The biggest pile of crap you spent money on in the steam sale

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I don't consider any of the games I bought even close to being crap (I only bought 5 games and spent exactly 10 dollars). I have been a little frustrated with Papers Please though. For some reason, whenever I fingerprint people, even when it looks like the prints completely match, I always seem to get a warning anyway. I've begun to simply turn people away as soon as I realize I need to fingerprint them, that seems to work. Maybe I'm missing something, but this doesn't seem right... Other than that, it's a really fun game. The red shirt guy made me chuckle.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
SupahGamuh said:
I still regret buying Brink and that wasn't on a sale. Even worse, it was a pre-order. 9 months early.

If you'll excuse me, I'll go and curl up into a corner for the rest of the night.
A small review why the game is bad?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Elfgore said:
I can't fault the game for this, but Dark Souls is kinda peeving me off. Thanks to GFWL, I can't use the online option or even save the damn game. So I see no point in playing, because even if I start to get gud, I can't save. So there is no point to even play it. Luckily, I only spent five bucks on it.
There's a crack that entirely disables GFWL with the obvious downside of no online modes, but it's perfectly playable and you can save perfectly fine, without any issues.

PM me if you're interested.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
SweetShark said:
*Takes a deep breath* Where do I start?...

The game world is fairly detailed and downright beautiful, but the guys at Splash Damage prioritized "belivable architecture" and "aesthetics" over functionality, the battles were pretty unbalanced because of this. Now, some would argue that real world architectures are not meant for a videogame and that's a fair point, but that would be the case if this game wasn't multiplayer focused, meant to be played many times over the same maps, also let's consider that many maps use makeshift shanty towns made out of containers, so that's not an excuse.

Also, most of the weapons felt pretty samey, you could grab a machine gun and modify it however you wanted and make most of them feel almost exactly the same. The customizations for both weapons and your own character was astoundingly awesome, but the downside being that classes were basically unrecognizable, even Planetside 2, Tribes and especially Team Fortress 2 gives you visual cues to clearly distinguish wich one is wich, Brink had a fabulous sense of fashion, but at a really impractical level gameplay wise.

Speaking of classes, you could change classes on the fly and that was awesome, but you couldn't change your body type and that was a serious hindrance for strategies, you couldn't hop into a "Scout-esque" class if you were a lumbering tower of muscles meant to take a ton of damage and you couldn't do an offensive role if you were a skinny straw meant to run at a thousand miles per hour, so basically everyone picked the middle class and specialize on neither.

The bots in single-player are downright attocious, also it had a quite hefty number of technical issues at launch, like AMD cards being basically useless for the game (I think the issues were resolved either by a AMD driver update or a patch for the game) and the netcode was attorious for using P2P base code, sure, they added dedicated servers a few months later, but it was a little too late, everyone just basically gave up on the game.

And lastly, nowadays is a barren desert, an online game is made by it's community, no matter how shitty it is, if it has a loyal following, it may survive for a few years (20 for Doom or 16 for Quake and both with fairly active communities, especially Doom) and Brink basically lasted no more than 5 months.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
SupahGamuh said:
SweetShark said:
*Takes a deep breath* Where do I start?...

The game world is fairly detailed and downright beautiful, but the guys at Splash Damage prioritized "belivable architecture" and "aesthetics" over functionality, the battles were pretty unbalanced because of this. Now, some would argue that real world architectures are not meant for a videogame and that's a fair point, but that would be the case if this game wasn't multiplayer focused, meant to be played many times over the same maps, also let's consider that many maps use makeshift shanty towns made out of containers, so that's not an excuse.

Also, most of the weapons felt pretty samey, you could grab a machine gun and modify it however you wanted and make most of them feel almost exactly the same. The customizations for both weapons and your own character was astoundingly awesome, but the downside being that classes were basically unrecognizable, even Planetside 2, Tribes and especially Team Fortress 2 gives you visual cues to clearly distinguish wich one is wich, Brink had a fabulous sense of fashion, but at a really impractical level gameplay wise.

Speaking of classes, you could change classes on the fly and that was awesome, but you couldn't change your body type and that was a serious hindrance for strategies, you couldn't hop into a "Scout-esque" class if you were a lumbering tower of muscles meant to take a ton of damage and you couldn't do an offensive role if you were a skinny straw meant to run at a thousand miles per hour, so basically everyone picked the middle class and specialize on neither.

