The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Review - Boots on the Ground

Encaen

May 6, 2005
The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Review - Boots on the Ground

At least 60% of the time, The Bureau delivers a legitimate XCOM experience.

Read Full Article

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Looks good. Will most likely get it off Steam when I get paid this week. I heard that you can make choices that effect the story later on. Was that just a rumor and not true or are the choices not that big of a deal?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, actually sounds decent to me. Most of the cons are "Pluses" to me because I feel that when you put too much storyline into a strategy title it serves to actually diminish your options. I think one of the things that makes X-com work has largely been the very vague premise which everyone can easily understand and get behind, and the lack of a pre-defined narrative creating the feel that your actually in control of defending earth rather than simply playing through the exciting bits of a story about someone else defending earth.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
"If you're a one-man army, however, and hate to rely on your team, the experience will likely be a frustrating one"

Yeah this doesn't sound like it's for me then. I never really minded have to lead a squad, it's just that for games that require extensive team work I have yet to play one where I didn't suspect my squadmates were clinically brain dead. Rainbow Six was the worst offender of this I can remember (though Vegas alliviated this slightly by making them more durable than most armored vehicles), and Combined this with hive mind enemies with reaction times that need to be measured in planc seconds, and the improbable aiming ability to be able to consistently nail you in the head with every pellet from a shotgun from Pluto. After dealing with that you can probably understand why I've sworn off this style of gameplay.

Bevin Warren

Jun 6, 2011
So far this is the only review Ive read that was positive... Heck Jims review on Destructiod was quite negative.

PBMcNair

Aug 31, 2009
Bevin Warren said:
So far this is the only review Ive read that was positive... Heck Jims review on Destructiod was quite negative.
Its positive, but it gets the three star "decidedly average" rating. I'm guessing its a bit like Hitman Absolution or Splinter Cell convition: Not bad games, but bad entries in the franchise.

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
Is this actually a prequel to Enemy Unknown? It seems like that is how they are trying to spin it, but it only looks tangentially linked to said game.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Sounds like the game is a bit on the average side then. At least this review had a few good things to say about it. Still, it's $80 on Steam in this country, which is much too much for a shooter that isn't a shoe-in for GotY awards.

Oh well. Hopefully fans of the series will find something to enjoy.

Edit: And hey, this thing went through a bit of dev hell. At least it doesn't look like a serious flop a la Aliens Coloniel Marines.

Werewolfkid

Nov 1, 2012
The fact that this game is simply average is probably the best thing that could have happened to it. Most games do not survive development hell with their souls intact. Games like Duke Nukem Forever and Aliens Colonial Marines are prime examples. But the fact The Bureau XCOM Declassified is a good game, not a great one nor a bad one, shows the talent of the studio that created it. I hope that at least some people recognize that 2K Marin has a lot of talented people working for it and are skilled enough to make the best of a bad situation. Hopefully, 2K Games will soon let them make their own original property instead of being handed other studios games and being told to make a sequel or spin-off. I'm really interested to see what they would make on their own without the expectations of rabid fans breathing down their neck.

notred360

Nov 23, 2011
i find it a bit sad that the origin of the x-com program seems to of changed from the world leaders banding together to fight a overwhelming foe, to america must save the world because only Americans can save the world, everyone else just sits and waits to die, though if i'm wrong about that please tell me.

the game-play seems interesting and i like the retro look of some of the aliens, might pick it up when the price drops a bit.

Kilo24

Aug 20, 2008
PBMcNair said:
Its positive, but it gets the three star "decidedly average" rating. I'm guessing its a bit like Hitman Absolution or Splinter Cell convition: Not bad games, but bad entries in the franchise.
If the other entries in the series (save for the original and the recent reboot) are any indication, then this FPS is still one of the best entries in the franchise. Historically, companies have not been too careful about quality control with X-COM, which is a major reason for the skepticism about this game's quality.

I'll probably keep my eye open on Steam sales for this game and get it around the $10-$20 mark in a few years.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Always with the talk about the player being 'the last line of defence' and yadda yadda yadda.

I want to know what it's like to be the first line of defence.

Anyway, pleh. Another TPS with meagre squad control elements. Sure, it could work if the level design was inspired and interesting, but I doubt that somehow.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Now it's a third person shooter?, wasn't it a first person shooter at first?.

Anyways, it looks decent enough, though it looks a bit too much like Mass Effect or Gears of War, so, I'll might grab it when it gets a lower price on Steam.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Kilo24 said:
If the other entries in the series (save for the original and the recent reboot) are any indication, then this FPS is still one of the best entries in the franchise. Historically, companies have not been too careful about quality control with X-COM, which is a major reason for the skepticism about this game's quality.
I've yet to meet anyone who was skeptical about this game because of some poor sequels to the original X-Com. The skepticism came from the fact that this is an FPS set in a different time period and with seemingly very little to connect it to the actual XCom games.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
Pink Gregory said:
I want to know what it's like to be the first line of defence.
The experience typically doesn't last long enough to make a story out of it. :)

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Pink Gregory said:
I want to know what it's like to be the first line of defense.
If it's made it to the last line, that's usually because the first lines have failed, so you'd probably be dead quick in a game like that.

Considering it has some decent rewards on Steam (I haven't got Xcom: EU on PC and my Xbox is having disc reading issues) seems to be average overall, some praise here and there, some nays thereabouts as well, I think I might preorder it before it releases in this country. Green Man Gaming has a good preorder price considering it's almost $80 here at stores to preorder, the $45 deal as well as getting several other games seems to be good enough for me.

I like third person shooters with a little something else to offer, so the tactics bit sounds good to me. Considering an Xcom game has yet to have what I would call a good story, I wasn't expecting much on that front. So yeah, am getting it methinks.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
If it was actually intended to be a back-story and assumed that X-Com had existed in the 1960s, my primary question would have to be: How is it that X-Com managed to successfully drive back an alien incursion back in the 60s, but still needs to figure out how to re-invent the plasma rifle in the present day?!