The biggest pile of crap you spent money on in the steam sale

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Momentarily, Injustice. The basic moves are executable on keyboard, but trying to do anything fancier is ridiculous with every key set to left side. Hence, I hopefully pick up Dualshock sometime next week.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Well, this is an easy answer for me. The worst game I've purchased from the Steam Summer Sale is, Ride to Hell: Retribution along with it's DLC. Whole reason I bought it is because I needed a copy of the game for my summer block, and PC just happened to be the cheapest version besides the PS3 version.

JoeCool385

May 10, 2010
Toss up between Magicka and Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within, and for similar reasons. I can't say that I wasn't warned with Warrior Within, though. That was the game that inspired the guys at Penny Arcade to insist they play a game before they'd advertise it.

Magicka, though, really suckered me. Played the demo, a lot of fun, interesting mechanics, then I start in to the game and it turns out they forgot to allow you to change the difficulty. After the umpteenth time getting one-shotted by a guy off screen and having to re-play the last boring five minutes of play, I rage quit. The game coulda been fun though, had they simply taken into account players of different patience/frustration tolerance levels.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
RedDeadFred said:
I don't consider any of the games I bought even close to being crap (I only bought 5 games and spent exactly 10 dollars). I have been a little frustrated with Papers Please though. For some reason, whenever I fingerprint people, even when it looks like the prints completely match, I always seem to get a warning anyway. I've begun to simply turn people away as soon as I realize I need to fingerprint them, that seems to work. Maybe I'm missing something, but this doesn't seem right... Other than that, it's a really fun game. The red shirt guy made me chuckle.
You have to compare the prints in game, rather than with your eyes, if that makes any sense.

Compare the two with the 'highlight discrepancy' button.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Pink Gregory said:
RedDeadFred said:
I don't consider any of the games I bought even close to being crap (I only bought 5 games and spent exactly 10 dollars). I have been a little frustrated with Papers Please though. For some reason, whenever I fingerprint people, even when it looks like the prints completely match, I always seem to get a warning anyway. I've begun to simply turn people away as soon as I realize I need to fingerprint them, that seems to work. Maybe I'm missing something, but this doesn't seem right... Other than that, it's a really fun game. The red shirt guy made me chuckle.
You have to compare the prints in game, rather than with your eyes, if that makes any sense.

Compare the two with the 'highlight discrepancy' button.
Oh........ Can't believe I didn't realize that. I guess that'll actually make it easier since I don't have to stare at the two copies. Thanks.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
I dunno, so far I've been pretty happy with everything I bought on this sale. However, I did buy the Tomb Raider bundle, and that does include Angel of Darkness. So while I didn't buy it directly, I'm going to include it because it was the game that basically declared the Tomb Raider series officially dead (until Crystal D rebooted it).

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Nothing this year, I like all the games I bought. I fell in love with Transistor within 10 minutes.

I did buy Hydrophobia for curiosity sake many sales ago. I've never managed to get past the tutorial thanks to game breaking glitches and since even when its working it plays like shit I can't be arsed finding what's wrong and fixing it. It was $1 though so whoop dee doo. $1 every now and again on a risk isn't bad. I bought Spellforce 2 on sale and it was shit so I regret purchasing that.

The penumbra series wasn't great though Overture had Red and Black Plague had Clarence to make the game ok so I don't completely regret it. Requiem I've never bothered to finish and just pretend doesn't exist.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Friggin Star Wars Battlefront 2. For $2. Yes, for such a good game, that is a steal. I call this shit cause a month after I bought it, its servers were announced to be cut off some time later. So, I would have no ability to play online anymore. God. Dammit. At least the single player can still be fun

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
Clive Howlitzer said:
The game Nether. If I had known it was still in what is essentially an alpha state, I wouldn't have bought it. However the actual steam page said nothing about it being early access. Thankfully, the mistake only cost me about 12 dollars(Bought access for some friends also, we all suffered together.)
It is released now, supposed to be pretty good.

The ones I have hated, unfortunately were not on sale. Like above I fell for Brink, terrible... Then Duke Nukem: Forever... Then Aliens: Colonial Marines, the three of those, the ultimate embarrassment. Sales are usually ones that I was not sure of and had been waiting on, so there are plenty of reviews by then.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
SupahGamuh said:
Having 320 games on my library (and counting), I truly don't regret buying any of those games, but the ONLY one I still regret buying is Brink and that wasn't on a sale.

