The Biggest Hoax Of All Time?

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
i shall research the debate into further depth. from unbias sources, in order to get ALL the facts [not just those benefitting to one side], and without all the opinions and fallacys that the many bias statements provide

there is 1 interesting poll i have found in my research..

" A 15-nation poll conducted in 2006 by Pew Global found that there "is a substantial gap in concern over global warming ? roughly two-thirds of Japanese (66%) and Indians (65%) say they personally worry a great deal about global warming. Roughly half of the populations of Spain (51%) and France (46%) also express great concern over global warming, based on those who have heard about the issue. But there is no evidence of alarm over global warming in either the United States or China ? the two largest producers of greenhouse gases. Just 19% of Americans and 20% of the Chinese who have heard of the issue say they worry a lot about global warming ? the lowest percentages in the 15 countries surveyed. Moreover, nearly half of Americans (47%) and somewhat fewer Chinese (37%) express little or no concern about the problem."[14]

A 47-nation poll conducted in 2007 found that "Substantial majorities 25 of 37 countries say global warming is a 'very serious' problem".
"

the thing that i found so interesting is the large gap of the US and China from many other nations, because the US and China are widely known for using a great deal of propaganda to pursuade their citizens..

Chimpa

Dec 2, 2008
You know what I love how every single person on the planet has a well informed opinion on the matter, proven by whatever model is popularised at the moment, every person that is except the fucking scientists. Yes, there are increased levels of CO2 in the earth?s atmosphere and yes that level has been undoubtedly increased, to some extent, by the dawn of the industrial and post industrial age. However, there is still no scientific proof as to which caused what, did global temperature rise cause an increase in CO2 or was it the other way round. While this sounds strange, as it?s not something that has been portrayed by the media, the discussion is still taking place.

The fact of the matter is that at the moment we are sitting at around 318 (I think) ppm concentration of CO2 in our atmosphere, however if you look back at the atmospheric content of earth back as far as we can look; Earth is sitting at a historic low point in atmospheric CO2 concentrations. During the Jurassic age, Co2 was around 7000 ppm, meaning that the mid latitudes were in the warm temperate climate, as opposed to what we see today.

There have been numerous papers published examining the climate change theory, and one issue that is brought up time and time again is that of the self-important human nature. We report upon CC in a manner that suggests that we are destroying an entire planet. Now if it turns out that massive global warming has been caused by human presence, have no fear, the Earth will most likely do what everything in nature attempts to do when faced with the same situation, cleanse itself of whatever is causing the issue.

All I am saying in this poorly constructed rant is that if the smartest minds in the world in ecology and climatology have yet to make up their minds on what is causing this "crisis" then you lot should shut your traps too.

Aramax

Sep 27, 2007
TheLivingDaylights said:
I'm not denying the Earth is getting warmer. Neither am I saying that pollution has had no effect on the planet.
TheLivingDaylights said:
My advice? Sit back, relax, and enjoy the show.
Doing nothing has never solved anything and you said yourself that you dont deny that there is a problem with Climate changes/Global Warming.

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
Cars, factories, other human based activities cause less CO2 build up than animals and volcanoes. Hell, the biggest contributor to greenhouse gas is water vapor.

caross73

Oct 31, 2006
hopeneverdies said:
Cars, factories, other human based activities cause less CO2 build up than animals and volcanoes. Hell, the biggest contributor to greenhouse gas is water vapor.
Human activities create FAR more CO2 than volcanic eruptions. Volcanoes contribute about 1% the contribution of all human activities.

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/volcanowatch/2007/07_02_15.html

And while water vapor is a potent greenhouse gas, we aren't increasing the amount of water in the atmosphere like we are with CO2, EXCEPT that CO2 forced heating can warm the oceans, creating positive feedback.

Forgetting the fact that the oceans are acidifying from all the CO2... which might be worse than global warming. Its not as if any of us can actually DO anything about it no matter who is right.

