The Binding of Isaac Creeps Past 700k Sales

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
The Binding of Isaac Creeps Past 700k Sales

After surprisingly strong sales, creepy dungeon crawler The Binding of Isaac may be coming to consoles.

Freaky dungeon crawler, The Binding of Isaac certainly seems to have captured people's hearts - the game has sold over 700,000 copies since it was released back in September of last year. 1/5th of those sales were made during the three weeks following the release of the title's first expansion, The Wrath of the Lamb.

Since the launch of said expansion was a bit on the rough side, the developer has released a free update that fixes a few outstanding bugs and adds new content, achievements, music and another ending.

"Who would have thought a game about an abused child fighting off his mother with his tears could ever sell 700k copies in less than a year? Not me, that's for fucking sure," tweeted designer, Edmund McMillen, whose previous work includes Super Meatboy, Gish and ****.

"This is also a big thank you to the fans who have honestly carried this game to stardom," he continued. "We are eternally grateful for your support, creativity and devotion. 700k is a big number... maybe it's time to bring this thing to console. ;)"

Back in February, Nintendo decided not to allow Binding of Isaac to appear on the 3DS, apparently due to its "questionable religious content."

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/binding-of-isaac-passes-700k-sales-gets-another-update-229840.phtml]

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Well, he certainly deserves it.
That being said, the requirements for the new secret ending are fucking ridiculous.

Ewyx

Dec 3, 2008
hazabaza1 said:
That being said, the requirements for the new secret ending are fucking ridiculous.
Oh? What are they?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Ewyx said:
hazabaza1 said:
Oh? What are they?
From what I understand, you have to bring the polaroid to the end boss of the Cathedral and win the boss fight with every character, then beat the game on the Cathedral path again, going through another super hard floor and another boss fight.
For people who have never played the game that's probably gibberish but for people who do play it they're probably all going "wat".

Hammeroj said:
It's a flash game on Newgrounds. I believe you control a penis at the bottom of the screen and shoot semen into vaginas at the top of the screen.

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
This. I love BoI and WotL, but having the last level essentially denied to you because the Random Number Generator thought you weren't worthy of having a certain trinket is annoying. I've only managed to beat the chest once so far, and that was with Epic Fetus, Mitre and 10 health containers :p.

Haven't seen the Polaroid since -.-

Also, fuck doing it with blue baby.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012

I dont think I need to add a comment to say about how much I adore this game.

hazabaza1 said:
It's a flash game on Newgrounds. I believe you control a penis at the bottom of the screen and shoot semen into vaginas at the top of the screen.
Sounds fun.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
Best... game... evar!!!

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
I really wished they would have allowed this game to come to the 3ds. It would be a perfect fit. (Or any handheld for that matter)

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
I really hope this does come to a console, I've already clocked in *checks Steam* 284 hours of playtime. I haven't actually been to the new floor yet, but it sounds awesome. It just sucks that the Steam achievements don't unlock on the Mac version...

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Davroth said:
I really wished they would have allowed this game to come to the 3ds. It would be a perfect fit. (Or any handheld for that matter)
It would be a nice fit but nintendo has always been rather paranoid about religion on its systems, they tended to listen to the naysayers a bit too much and thus err on the side of caution a bit much, I remember when the clean version mk1 was released on the snes, they were quite surprised at how mad people were about it being censored.

Gulleko

Mar 30, 2011
I've played it for 534 hours. And no, I don't really have a life, but I AM A PLATINUM GOD! :p
In my defense, I usually play it when I'm watching/listening to livestreams and podcasts, just to keep my hands busy.

The chance for finding the polaroid increases a lot if you use the "fortune teller" slot machines, since they drop trinkets.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Also, I hope this paves the way for Ed McMillen to make full versions of some of his other games, like Spewer or Time Fcuk.

Especially Spewer has lots of untapped potential.

[ Spewer Ending Spoiler incoming ]
The end of Spewer reveals that this artificial life form you've been playing is supposed to go into the bloodstream of the scientist's wife to save her life. I was absolutely sure the bonus chapter would be inside her body, trying to heal whatever she suffers from.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Suggestion box:

What if the Escapist had the video game counterpart of stock market reviews in regular newspapers? A kind of column that could be updated weekly to display the hottest news regarding the financial status of certain titles, developers and publishers, complete with cold hard facts and miniature revenue graphs. I think it would give readers a more comprehensive view of the state of the industry.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Davroth said:
Also, I hope this paves the way for Ed McMillen to make full versions of some of his other games, like Spewer or Time Fcuk.

Especially Spewer has lots of untapped potential.

[ Spewer Ending Spoiler incoming ]
The end of Spewer reveals that this artificial life form you've been playing is supposed to go into the bloodstream of the scientist's wife to save her life. I was absolutely sure the bonus chapter would be inside her body, trying to heal whatever she suffers from.
yeah he does good work. I played both those games on newgrounds, and would gladly buy them if they were ever released in any paid capacity to show my support.