The careers that are "evil"

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Seems there's two main groups that end up being considered 'evil' though that's a bit of an overstatement.
I wouldn't consider them evil in any real sense usually, just, very, very annoying.

Pushy, manipulative people,

And people with a lot of power over others.

In group 1, you find salesmen, telemarketers, and generally, anyone who tries to convince you to do something you're not so sure of. Counts for double if it involves a lot of money, like, say, real estate, or cars (or something similar).
Incedentally, homeless people begging for money, or people collecting for charity can be just as bad, if not worse, and yet people are less inclined to hate them because of the reasons they are doing it. (also, you feel guilty hating them - Which, plays into their hands really, since it makes it even harder to say no to them.)

The second group contains pretty much anyone who is rich, by default, but especially if they use or obtained their money in an annoying way; Ie. Bankers, CEO's, (and in a more abstract sense, large corporations generally), military commanders, and governments in general. Probably bureaucrats too, come to think of it.
Religious figures would have been in this group in the past, except they don't really have any of the power or Authority they used to.
On a smaller scale, police can be in this group too, especially the ones responsible for the more petty stuff, like traffic offences.

Finally, there's a third group; The one that combines the annoying aspects of both;
Here we find Lawyers, Politicians (many of which are lawyers anyway), and depending on the situation, celebrities.
They combine the obnoxious traits of having power over other's lives to some extent, with being really argumentative and pushy, and possibly quite manipulative, especially in an underhanded sort of way.

So... Yeah. Probably forgot a thing or two, but as a generalisation, it makes sense. XD

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
I'd say that the CEOs/board members of the companies that are simultaneously wrecking our environment while spending tons of money trying to cover up the damage they're doing.
I don't really mind greed in general, but when the greed of some has dire consequences for others and/or the planet, that I take issue with.
Also in this category:
Drug dealers (this includes cigarette companies)
Con artists
Mercenaries
etc.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
- Recording industry
- Ticket/parking inspectors
- Airport traffic wardens
- Telemarketers

To be fair, the last three are just really unfortunate, as they got a job where their job IS to be the way they are, but the recording industry is just BS from the ground up. The way they rip off artists is beyond ridiculous in this day and age, and how they deprive the public of the ample amount of talent out there is simply criminal. But, i guess the public go for it, so one can't really blame them, just as you can't blame the CEO's of M$, apple, Sony, etc. for getting away with what they have done in the past..

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
People in marketing.

Particularly in marketing for diet pills and things like that.

I would write something more about it, but instead, I'll just post this song I wrote about a year and a half ago that sums up my feelings:

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Ahlycks said:
Aurgelmir said:
I don't know about that, but the UNORIGINAL AVATAR POLICE IS HERE TO GET YOU.

*siren*

U.A.P. said:
sir, step out of the internet. Your webbing unoriginal, aren't you. Sir, breath into this, please.

*100%*

Sir, you are heavily unoriginal. Your need to, by law, visit this user group immediately to get a new, original, avatar free of charge.
All I am guilty of is not having bothered to make some silly animated avatar like everyone else... So sue me :)

EDIT: I now have an awesome zombie as an avatar. Is that better?

Mrrrgggrlllrrrg

Jun 21, 2010
Lawyer is evil because of people trying to defend people who are guilty because there is sufficient evidence.

Politician is an evil choice because they tend to seek power/money in a sociopathic manner under the guise of trying to help society, not to mention the two party system in the US is destroying my country and homeland.

salesman is somewhat misunderstood, they need to sell because how much they sell decides how much they make 90% of the time.

Depending on the person and what they do anything can be considered evil if there is enough bad apples.

Tibike77

Mar 20, 2008
Baby Tea said:
Tibike77 said:
[...]CLERGY[...]
Oh wow, this is a shock. Anti-theist BS on the Escapist forums.
Truly, I didn't see this coming.
I can't wait to scroll through the rest and find more of these, as well as 'lol' and 'so true' quotes back-patting this bigotry.
I wonder how many of these people would jump on someone who said 'evolutionary scientist'?
Or 'Abortion doctor' in this thread?
Well, I could have just stopped at mentioning sales people and con men and maybe the "alternative medicine" people, but apparently some people don't realize that at the intersection of those things lies exactly what's quoted. I don't know about you, but when somebody tries to get money from me by aggressively trying to sell me a product that doesn't even exist or might exist but certainly doesn't work (regardless of whether they might believe it exists//works themselves or not), I tend to consider that a pretty "evil" career move.

