The Biggest Hoax Of All Time?

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Regardless what is correct or not, Wind Power, Hydroelectricity and Geothermal/Solar plantations are not only more economical in the long run, but in this Escapists' mind, more visually appealing.

People Oppose these,

Preferring these it seems.

I don't know why or how people can advocate against Wind power purely by visual concerns.

Zero-Vash

Apr 1, 2009
I'm going to give my 2 cents. Yes, the planet is warming up. But, most of it used to be covered in ice; and it's not anymore. So yes, average temperatures are increasing. To say we are causing it? Doubt it. CO2 is something like .03 percent of the atmosphere. So we make it fluctuate a little. There are more hazardous gases like many before have said. I'm sure we are not helping the situation, but it most certainly isn't our fault. I believe in going green for the purpose of keeping our planet clean and beautiful, not because of some believed abnormal temperature rise.

Bluntknife

Sep 8, 2008
urprobablyright said:
Fact: Global Warming is caused by CFCs. CFCs (carbon dioxide related things) essentially thicken the earth's atmosphere and stop light that enters it from leaving again. It's fucking simple. Putting more chemicals in a chemical soup is going to make the soup bigger - understand? How hard is that to understand? And air with chemicals in it is thicker than air without chemicals in it. Did you fucking miss highschool? If the air has particles suspended in it then less light is going to get through - just like leaves on tree branches - also, as the particles are jagged, they're bound to have a few surfaces on them that reflect light back to earth - by coincidence - Are You Simple?

[HEADING=2]how God Damn hard is that to understand? This is not speculation.[/HEADING]

This is not religion, it's not open to debate by random fatass forum-goers. This is science, there is no arguing with it. You can't argue with evolution (i'm sorry that's just the way it happened.) and you can't argue with Global Warming any more than you can argue with the sun coming up in the morning.

And for the god damned record, Global Warming was around for Years before Al Gore. You dim punk.

I'm sick of mindless pricks wanking themselves off to escape their failure lives by thinking up conspiracy theories and trying to put hardball vocabulary on the bastards.

You're trying to make up for your low self-esteem by winning points online, and damned if you aint a blunt tool in a bum's shed if you think that arguing against global warming is a way of boosting your own self esteem.

knowing people like this exist makes me feel two extreme emotions: The first emotion is joy - knowing that i don't belong to the humongous group of people with zero mental breadth. The second emotion is distress: The fact that a huge amount of the people on this earth are so god damn silly makes in inevitable that we're gonna be in the shit very soon - there is no reversing global warming 'cause lazy assholes who'd rather use it as a self-esteem boost and ignore it because they're too floppy to get off their ass about things.

There are no two ways about it: You're wrong. Global Warming exists. Move on, cry about it a little if you're really that under-endowed and stop trying to rally like minded moose around you.

Btw, but to people who might argue that global warming isn't caused by humans: 'Global Warming' has gone on for all time, but we are speeding it up. Don't shield your laze by puking out bs about it not being man made. Grow up, face the music, sit in your stinking computer room and admit it to yourself.

urprobablyright is trying to tell people that there are no two ways about this: Global Warming Exists. Simiarly, he exists. And he is undeniable - as well as damned attractive.
Global warming is happening and I agree with you on that one, but the cause of it has yet to be determined.
It could be carbon emitions or even worse methane gas from landfills, which is a much more efficient green house gas.
It could be an increase in solar flares, the sun does heat everything up by the way.
Or it could just be the cycle of the earth we don't realy know.

But what I do know is we should change our habits regardless.
Even if cars aren't cause the change, what they are causing is smog over our cities and increasing the number of cases of asma. It's causing forests to be torn down to build new highways. It's aided in the economic slump we're in now. The list goes on and on.

Frankly if we all kill ourselves the Earth will still be here, still spinning on its axis and orbiting the sun.
We aren't going to kill the Earth we're going to kill ourselves and thats the more pressing matter.

goodman528

Jul 30, 2008
Anarchemitis said:
Regardless what is correct or not, Wind Power, Hydroelectricity and Geothermal/Solar plantations are not only more economical in the long run, but in this Escapists' mind, more visually appealing.

People Oppose these,

Preferring these it seems.

I don't know why or how people can advocate against Wind power purely by visual concerns.
Money and reliability comes to mind.

I could find some stats to throw at you, but I think numbers are pointless, but you can just as easily find some other numbers to prove something else. So I'm going to say this:

1) Electricity generated from a coal plant is much cheaper from any other source. Whether you believe this fact or not is up to you, but go and find some reports to read, this is true.

2) Renewable sources are built on the BANANA rule: it's good, everyone supports it in principle, but when it come to building it you have to "Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything".

3) Everyone supports the principle of alternate energy, but many people are against big dams like Three Gorges, many others are again nuclear energy, or wind, or solar, or whatever.