AssassinX66

Mar 22, 2009
This thread is a lot more sophisticated than any other thread I've seen on the Escapist. Well I think that Global Warming may be real, but I want to see some solid concrete proof before I do believe it is real. We do effect the Earth and its atmosphere, but I don't think we will completely destroy it. I still do think that we could clean up after ourselves a little more and that we should spend more money in other fuel methods such as hydro-electric, thermal, solar, and wind. However, I think the worlds biggest hoax ever was the radio broadcast that made people believe in the War of the Worlds. Some idiots actually convinced the entire nation that aliens were coming to destroy us on ACCIDENT!!! How do you explain yourself after that?! How do you cover that up?! It threw our entire nation into a frenzy of panic. Also, you all made good points and good jobs in defending your opinions, but please just agree to disagree. You don't have to get so into this you bring up charts and argue about it. Its great that you defend your opinions and what you believe, but this has gone on for 9 PAGES!!! Come on.

TheLivingDaylights

Mar 31, 2009
AssassinX66, you are the best poster here. It does not matter which side you are on, because you are not obsessed with proving anyone wrong. You gave an opinion of the topic, stated that you respected the OP's right to his own opinions, and gave another piece of converstion to discuss. You made it possible for othersto discuss war of the worlds alongside global waming. I applaud you.

TheLivingDaylights

Mar 31, 2009
I'd like to clarify that I don't think we should do nothing to fix the enviorment, but the guise that we are stopping global warming is going to alter the nature of this planet cleanup towards something we can't stop.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
I'm sortof torn. On one hand we have all the people speaking of global warming, and all the science behind it, but on the other hand we also have all the sceince speaking against it, which more or less states that the earth has udnergone way more dramatic changes, and that looking at a temperature graph for the past 50 years is bullshit, cause you'll see way more dramatic swings on the curve when you look at one that gones centuries back.

I think the later part might be ignored by some people, cause they have a hard time accepting that we as humanity are in no way in controll of our planet. They can't accept that we're small and insignificant, and that the earth/universe holds power way beyond our controll. (any1 heard of gamma-flashes btw?)

Kogarian

Feb 24, 2008
I agree with you. Most people who support it don't seem to understand: correlation does not equal causation, the earth runs on a cycle, we're coming out of an Ice Age. Even then, people say that forests seem to do the most bad with their horrible CO2 contributions.

Don't get me wrong, I'm against pollution and am all for making the world a better place. But come on, I want some decent facts.

Music Mole

Apr 15, 2009
cuddly_tomato said:
The Sahara WAS a jungle just 5000 years ago. A mere single degree of Celcius temperate difference was enough to turn it into a desert.
You totally misunderstood what he said, Not a temperature change but the actual revolution of 1 degree, which caused the whole hemispheres temperature to change permanently.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
I don't believe that we are 100% responsible for global warming. Core samples taken from the north and south poles have indicated LARGE amounts of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere over regular intervals within the past several thousand years or so. Global warming is indeed a natural cycle that we cannot escape.

The earth has a natural way of reversing global warming, and it has to do with the flow of ocean currents; specifically Thermohaline circulation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutdown_of_thermohaline_circulation

The problem would be that once the earth got hot enough, it would them get quite chilly. Eventually, it would balance itself out.

Nmil-ek

Dec 16, 2008
Its not a matter of it may be fearmongering its a matter of several hundred experts agree, there has been peer review after peer review and there is enough of a chance theat we need to act. Even if it is a hoax we cant keep living like we do, we waste to much energy in another 100 years or so we will be completley out of natural fuels we pollute far too much and keep building outdated plants and factories for fear of nucklear radiaton, foolish after chernobyl our bodies have a much higher radiation tolerance than previously the dangers nowhere near match the benefits. If global warming is true there is probably nothing we can do now anyway jsut slow it down but thats better than nothing and id rather say to my kids we tried if it was true or not.