The Black Sheep Of Your Favourite Series

Last Hugh Alive

Jul 6, 2011
The first Saints Row game. Not as good as the sequel, but still doesn't get the love it deserves.

Mortal Kombat: Armageddon. The game had potential given the premise and the inclusion of the 50+ characters on the entire MK roster. But it sucked because nobody cared about the protagonist, absolutely nothing was accomplished by the end, NO FUCKING FATALITIES, and a lot of characters shared a lot of moves, throws and entire weapon movesets.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
putowtin said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
putowtin said:
Assassin's Creed, it's got a great story, and it introduced me (and everyone) to an exciting world, but the original, boy it's not the greatest!
I can understand what you're saying, it being the original, the gameplay is alot less refined... but i'd actually say 2 is the black sheep of the series.
For 2 reasons mainly:
The first reason being the absolutely ridiculous twist ending that would put M. Night Shyamalan to shame, and it spawning a tradition of stupid twist endings that each game seems to be trying its best to outdo.
And the second that we only got to use Leonardos flying machine for one mission!
but the second game brought me Ezio! (and I'm a sucker for italians!)
I suppose, for all the games faults with its plot, it makes up for it with this:

<youtube=lILadudQ22A>

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Civilization V - technological abomination. To avoid getting into details, a game that launched with a build that was marked Release and should've been marked Early Alpha. Disturbingly awesome potential within the game.

Worms: Reloaded - any 3D is an abomination of Worms that I'm gonna file along with it (and as much worse than it), but for what was supposed to be a simple rebuild of a game that old and simple without anything too fancy added, they still managed to make it much worse than either Armageddon or WWP (mainly the lack of options within the game setups and a worsened UI).

GTA IV - I like it, but it's still the black sheep of the family compared to the others. Some fantastic additions, but it doesn't change the fact it traded the soul of the franchise for them or that it's... I won't say worse, but a lot less better than others on the whole.

CoD: Black Ops - not talking multiplayer, but singleplayer vastly disappointed. Old CoD games were decent fun back in the day, first MW had a fantastic story and brought very polished gameplay (which was in itself an innovation at the time) and great visuals, WaW brought an interestingly depressing FPS (a pretty good one, just depressing in atmosphere), MW2 brought less story for more action and a great co-op/challenge mode and Black Ops... did fuck all.

Dragon Age 2 - need I beat the ashen remains that were once a dead horse? Awakening wasn't great either, boring mostly due to the fact it added next to nothing to a game that had more than enough content to begin with.

Mass Effect - mostly for being a shoddy PC port, though I'm not sure how I'd fare with the whole RPG aspect of it despite me being a big RPG fan, it didn't seem particularly well made

Probably some more. If I have to pick one, it'll be Civilization V. Just thinking of it's potential being ruined by nothing other than lack of work on the game is making me genuinely sad and angry. Polish the game, sort out at least the major issues (optimization, crashes, memory leaks), make the AI work right (some diplomacy options are completely useless, always being a no even on lower difficulties and I won't even talk about their move back/front/back/front combat abilities) and you've got yourself not just a decent, but one of the best games of the decade. Instead, last I checked, most of the major issues were still there (almost a year post-release) and the motherfuckers were making DLC upon DLC for extra profits.

DragonChi

Nov 1, 2008
Zelda Series - Phantom Hourglass and Majora's Mask (I just hate the 3 day time limit with every inch of my being, sorry. Apart from that the game is fine). I am pretending as usual that the CDi games never existed.

Sonic Series - Every game since they went 3D with him. Until now, with the amazing Sonic Generations.

Fallout Series - Fallout 3. YES..I'm one of those Fallout purists. I have my standards.

Heroes of Might and Magic Series - HOMM IV (It was an abomination)

Elder Scrolls Series - Oblivion. Boring and buggy as all hell.

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
Dark Prophet said:
Dawn of War Soulstorm, I don't understand how they managed to fuck it up, come on there are dark eldar and sisters of battle there, sisters of fucking battle.
Iron Lore (the company that made it) went bankrupt while making the game. They literally didn't care about it because it wouldn't save the company. It has really good mods, though.