The bots in single-player are downright attocious, also it had a quite hefty number of technical issues at launch, like AMD cards being basically useless for the game (I think the issues were resolved either by a AMD driver update or a patch for the game) and the netcode was attorious for using P2P base code, sure, they added dedicated servers a few months later, but it was a little too late, everyone just basically gave up on the game.

And lastly, nowadays is a barren desert, an online game is made by it's community, no matter how shitty it is, if it has a loyal following, it may survive for a few years (20 for Doom or 16 for Quake and both with fairly active communities, especially Doom) and Brink basically lasted no more than 5 months.
Thank you very much for your insight. I will admit, I am a sucker for good looking games, but if it is painful to play, then it isn't for me.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
I bought some Oddworld games on sale a few years back. However they just didn't work at all. Very bad there by Steam.

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
Michael Tabbut said:
Fable The Lost Chapters. I got the game for $0.99 during a flash sale and logged in about 2 hours before I hated it. To be fair I've never liked Peter Molyneux's games to begin with so I more or less got it to see how long I could play the game before I couldn't help but spontaneously turn into a raging Shoggoth.
Yeah, I picked this up in the summer sale too. I played about 10 minutes before I felt physically sick because of the weird fish-eye camera that's way too close to the character.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Well I'm not sure it's "crap" for me yet, but so far I'm not exactly liking Batman: Arkham City GOTY edition. Despite the raving reviews from users and press alike, it's just a whole bunch of clicking and waiting for button prompts so far. With nice animations tacked on.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
The game Nether. If I had known it was still in what is essentially an alpha state, I wouldn't have bought it. However the actual steam page said nothing about it being early access. Thankfully, the mistake only cost me about 12 dollars(Bought access for some friends also, we all suffered together.)

MetalShadowChaos

Feb 3, 2014
Not in a steam sale, but I bought Gettysburg Armored Warfare when it came out. It had a decent amount of hype around it and it looked pretty good, and it has a great concept(An arts where at any point you can become one of the combatants or vehicles and contribute your own skills to the fight). But it was awful It wasn't finished at all. Attempting to vault over the walls on the map, and there were ONLY walls on the map, a flat terrain with walls and a few trees, resulted in being embedded within the wall. There was no tutorial, it ran like shit, it looked awful and there was no way to actually control any of the units in RTS mode. It was abysmal, and most likely still is.

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
It wasn't in the Summer Sale, but I paid fifty cents for The Binding of Isaac, and I still consider it to be one of the worst games I've ever played.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Hmm. Probably Witcher 2 and Blood Dragon. Though they were on previous steam sales.

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
Tomb Raider 2013. The only game where I literally gave up on. New Lara is fucking stupid.

Other than that, not really disappointed with any game I got from a sale.

ShinobiJedi42

May 7, 2012
Dark Souls is crap on the computer. I borrowed it from a friend on PS3 and loved it, so I wanted to get it cheap on PC, but the controls are terrible and the screen tears at really random times. Not to mention the absurdity of GFWL. I saw forums where people suggested mods and ways to configure the system to get it to work. I shouldn't have to configure my system and download mods for hours just to get a game to play like it should.

The Swapper won't even load. Capsized was fun for the first two missions, but the game crashed every time I try to load the third. I got Borderlands last summer and it was pretty terrible. Ragequit after a couple of hours. I still bought Borderlands 2 this summer though because a friend said it was better and offered to play co-op with me so hopefully it won't be a waste of money like the first one.

I have a backlog of video games from the Holiday Sale I still haven't played lol. I need to get on that. Dark Souls 2 is taking up all of my time.

purf

Nov 29, 2010
To answer the question literally, worst purchase in this sale?

Batman: Arkham City GOTY. I loved Asylum but... probably too much and for too long. Turns out, the same thing in bigger and open worldier bores me to tears. I just can't be arsed anymore.

K-lusive

May 15, 2014
I had my eyes on Starbound for a while, yet for some reason I accidentally bought Starforge instead.. It was so late at night though and I have only myself to blame.

TerranV

Feb 19, 2014
Baten Kaitos for the Gamecube. I was execting a fun RPG. Instead I got a card game in the guise of an RPG.