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
urprobablyright said:
Fact: Global Warming is caused by CFCs. CFCs (carbon dioxide related things) essentially thicken the earth's atmosphere and stop light that enters it from leaving again. It's fucking simple. Putting more chemicals in a chemical soup is going to make the soup bigger - understand? How hard is that to understand? And air with chemicals in it is thicker than air without chemicals in it. Did you fucking miss highschool? If the air has particles suspended in it then less light is going to get through - just like leaves on tree branches - also, as the particles are jagged, they're bound to have a few surfaces on them that reflect light back to earth - by coincidence - Are You Simple?
*snip*
I'm sick of mindless pricks wanking themselves off to escape their failure lives by thinking up conspiracy theories and trying to put hardball vocabulary on the bastards.

You're trying to make up for your low self-esteem by winning points online, and damned if you aint a blunt tool in a bum's shed if you think that arguing against global warming is a way of boosting your own self esteem.

knowing people like this exist makes me feel two extreme emotions: The first emotion is joy - knowing that i don't belong to the humongous group of people with zero mental breadth. The second emotion is distress: The fact that a huge amount of the people on this earth are so god damn silly makes in inevitable that we're gonna be in the shit very soon - there is no reversing global warming 'cause lazy assholes who'd rather use it as a self-esteem boost and ignore it because they're too floppy to get off their ass about things.

There are no two ways about it: You're wrong. Global Warming exists. Move on, cry about it a little if you're really that under-endowed and stop trying to rally like minded moose around you.

Btw, but to people who might argue that global warming isn't caused by humans: 'Global Warming' has gone on for all time, but we are speeding it up. Don't shield your laze by puking out bs about it not being man made. Grow up, face the music, sit in your stinking computer room and admit it to yourself.

urprobablyright is trying to tell people that there are no two ways about this: Global Warming Exists. Simiarly, he exists. And he is undeniable - as well as damned attractive.
Apart from the point I just snipped this ins't a good way to dicuss, this is a very aggressive arguement. If I came up to you mid discussion and shout "look you prick, your wrong, so there!" Would you listen to me? Try being persuasive not arguementative, if you feel this strongly you can make a good arguement which will contribute to the discussion. E.g you walk into the aforementioned discussion and start making relative points on the discussion. Then I would put it as a higher chance of people responding to you. Just because you have it, "all figured out" this dosen't mean everyone else does.

Why don't you tell us why and develope your ideas, personally I would prefer to hear your views on the subject while being given something to discuss.

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
goodman528 said:
*snip*

Money and reliability comes to mind.

I could find some stats to throw at you, but I think numbers are pointless, but you can just as easily find some other numbers to prove something else. So I'm going to say this:

2) Renewable sources are built on the BANANA rule: it's good, everyone supports it in principle, but when it come to building it you have to "Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything".
I don't know, wind farms have become a lot more acceptable, this is why they are now white and nice looking, the designers took on board that wind farms are noisy and unappealing and changed it. I think people are a lot less adverse to them anymore.

JoshasorousRex

Dec 5, 2008
The moon is moving away so that may have caused the our planet to shift a bit but even the slightest thing can make any place the complete opposite.

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
When I clicked on this, I expected this to be about what we thought was the greatest hoax of all time. I would have voted for the Hitler Diaries.

As for my opinion on global warming, we probably are making something that is happening naturally worse, and we should clean up our act, to quote a phrase. And even if we aren't, we're running out of oil so we should concentrate on using alternative fuels.

TopHatTim

Nov 8, 2008
global warming doesnt exist.
we just think it does.
when the super continent (pangea) existed it was purley a tropical island (a really big one)
and then when good ol plate techtonics kicks in (y'know the movement of the continental plates caused by convection currents) the world moved apart.
now that its all moved the parts the drifted around got colder and moved away from the eqautor.
now the plates are all moving back together reverse like and therefor moving back into the eqautor causing icecaps melting and areas getting warmer.
this is actually benifical in places like canada.
all year round farming can cause more amounts for food to be distubuted.

inkstone

Jan 12, 2009
I can never be sure whether or not these threads are just trolling grounds or real people.

Anyways, it doesn't really matter. Look at the people in charge, they know what they're doing.

Also, thank you posters who actually reference their data and post links. I think it's telling that the environmentalists were able to find data to back up you're claims, while the nay-sayers weren't.

We are going to drag you into the next century kicking and screaming. And you will thank us in the end.

inkstone

Jan 12, 2009
TopHatTim said:
global warming doesnt exist.
we just think it does.
when the super continent (pangea) existed it was purley a tropical island (a really big one)
and then when good ol plate techtonics kicks in (y'know the movement of the continental plates caused by convection currents) the world moved apart.
now that its all moved the parts the drifted around got colder and moved away from the eqautor.
now the plates are all moving back together reverse like and therefor moving back into the eqautor causing icecaps melting and areas getting warmer.
this is actually benifical in places like canada.
all year round farming can cause more amounts for food to be distubuted.
Dale Gribble: [regarding global warming] I say let the world warm up...we'll grow oranges in Alaska.
Hank Hill: Dale you giblet head, we live in Texas. It's already 110 in the summer, and if it gets one degree hotter I'm gonna kick your ass.

