in the United States whose members' expertise bears directly on the matter have issued similar statements. For example, the National Academy of Sciences report, Climate Change Science: An Analysis of Some Key Questions, begins: "Greenhouse gases are accumulating in Earth's atmosphere as a result of human activities, causing surface air temperatures and subsurface ocean temperatures to rise". The report explicitly asks whether the IPCC assessment is a fair summary of professional scientific thinking, and answers yes: "The IPCC's conclusion that most of the observed warming of the last 50 years is likely to have been due to the increase in greenhouse gas concentrations accurately reflects the current thinking of the scientific community on this issue".
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/306/5702/1686

Ionami

Aug 21, 2008
super_smash_jesus said:
I agree mostly with your statements. The earth is on a cycle, and the earth is technically "rebounding" from the last ice age around 12,000 years ago. It was cold, it gets warmer, thats how she rolls. However, it is hard to dismiss Carbon dioxide as a culprit of warming entirely, as it is adding to the extra heat, but not significantly. The decomposition of organic matter adds more CO2 to the atmosphere than all the cars on the planet running at the same time, so obviously the anthropogenic effects are minimal at best.

There is always something that generates a lot of interest in the world, right now it happens to be climate change. But most people that go "green" don't know the basics behind it to begin with. Methane is a higher cause of greenhouse gasses, just not in the abundance of CO2, yet it does more damage. Want to get rid of methane, then you will have to kill off half of the planets population, because it is emitted from our main food sources, rice, sheep, and cattle.

While I don't think global warming is the problem most people have made it out to be, I feel there are still good things coming from it. With emissions being monitored, there is less pollutants contaminating water or habitats that could destroy a species viability, so if that is the result of people over-emphasizing global warming, I can live with it.
Fair enough.

I think that's a pretty good stance to have. I think the whole thing is a bit ridiculous, but if it makes people appreciate the planet more and makes us all greener and more eco-friendly, then it's really not that bad of a thing.

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
Why is there no option; You're Wrong!

The options say that you are either factually correct or people believe you are incorrect. This is indicitive of your whole piece, you cannot accept the fact that you are wrong, which you are.

TheLivingDaylights said:
[...]But saying that carbon dioxide is somehow directly causing the Earth's increased temperature is total bullshit.
You are incorrect, this is basic science; increases of CO2 cause the temperature of the atmosphere to rise, fact.

I see no reason why you would deny this. If you want to 'prove' it is wrong then become a real scientist and investigate it.

You see, this concept was invented by shadowy money-grubbers such as Al Gore. To people like him, the environment is so destroyed that the only possible solution is to reinvent one of Earth's most ancient and natural cycles into a doomsday clock. Not only that, but if they had their way, a vital resource to all animals would be essentially wiped out. They have demonized carbon dioxide, calling it a menace. By looking at things logically, one would find that if everyone and everything were carbon-neutral, life would suffocate. With neutrality, plants don't give back enough oxygen to equal the amount you use.
The concept was not invented by anyone, it was observed by scientists. Believing that this is all some sort of conspiracy just weakens your argument further.

If everything was 'carbon-nuetral' then by current definition the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere would remain constant with current levels. This is what we are aiming for, we want to stop the increase in carbon dioxide so as not to make the world uninhabital for most people.

Between 70% and 95% of all the oxygen in Earth is created by algae not plants. Of course the balance of the atmosphere varies over time however it is the rapid climate hange through direct human action that is not giving us sufficient time to adapt and evolve. It's all about balance, certain lifeforms are only sustainable within certain temperatures, including humans.

The trouble with climate change is that it is an exponential process. As the climate heats up many systems are less able to absorb carbon dioxide and hence the process of warming speeds up.

If we are causing the global warming, then global warming activists have another thing to explain. Why is it that there have been six occurrences of even more extreme versions of our global warming occur ed before man walked the Earth? Greenhouse gas is what keeps the earth from freezing over like mars. The whole process is cyclical, and here's the kicker...Every "condition" of any part of the world is the same. Few people know this, but roughly 5,000 Years ago, the Sahara desert was a jungle-like expanse of rain forest. Around 3,000 B.C. though, the Earth's rotation wobbled somewhere around 1.100479582 degrees, turning the entire place into a desert.
Yes there are natural cycles. However, we are interfering with these by burning fossil fuels.

The craziest part of it all is, the data from two of the past global heating cycles showedn that an Ice Age followed very soon after. If this is a mild warming like those, we could be trying to prevent the world from freezing over within the next 200 years. Then, there will be someone yelling at us that we produced so few greenhouse gasses that the Earth froze.
For some reason you believe that this is a paradox, yet it is not. When circumstances change so must behaviour. You don't whack the heating on in summer because it's going to get cold in winter.

The point I'm trying to make here is that nearly everything that happens is cyclical, and quite frankly, our control over these cycles is next to nothing. My advice? Sit back, relax, and enjoy the show. Besides, look at the odds! An asteroid that would have wiped out the human race passed between the Earth and the Moon. A German woman accidentally given the Ebola virus nearly took a trip to Canada. Half the countries in the Middle East are building nuclear weapons. Something is bound to get us before the Earth catches on fire...