OT: For me, Halo ODST. It should have just been the expansion that Bungie wanted it to be. Then it would be decent at least.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
Disgaea 2 is usually cited as the Black Sheep in the series, but I've had a great time with it nonetheless.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
JMan said:
Bloody Roar 4: Last game in the series currently took all the controls and gameplay mechanics and made it nearly unplayable to people who got comfortable with the others.
this

and Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, there is no joy to be had in that game, they took every thing that made the games good, and punted em out the window

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
For me, probably Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories.

Not the worst game I ever played, but it's certainly the worst Kingdom Hearts game I ever played.

The settings are all one giant rehash, the combat is "meh", the bosses aren't all that interesting to fight (which is really weird for a Kingdom Hearts game), and the room creation aspect is cool IN THEORY, but poorly exectuted.

Oh, and the cards. All the damn cards.

I haven't played Chain of Memories: RE, but I understand that it sucks LESS than the GBA version. Yeah, I'm not exactly thrilled at the prospect of playing a "not as bad" version of a game I didn't like all that much to begin with.

Also, haven't played Coded, but I understand that might actually be WORSE than CoM. Still, I'll HAVE to get around to playing that eventually, and form my own opinion on it.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. I've heard a lot of people bash this game for various reasons, but I just can't stop playing it. It just draws me back ever single time!

nklshaz

Nov 27, 2010
Resistance 2. Imposing a two weapon limit on a game who's creative weapons are a selling point was a terrible idea

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Assassin's Creed - It was a great tech-demo.... The other games in the series are damn near the best games ever made. Ever.
I'd be overjoyed if they went back and completely reworked Assassin's Creed to bring it up to par.

Okamiden - haven't played it. Can't. It's not on a system I own. Okami is another one of the greatest games ever made, and then they took the only other game in the series and released it only on a totally unrelated portable... WTF?

Dawn Of War:Soulstorm - If we could simply banish all flying units from that game it'd be fantastic.

Age Of Empires III - I like AoE and love AoE2. AoE3 was retarded.

Age Of Mythology:The Titans - I love Age Of Mythology, and The Titans expansion is good...except for the stupid Titans themselves. They just do NOT belong. They're not as bad as the flyers in Dawn Of War:Soulstorm, but they have the same generally unwelcome presence in the game.

Megaman X6 - Megaman X1-3 are great. Megaman X4 is basically perfect. Megaman X5 was pretty good. Megaman X6 was a bit....wrong. Everything about that game is just not..the way it should be.... It bugs me. I don't know exactly what it is about the game that's so off, but damn it's off.
Don't get me wrong, the game is still good, but compared to the rest it's an ugly stain on the series.

nokori3byo

Feb 24, 2008
Ieyke said:
I'd be overjoyed if they went back and completely reworked Assassin's Creed to bring it up to par.
I think the closest we'll get to that is being able to revisit Altair in the new game.

I was one of the people who really enjoyed the original and enjoyed the later games even more, but AC back in 2007 was almost the black sheep of AAA gaming. Seriously devisive.

I guess Red Dead Revolver deserves mention, though I've never played it. And those poor Sonic fans! more black sheep in that pen than white ones...

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Dark Prophet said:
Dawn of War Soulstorm, I don't understand how they managed to fuck it up, come on there are dark eldar and sisters of battle there, sisters of fucking battle.
It wasn't made by Relic. There's your answer.

SckizoBoy said:
OT: Empire: Total War

I still enjoyed the strategy side, but the battles made me rage to hell and back so I only played them a couple times and fucked it subsequently.

Every other title in the series (that's 6 and counting) has been pretty much what I've come to expect (or not as the early titles were, but they were still damned fun at the time).
... that too... felt so grind-y at times, even though it had less to grind than the other two games... o_O'[/quote]

And this. Dear god the AI in this game was bad. Diplomacy is impossible, a faction will have gigantic army stacks, and yet only send out one or two hussars to burn your fucking towns down, and the battle AI will charge towards your gun line before stopping in front and running around in circles while getting slaughtered.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
Prince of Persia from 2008. True, Forgotten Sands wasn't great either, but it wasn't as bad as that embarrassing (but damn pretty) disaster of a game.

Mercenaries 2 also, managed to kill what could have been a franchise, it seems.