The biggest pile of crap you spent money on in the steam sale

What Do I Care

May 2, 2013
Hi

Right I bought Assassin's Creed 3 in the summer steam sale for £3.50 so I am not super raging, but my god what a horribly designed game. The menus are over designed with no information on how to use them but 12 hours into the game I am still being told how to hold R2 and press A to jump over a fence. And the gameplay sections with Desmond are basically on rails (you could have just given me a cut scene). But mostly I hate the fact the being Stealthy is very contextual and all control is taken away from me as a player. Shame as I found the setting interesting, and it looks pretty enough at points and I really enjoy the ship to ship battles.

Still will probably complete it anyway as I feeling lazy, but I wish I had spent the money on a pint or pack of smoke instead.

So any cheap games you bought in a steam sale you regret and fancy having a rant about, just to be petty.

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
I guess Saints Row 2. I'm having a blast with it but yeesh, could the PC port be any worse? Poor optimization and awkward controller support... that is without mods. I also somewhat regret getting Far Cry 3 since Ubisoft wants to get a slice of the digital distribution pie and inconvenience me with Uplay.

No "bad" games, though.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
I only bought two games(Baldur's Gate II EE and Saints Row 4) and I haven't really played much of either to make a real judgement on them. I would however like to voice my annoyance at SRIV's somewhat poor optimisation. When the fps drops to below 20fps while driving on both low and high settings on a machine that meets the recommended specs something is wrong.

saluraropicrusa

undercover bird
Feb 22, 2010
Total LOLige said:
I only bought two games(Baldur's Gate II EE and Saints Row 4) and I haven't really played much of either to make a real judgement on them. I would however like to voice my annoyance at SRIV's somewhat poor optimisation. When the fps drops to below 20fps while driving on both low and high settings on a machine that meets the recommended specs something is wrong.
Quick FYI on something that vexed me, and might afflict you as well if your FPS is dipping low: certain moments in the game (like prompts for destroying certain things where you need to hold a button down and let an animation play), and a part of one mission where you're in a flying vehicle are completely broken if your FPS is too low. You'll know what I mean if you start one of the mentioned prompts and it stops without completing properly. The only solution I found for this was putting the resolution way down (in windowed mode, dunno if that makes a difference). It really sucks, but the game was unbeatable otherwise. So, watch out for that.

OT:
I really didn't like Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. Not even enough to justify the low price I bought it at. I also bought The Fall, and do really want to play it, but I can't get past the first MINUTE of gameplay without the game crashing. Which is totally lame, and as far as I can tell has no solution.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Having 320 games on my library (and counting), I truly don't regret buying any of those games, but the ONLY one I still regret buying is Brink and that wasn't on a sale.

Even worse, it was a pre-order. 9 months early.

If you'll excuse me, I'll go and curl up into a corner for the rest of the night.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Not including games bundled as part of a set...

L.A Noire

I loved the concept of this game. My co-workers praised it. It was very well received by fans and critics alike. However, when it comes down to it...my experience was awful. I played around 7 missions and I simply couldn't get invested in the story. The fact that you couldn't save in a timely fashion mid-case really killed the experience for me. I hated having to tediously go through segments of the game again for whatever reason. (It's been a long time since I bought the game and I only played it briefly so please forgive any incorrect statements)

I recall revisiting this game again a year or so later and still being unable to tolerate it. This game just failed to deliver in terms of story and especially gameplay / pacing. Thankfully I only paid 5-10 dollars for it at the time.

Runner Up: Command & Conquer 4

This would win except for the fact that it was included in a bundle that contained several awesome games that ultimately justified the sale price. C&C4 is without a doubt the worst RTS game I've personally ever played.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
probably Skyrim, yeah yeah, sue me, but really, atleast vanilla, is bad

i expected something like fallout 3, too bad, i got a boring bland world, with a boring bland story and some boring bland combat with some boring bland exposition

i feel way worse about thsoe 10 dollars i wasted on skyrim than the 33 dollars i spent on dark souls 2, yes is more than 3 times more the amount, BUT ATLEAST DARK SOULS 2 HAS BEEN FUN SO FAR!

also GTA4, mostly because of GFWL

those purchases were like a year ago tough, this sale i dont think i made bad choices

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
GTA 4, hands down. Piss-poor optimization and GFWL. That is all.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
SupahGamuh said:
I still regret buying Brink and that wasn't on a sale. Even worse, it was a pre-order. 9 months early.