We have huge influence over these cycles, mostly because there are seven billion of us!

The frustrating thing about global warming is that the people who believe it is coming don't want it to happen even though its occurence will prove them right. Those who don't believe are so stubborn that they would rather wait and see what happens.

Global warming is setting in, you can expect to see severe effects within 20-50 years. The chance of an asteroid hitting us is much lower, I can't really say about a viral outbeak of nuclear war. The idea that nuclear weapons are somehow more dangerous in the hands of states in the Middle East is a joke, the US is the only ones who have ever used WMDs, I'd argue that the extremist patriotism of the US is just as dangerous as religious extremism.

Also, the earth won't catch onfire, even if the Sun expands into it in 5 billion years or so. Even if it did the oxygen would burn up and life would evolve again in another way.

If you are still reading, you made it through my evil wall of text, and I congratulate you. Now, you are able to make an educated opinion of this subject, and post/vote on what you think!

-
Kade
Well, I've made my educated point, sadly your 'education' on this subject is lacking so all I expect is a nonsensical response.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
li-ion said:
What I find worrying is that a third of people here apparently not just doubt that global warming happening and/or is man made. Those are concerns I understand. But to think that it's all just a hoax by Al Gore and his buddies to make money instead?

*snip*

Yes, also one way of dealing with an issue: just make a joke about it.
Fun fact: 2008 saw a 75% increase in pirate raids. I'm still waiting for the 75% temperature drop.
A valid point. I think, though, that african pirates don't count-- i think pirates are just a proxy measurment for shoulder parrots, the real cause of a cool planet. We can only wait and see the effect.

GISS temperature graphs are equally hilarious. For all the majesty of the NASA space program, the GISS temperature stations located at ground level... in areas that were rural when the station was established but are now the surrounding city has sprawled around them. Average this out accross the united states, and what these datasets are measuring is the heat island effect from larger urban areas. There is a nice group that is going around the country photographing all the temperature measurement stations to see if there are environmental bias in either the positive or negative direction. http://surfacestations.org/

Now al gore says those of us who cannot cut back on carbon emissions should buy 'carbon credits.' From him. Well, his company. If this was a war, he'd be guilty of profiteering.

OH MY GOD THE SKY IS FALLING, its going to KILL US GAH!

unless you buy carbon credits from me! step right up here ladies and gents... get your carbon credits and save the world.

Shadow Law

Feb 16, 2009
Biggest hoax of all time? And I came in here thinking this thread was going to be about Enron. Ba dum tish!

utimagus

Nov 2, 2007
Oldmanwillow said:
One thing that all the people that believe that C02 is causing global warming. C02 is the least harmful green house gas. CH4 (methane) is 25 times stronger and the biggest cause of that is cow. SO2 is 100 times stronger and the largest source of the is volcanoes. N02 is about 200 times stronger and the largest source of that is also volcanoes. Yes the world is heating up. To assumes that man is the only cause of global warming is just dumb.
How many Cows are there in the world?
How many Volcanoes are there in the world actively injecting SO2 or NO2?

How many trillion or even quadrillion biological and artificial devices in the world producing CO2?

Your statment is like saying "Poor, uneducated people don't matter as they have little impact on anyones life." When in fact the vast majority of the Earths human population is in this category. Remember Asia, India, South America, and Africa house the majority of the worlds impoverished peoples. But just because they don't have money or education, generally, does not mean they don't have an impact on the rest of the world.

Another way to look at it is as such: If you have $1000 in the form of $200 in 50's, $100 in 100's and $700 in 1's, you still have $1000 but the 1's make the most impact on that $1000.

Danny Smooth

Nov 10, 2005
I love how CO2 is the "sexy" greenhouse gas and the rest never get mentioned. CO2 alone probably would not cause all our problems, it's everything: Nitrogen, Sulfur, etc.

Furthermore, we should probably be looking at how we pollute our water more than how we pollute the air. But again, that's not the "sexy" problem.

cuddly_tomato

Nov 12, 2008
kamuraki said:
I thought religion was the greatest hoax ever.
If this is how you intend to contribute to discussions at the Escapist, then please, go away now. Nobody wants that kind of shit.

Operational said:
Watch "An Inconvenient Truth". I don't know how anyone could watch it and come out thinking the Climate Crisis is a myth.
Because Al Gore is a complete toss-pot. Don't get me wrong, I don't 'believe' in humanities involvement in global warming, I 'know' about humanities involvement in global warming and the unbelievably stupid ignorance it has in refusing to deal with the problem (read my other posts in this thread). But Al Gore is a toss-pot...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-466775/Live-Earth-promoting-green-save-planet--planet-on.html

http://angryape.com/news/2007/07/06/razorlight-get-told-off-by-al-gore

Froobyx

Mar 22, 2009
I don't feel that global warming is a hoax.

Main reason being, WHY IS IT SO FREAKING WARM FOR APRIL! 10 years ago, it was still cold this time of year.

IMO, I thought the War of the Worlds (radio shows not the movies) was the biggest hoax, it's been done a few times too :D