The biggest "Meh" of 2012

The Hero Killer

Aug 9, 2010
I was about to say AC3 like everybody else but after playing through them all in order then playing III again I was able to appreciate it more. My vote goes to Resident Evil 6.

Ascend

Mar 14, 2012
Ghost Recon :Future Soldier
It turned a harsh ,unforgiving ,permadeath and slightly stealth based tactical shooter into a third person shooter with almost no command elements ,regenerating health, teammates who could not die ,turret sections and forced action sequences.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
I guess it was Diablo 3, the whole year was weak but Diablo 3 was weaker. The very dumb story recalled me of that 90's tendency of comic books where every hero went to hell, and everything was Heaven vs Hell, very childish due to the lack of originality, the CHI's were amazing but the gameplay graphics were pretty bad as far as character models went (scenario looked ok, with the whole cell shading effect), and last but not least the game itself was sorta... Empty, devoid of reason? I mean, you just keep killing and looting and getting stronger to kill more, it failed to convince me there was a bigger meaning to all the demon slaughter...

Tyelcapilu

Mar 19, 2011
Diablo 3- game I almost forgot about before reading people talking about it, it was truly depressing and lived up to my expectations (being the first 'diablo clone' I've played since Titan Quest, I expected it to be grindy, though friends convinced me to buy it anyhow.)
Might try torchlight 2 or diablo 2 just to see what the hype is about.

Halo 4- halo 1 was an air rifle, halo 2 & 3 paintball guns, halo reach a water gun, and halo 4 is just bag of hot air. The games have slowly oversaturated themselves over the years. rip.

Hitman: Absolution- it's like they took everything good about hitman and said "get rid of that"
As nice as it is to try something new, this new didn't work.

Lucky Godzilla

Oct 31, 2012
Hitman absolution
Goddamn scoring system. Listen devs, I know you have a certain way you want me to play you're game, but for the love of good don't punish me for deviating from it.

Also ass creed 3, such wasted potential.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
Almost all of the games this year. I bought very, very few and completely passed on each one you listed. I'm not big into sequels unless they add enough or I can play the original over again with no problem, but the sequel trend is getting a little ridiculous. I might pick up XCom or Dishonored, but rts isn't my thing and Dishonored messed up story building.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
from what I have played: Halo 4, did like it but constantly felt the 60 euro's could be better spent then this game.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Esotera said:
AC3...I hope to finish it before next year but I'm probably not going to be bored enough to attempt that. And also the new enemies in Halo 4 sucked to the point where I don't want to play the game anymore, which is bad as I'm a Halo fanboy...
I actually really like the new enemies in 4, and most of the story(though the ending "battle" was shit).

What turns me off from the game is how 343 royally vomited all over the multiplayer. The reason I liked Halo multiplayer was because it wasn't COD. They also screwed up balance of weapons and just the entire thing altogether.
Not to mention the stupidity of rotating game types instead of having all game types available at all times. If I start playing my game, I want to be able get on and play the game type I want to play, not start up wanting to play team swat or snipers, and find that it isn't in the roster of games that week.
The servers they are using, they must have got them in the bargain bin someplace, because I hardly ever got kicked from games because of lag in the other Halo games.

Either that or there are a ton of players/teams that are somehow lag-switching or something. Because during the last week I played(which was about a month ago), I had around thirty or forty games where my team was winning by hundreds of points and then all of a sudden in the last few minutes of the game every one of my team started to experience major lag, and the other team wasn't effected and came form behind handily and won. So, I stopped playing.

Oh well, the starting maps weren't that good. Haven't cared enough to buy the new map pack either.

OManoghue

Dec 12, 2008
The biggest 'meh' for me this year was the WiiU. An under powered gimmicky nostalgia machine. The gimmick isn't even good, why have two screens? It doesn't really do anything, and you can only really look at one at a time unless you hold a dinner plate with analog sticks right in front of your TV.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Sonic Doctor said:
I actually really like the new enemies in 4, and most of the story(though the ending "battle" was shit).