Even worse, it was a pre-order. 9 months early.

If you'll excuse me, I'll go and curl up into a corner for the rest of the night.
My fellow sufferer. I also made the mistake of pre-ordering that game, though it was only a week before release (I wanted one of the preorder bonuses). I spent more time downloading the game than playing it.

Save me some room in that corner.

Steppin Razor

Dec 15, 2009
I didn't buy much this time around so I can only really say Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. Not that the game is bad it's pretty good so far, just that the UI could have used a bit of work. That and some archaic design choices could have been shelved. Like, I'm playing a ranger with a bow and 2 long swords but I can't put them into the quick select together because the bow uses 2 hands and my offhand is in use by the second sword. Stupid little things like that.

Neronium said:
Well, this is an easy answer for me. The worst game I've purchased from the Steam Summer Sale is, Ride to Hell: Retribution along with it's DLC. Whole reason I bought it is because I needed a copy of the game for my summer block, and PC just happened to be the cheapest version besides the PS3 version.
You monster Ride to Hell is a goddamned national treasure, the final bastion of goodness in a sea of terrible games.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Strelok said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
The game Nether. If I had known it was still in what is essentially an alpha state, I wouldn't have bought it. However the actual steam page said nothing about it being early access. Thankfully, the mistake only cost me about 12 dollars(Bought access for some friends also, we all suffered together.)
It is released now, supposed to be pretty good.

The ones I have hated, unfortunately were not on sale. Like above I fell for Brink, terrible... Then Duke Nukem: Forever... Then Aliens: Colonial Marines, the three of those, the ultimate embarrassment. Sales are usually ones that I was not sure of and had been waiting on, so there are plenty of reviews by then.
I bought it during the Steam summer sale and it definitely isn't. It is listed as 'Released' on the steam page but their website says they are still in beta.

Torque2100

Nov 20, 2008
I bought the Two Worlds Ultimate Edition on sale on Steam for $1.99 only to discover, it doesn't work. The game literally will not load on my system.

Oh well, at least I'm only out Two Bucks.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Jim Trailerpark said:
Not in a sale, but I blew money on that horrible Killing Floor thing. I played it 15 minutes and was sickened by just how horrible it is
What didn't you like about it? I absolutely love the game.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Halo Wars.

Back in the day, I was a really huge fan of RTS games, particularly Tiberium Wars and Red Alert 2. I also happened to be on the Halo hype train. So when I heard that an RTS based on the franchise was coming out for a console, I got so psyched. I dropped $80 so I could preorder the special edition of the game. And by god, do I regret it. The gameplay was surprisingly competent and at time the visuals were pretty nice, but in the end, I just couldn't stand the game. Never even finished it.

Kuuenbu

Apr 15, 2013
Bought Duke Nukem Forever for $5 right after it came out. Nobody told me it sucked until it was too late. D:

To date, it has been the only regretful software purchase I can recall since the 20th century. Raise your hands if you too got duped by the Duke. :(

Inazuma1

Professional Asshole
Legacy
Nov 18, 2009
Hell
Dust: An Elysian Tail. Cost me $2.50 I think during the winter sale last year and the combat is just way too shallow to be anything other than tedious.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
The_Kodu said:
Many sales ago now.

Dinner Date - For those who don't know it I can explain the game as follows.

A game with no real Agency for the player unless you consider being able to choose where to look or when to eat while being dragged through a linear narrative as agency.

A main character who comes off immediately as an obnoxious hipster.

The main character
Is meant to be about 27
Likes to ride his Motorcycle into the country to find small coffee shops in which to sit and read classical Poetry.
Is only having this date to try and get his leg over. No really he basically says he just wants sex from the night and nothing more despite him barely knowing his date really.

Will whine about the following:
The fact he's been set up on a date
The fact he's been headhunted for a far better paid job in a better company
The fact to take this better job he's got to move out of his tiny flat and into a far cheaper and more luxurious flat.
The fact the people at the job he's leaving don't value him.

It's a 30 minute long 1st world problems showcase with nothing to really do and nothing really under the hood in terms of deep meaning. You know a game will be bad when even the developers recommend playing the game while drinking alcohol.

That sounds terrible, the very second detail about the coffee shops already hade me hating him but then the rest...