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
TheLivingDaylights said:
Mars may not be frozen over, but when it had an atmosphere, it had at least an abundance of oceans and rivers. Life? Not so sure, but you get my point.
Mars still has an atmosphere. Last time I checked.

Dahemo

Aug 16, 2008
TheLivingDaylights said:
Incorrect, the temperature was changed, but that was by the Earth's rotation and the new amount of sun exposure, not the temperature alone. You are twisting words, my friend.
I mean no offence sir, but hundreds of people, much smarter than you or I, have concluded that we are adversely affecting our climate (Global Warming is a nick-name, it does not necessarily mean increases in heat, the UK is getting colder winters). Good Lord, they managed to explain it to George W. Bush (presumably with crayons, small words and childrens literary references) and he announced there was a problem. You can be as cocksure and glib as you like but the scientific evidence speaks for itself.

You speak of cycles, but like any cycle when an excess of a component is present it can drastically effect the process. The equatorial desert belt is expanding, undoubtedly, and to be honest it's people like you that are entirely counter-productive to the survival of the species as a whole. An unwarranted nihilism given the comparably comfortable existence you enjoy within the western world, and a smirking denial garnered from worshipping regressive points of view.

What exactly is wrong with going green? Let's say hypothetically it provides no environmental benefit (the smog in Bejiing hastens to disagree), then we still enjoy the economic and resource based pluses for years to come for very little extra effort, in some cases no effort at all...

airsoftmanic

Aug 6, 2008
since i voted its not a hoax i might as well rant abit.
first off, global warming does exist but to me personally is not the concern. the degrading ozone is more of a problem. the ozone (for those that dont know or care) is a layer of O3 (thats three oxygen molecules, sorry for the "suck eggs" approach but i dont know how many people here did chemistry as a-level) which protects us against from the UV rays which cause sunburn, skin cancer and other nasty things. this is collapsing due to CFC's which are made from CO2 as they bond with the O3 and turn it into O2, which isnt good as only O3 absorbs UV.
the ozone problem adds to global warming as where the ozone layer is thin or non-existant the UV rays come through, heat up the surface and the increased pollution acts as a blanket which keeps the heat from escaping into the upper atmosphere.
and i do agree with the cycle theory as there is alot of evidence that earth constantly warms up then cools down over the course of history.
but even if global warming is proved to be false (it wont but you never know) we still have to keep going with alternate energy sources as coal, oil and gas are eventually going to run out anyway.
in truth i really just want to drive around in a fusion powered car :)

The Oddfellow

League Of United Oddfellows
Jan 30, 2009
Something WILL get eventually, hopefully we can either delay it, stop it or it doesn't happen in our lifetimes.

The Earth and planets are all inline with the centre of the galaxy which accoring to Mayan prophecies its the apocolypse in the winter solstice in 2012. (Don't take it to seriously, people have worked out it happens every 500 ish million years and it didn't kill the dinosaurs or other of human devolutions.

Qmeister

Jan 7, 2009
Livingdaylights, what exactly is your background in this area? Your only evidence thus far has been opinions and speculation. Also I don't really care what your uncle says, I want some numbers.

It is of course true that the Earth has cyclical climate cycles and that it flips between warm and cold phases.

If you're just some guy who thinks Al Gore is an idiot, I'm right there with ya. If you think that environmentalists are whining and it's not as serious of an issue as they make it out to be, I agree as well. My problem with them is that they tend to manipulate facts to their advantage without looking at the overall picture.

You, however, don't have any quantitative facts.

Pyre00

Mar 17, 2009
Snow on March 31st makes the whole global warming thing pretty damn hard to beleive.

Also, the number of pirates has decreased...

Qmeister

Jan 7, 2009
Global warming refers to the average temperature increase across the entire planet. Some areas have gotten a lot colder as a result (I remember a couple years ago parts of New York state got 11 feet of snow). The concern is the effects that more energy in the atmosphere will create, not warming in and of itself.

Sindre1

Nov 8, 2008
2001: http://media.aftenposten.no/archive/00434/briksdalsbreen_M69I_434931a.jpg
2005: http://media.aftenposten.no/archive/00434/_M69Isbre2ny_0808_j_434930a.jpg

This is ice that have been there for 10 thousands of years.
Even less ice there now.

Tich

Aug 13, 2008
Why would a percentage of carbon diaoxide as low as 0.04% cause global warming. Has anyone ever looked at that huge honking fireball we spin around as a possibility? That think sends out all the enrgy we get here on Earth. We're in it's atmosphere. So if you ask me, if we do need to research Global Warming, you have to look at changes in the corona of the sun. And not some futile component of air that is overshadowed by all other gases.