What turns me off from the game is how 343 royally vomited all over the multiplayer. The reason I liked Halo multiplayer was because it wasn't COD. They also screwed up balance of weapons and just the entire thing altogether.
Not to mention the stupidity of rotating game types instead of having all game types available at all times. If I start playing my game, I want to be able get on and play the game type I want to play, not start up wanting to play team swat or snipers, and find that it isn't in the roster of games that week.
The servers they are using, they must have got them in the bargain bin someplace, because I hardly ever got kicked from games because of lag in the other Halo games.

Either that or there are a ton of players/teams that are somehow lag-switching or something. Because during the last week I played(which was about a month ago), I had around thirty or forty games where my team was winning by hundreds of points and then all of a sudden in the last few minutes of the game every one of my team started to experience major lag, and the other team wasn't effected and came form behind handily and won. So, I stopped playing.

Oh well, the starting maps weren't that good. Haven't cared enough to buy the new map pack either.
I've actually grown to like the campaign now after playing through it a bit more...the enemies become more bearable with time I suppose. At least it wasn't a total remash of old ideas and they bothered to develop the characters a bit unlike Bungie.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Assassin's Creed 3, no arguments here.

Someone earlier in this thread stated it perfectly - it was straightforward.

I mean, Assassin's Creed has never been particularly obtuse (and is better for it), but there's a point where you have to say, "Oh come on, give me some credit, I can figure out what to do here."

If there wasn't that element to it, I would have loved it.

Kiatta

Jul 17, 2012
I'm going to have to second all those who said ME3, AC3 or Halo 4. I'm a major fangirl of all of the predecessors to these games and was disappointed by these instalments. That isn't to say that I didn't like them, I just don't think they turned out to be as good as they could have been.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
crimson sickle2 said:
I might pick up XCom or Dishonored, but rts isn't my thing and Dishonored messed up story building.
Well, XCOM is not RTS, but turn-based strategy, so it's a non-issue.

OT: I haven't actually had anything 'meh' in 2012, because I kinda suspected that big names that should interest me (AC3) were going to fall short, and lo and behold, I was right on the money.

Surprisingly, with the release of the Mass Effect Trilogy on PS3, I found myself really liking the series, Mass Effect 3 included.

Get_A_Grip_

May 9, 2010
Of the few games of 2012 that I managed to play I'd have to say that Borderlands 2 was the most underwhelming.

It was just more of the same and that all of the problems that I had with the first game were still present; the abundance of fetch quests, the fact that too many of the level up points/skills are passive abilities that don't feel like you get any more powerful each time you level up and the fact that the majority of the difficulty of the game comes from the fact that the enemies just become massive bullet sponges.

Also, I didn't like the game's humour. 'Butt Stallion'? Seriously?!

BlueberryMUNCH

Apr 15, 2010
AndrewC said:
Ass Creed 3 (do I get points for being original with the name?)

What a colossal pile of Templar poop.

Bad characters, bad story, bad setting, poor gameplay and an awful ending.

I can't believe I shelled out £40 on this and to me it's a lot of money, so it's not really a case of 'shrug off one bad purchase cause I haz pennies' :mad:
Hahahaha I see what you did there! Ass Creed! Nice one! ;).

Have to agree though. Didn't even buy it but watched a load of an LP. I do feel your pain that you forked out full price for it><;;.
Mind you, the sea battles looked COOOOOOL.

This year in general was very meh, in my opinion. The only ones I really played this year were quite good. So AC3 it is.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
007 Legends.

What? I still look forward to James Bond games okay? But yeah, 007 Legends came out and I was kinda pumped to play through some of my favorite movies of all time. And it was alright I guess. Stupid that you couldn't finish the campaign until Skyfall came out in theaters.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
aaronobst said:
Let's not forget the Skyrim-PS3 catastrophe...

Bethesda KNEW the game was broken, I've never seen such a slapdash way to treat consumers in this industry before
I have. When I played New Vegas on the PS3, had exactly the same issues, and were left ignored until the very end. That's why I didn't buy Skyrim. I could guess at what was coming.

Anyway, my choice would be Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City. I really, really wanted to like this game, love the concept, but the execution..? Oh dear...