The Blackwell Deception Goes Free For Halloween

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Blackwell Deception Goes Free For Halloween

Wadjet Eye's point-and-click adventure The Blackwell Deception has been spruced up and turned loose as a Halloween freebie.

Wadjet Eye has released a lot of really good point-and-click adventures over the years (and one or two that weren't so good, but never mind that), among them the four games in the Blackwell series: Legacy, Unbound, Convergence and Deception. They're older games - Legacy was released in 2006 and the most recent, Deception, came out in October 2011 - but adventure games tend to hold up pretty well to the passage of time, and most Wadjet Eye games have that old VGA visual style to them anyway.

If you like that sort of thing, or even just think you might, you can pick up The Blackwell Deception right now at absolutely no charge. All you have to do is bop over to the Wadjet Eye website, click on the Blackwell Deception link in the menu and then select "buy now." You'll be immediately taken to the download page, where you can select your link of choice and be on your way.

And this isn't "just" the Blackwell Deception, oh no; this is the updated version, with higher quality character portraits! Okay, so maybe that's not the most Earth-shattering update ever, but hey, it's free. The Blackwell Deception Halloween freebie will be available until 11:59 pm EST on November 1.

Source: Wadjet Eye Games [http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/blackwell-deception.html]

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Free? Don't mind if I do!
I like point&clicks, so sure, I'll give it a shot.

vun

Burrowed Lurker
Apr 10, 2008
Neat, this game has actually been on my wishlist for a while. Currently not on a point&click spree, but this will be nice to have when I get the point&click cravings.

Matt K

Sep 18, 2010
Great game series, I have to reinstall it myself to check out the new graphics. I hope this means they're working on some more games in the series though.

ETA: Also, nice since Deception was the only game of the series I didn't have DRM free.

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
I love this series. It took me a little while to get into but now I'm eagerly awaiting the rest of the series.

I'm not sure how I felt about Deception. On one hand it was fun and on the other hand it felt like it was made by different people trying to make a break with some of the elements of the past games.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Awesome games the Blackwell series. They started off a little ropey in but got stronger every release with Deception being the high point so far (though I personally didn't care for the new art style as much). Can't wait for the next episode, thankfully I won't have to wait to long as it has a fall 2013 release date :D

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
For anyone wondering why it doesn't show up as free on Steam (As of this message), it's because it's only free on the website. Don't worry, though, because the site gives you a free Steam key. Just follow the link in the original post, click Buy Now, and click 'Get Steam Key'. Plop that into Steam, and you should be alright!

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Bleidd Whitefalcon said:
I'm at the site as of now (10:04 PM Eastern on October 31) and it's showing the price at $10.00. What happened?
Umm... Not sure. Originally you had to enter "BOO" as a discount code to zero out the price but there were some issues with that, so they changed it to a straight-up free game - the "buy now" button took you straight to the download link. Now, I don't know. The "BOO" code isn't working either.

Lemme look into it.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Lemme look into it.
Much appreciated. I bought Deception when it first came out and I'd be a mite annoyed if I missed out on the (slightly) updated version.

Jorpho

Nov 6, 2008
It would seem that the sale ended at 11:59 PM on Oct 31 and not 11:59 PM on Nov 1. Shucky darns.

Surely the updates will get pushed to Steam anyway?

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
I think we have an answer - news post coming.

UPDATE: Here it is - http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129242-Blackwell-Deception-Giveaway-Goes-Bad-30-000-Steam-Keys-Stolen

Bleidd Whitefalcon

Mar 8, 2012
Andy Chalk said:
I think we have an answer - news post coming.

UPDATE: Here it is - http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129242-Blackwell-Deception-Giveaway-Goes-Bad-30-000-Steam-Keys-Stolen
Gotcha. Thanks for looking into this for us, Andy.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Bleidd Whitefalcon said:
Gotcha. Thanks for looking into this for us, Andy.
It's not the kind of answer any of us were hoping for, but it's hard to argue that it's not a good reason to pull the plug. Hopefully this doesn't cause any long-lasting hardship for Wadjet Eye, or any lingering ill feelings toward gamers/the internet as a whole.