If you'll excuse me, I'll go and curl up into a corner for the rest of the night.
I don't understand why people dislike brink, it's one of the Few pre-orders that I don't really regret. I got 45 hours out of it, which is more than I can say for alot of other games.

My biggest pile of crap gotten off of a Steam sale was probably Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army, but thankfully I got it from a friend who bought a four pack. It still hurts me knowing that the developers got money for the game to take up a slot on my game list.

epicdwarf

Apr 9, 2014
Castle Story

OH boy? This fucking game. The mac version is INCREDIBLY unplayable. The UI is utter shit(it is like it was made for a tablet), I can barely place down blocks without something them spazing out, WAY too many fucking bugs(even for an early access game), and stupid AI. I regret spending $12 on it every time I see it in my steam library.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I can't fault the game for this, but Dark Souls is kinda peeving me off. Thanks to GFWL, I can't use the online option or even save the damn game. So I see no point in playing, because even if I start to get gud, I can't save. So there is no point to even play it. Luckily, I only spent five bucks on it.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
The one that really pissed me off, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. Ok, it had funny dialog(for what I did hear, as you will soon read) and that 80s nostalgia vibe was neat. But, the overload of neon colors hurt my eyes and for some reason it never saved my game so whenever I took a break, it reset to that patronizing tutorial(funny on the first go, not the 7th time). I don't think I ever got past the first level.

I would have looked for a solution to the problem(if there was one and they weren't being dicks with the saves) but the worst problem that came with the game: *takes deep breath* [demon voice]UPLAY[/demon voice]. I bought it before realizing you had to install Ubi's damn client and load it too when launching the game. I knew this problem existed before but got Blood Dragon on impulse then found out about it.

I know I'm preaching to the quire here, but really, publishers, do you really need you own shite DRM on top of Valve's functional system. Don't put your games on Steam if you don't trust its DRM. You shouldn't trust your own either, but that's another story.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Hairless Mammoth said:
The one that really pissed me off, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. Ok, it had funny dialog(for what I did hear, as you will soon read) and that 80s nostalgia vibe was neat. But, the overload of neon colors hurt my eyes and for some reason it never saved my game so whenever I took a break, it reset to that patronizing tutorial(funny on the first go, not the 7th time). I don't think I ever got past the first level.
ugghhh!! this is why I've barley played it...its probably just me but by the time I get through the tutorial (which is funny...THE FIST TIME) and start playing (and dying) I've had enough and want a break...but due to the check points I have to keep playing ALL OVER AGAIN

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
NuclearKangaroo said:
i expected something like fallout 3, too bad, i got a boring bland world, with a boring bland story and some boring bland combat with some boring bland exposition
ever played a Bethesda RPG before that? cause thats what you get (IMO)

Fallout 3 in retrospect is only tolerable because I LOVE the Fallout world, aside from that really the whole thing feels pointless

thedoclc

Jun 24, 2008
Impire. Sigh. It had not yet been heavily reviewed and I basically saw what looked like Dungeon Keeper. So I rolled the dice, and they came up snake eyes.

A buggy, dull, uninspired, slow, repetitive, derivative mess with craptastically boring art direction that crashes every time things threaten to get interesting.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
So I bought this really stupid anime brawler called Mitsurugi Kamui Hitakae (actually remembered the full title and I feel proud of that.) It's not nearly as fun as it looked. I only spent $2.50 on it but I could have bought other fine looking games at the same price.

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
Fable The Lost Chapters. I got the game for $0.99 during a flash sale and logged in about 2 hours before I hated it. To be fair I've never liked Peter Molyneux's games to begin with so I more or less got it to see how long I could play the game before I couldn't help but spontaneously turn into a raging Shoggoth.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Well all the games I bought on the Steam sale have all been games which have been on my steam wishlist for ages, so I already knew what I was getting and what I was letting myself in for. However, I suppose my biggest regret is that I spent money to buy games which most likely won't run on my shite-arse laptop!