"Abortion doctor" is just about as evil as "Fisherman", "Butcher" or "guy working at the meat packaging plant". Or, if you prefer a much more adequate simile, a doctor performing a medically justifiable amputation. It's not like he goes around hunting for unsuspecting victims that want to have a kid and yank them out. Whoever WANTS to get an abortion would probably either go have an abortion anyway, or end up resenting, abandoning or hurting the child, or maybe just be unable to take care of it. So where exactly is anything evil in improving the quality of life of actual human beings, as opposed to a not-even-formed potential future human ?
But hey, what else can you expect from people that believe contraception is morally wrong ? Uuuuh, I bet your list probably has "condom-makers" near the top !

"Evolutionary scientist" is about as descriptive as "guy working with computers" (that is to say, hardly descriptive at all). And it's not more or less evil than any other kinds of scientists. You know, the whole point of science is that it's mostly objective. How exactly did the pursuit of KNOWLEDGE (as opposed to blind belief shunning any possibility of change) get even in the same zipcode as "evil" ?
But hey, we don't expect much else from a biased theist, so keep bringing on the fluffy clouds of brimstone or whatever it is you think you might eventually scare us with.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Tibike77 said:
Baby Tea said:
Tibike77 said:
[...]CLERGY[...]
Oh wow, this is a shock. Anti-theist BS on the Escapist forums.
Truly, I didn't see this coming.
I can't wait to scroll through the rest and find more of these, as well as 'lol' and 'so true' quotes back-patting this bigotry.
I don't know about you, but when somebody tries to get money from me by aggressively trying to sell me a product that doesn't even exist or might exist but certainly doesn't work (regardless of whether they might believe it exists//works themselves or not), I tend to consider that a pretty "evil" career move.
But hey, what else can you expect from people that believe contraception is morally wrong ? Uuuuh, I bet your list probably has "condom-makers" near the top !
But hey, we don't expect much else from a biased theist, so keep bringing on the fluffy clouds of brimstone or whatever it is you think you might eventually scare us with.
Ahh yes.
Look, kids! The anti-theist attacks what he thinks are my believes, and the beliefs shared by all of Faith. And yet, his post is filled with so much mis-information, that you realize his 'knowledge' of any sort of faith is centered around internet anecdotes and here-say.

Take a look at the passive aggressive comments at the end of every point! They seem to be both cutting AND intelligent, but unfortunately they are neither. They really just give away his lack of theological education and understanding. But that's what happens when you are so staunchly against something you know very little about.

Oh but this is the internet, so just wait: His response will be filled with how he used to goto church, or knows people around him who goto church, who are just bad bad people. He'll give all sorts of 'first hand' accounts, and show how super educated he is. Of course this is unprovable, and also very unlikely. So we'll end up at a stale-mate, and he'll walk away with the smug satisfaction of 'standing up' to one of those 'religious types', when all he really did is spout mis-information, ignorance, and here-say.

Bravo, anti-theist. Take a bow.

Tibike77

Mar 20, 2008
Baby Tea said:
Ahh yes.
Look, kids! The anti-theist attacks what he thinks are my believes, and the beliefs shared by all of Faith. And yet, his post is filled with so much mis-information, that you realize his 'knowledge' of any sort of faith is centered around internet anecdotes and here-say.
I suppose the possibility that I might have actually been born and raised in family with some members crucial in my upbringing that had very strong religious beliefs (i.e. grandmother) and with strong ties to the local church (half of my childhood was spent in her village, which was a relatively small one, and all of it regularly attended church services).
Some people actually grow out of it, you know...

Take a look at the passive aggressive comments at the end of every point! They seem to be both cutting AND intelligent, but unfortunately they are neither. They really just give away his lack of theological education and understanding. But that's what happens when you are so staunchly against something you know very little about.
And I suppose that the thought that I had more than enough conversation about the religion I was brought up in with members of the clergy, or the fact that I read the Bible from start to end several times before I even got into highschool, that also would be inconceivable, right ?
I mean, no sane person that was ever brought up as a religious person, after studying the relevant texts would ever refusing to appease the inevitable cognitive dissonance by re-examining the assumption that the holy writ might be the one that's got some stuff wrong, eh ?
Or, you know, that stuff in there is merely a collection of fables and parables written by men for a specific purpose, as opposed to the actual (indirect) word of an onmiscient, omnipotent and benevolent deity ?
I'm sure none of those thoughts have even begun to cross your mind.

Oh but this is the internet, so just wait: His response will be filled with how he used to goto church, or knows people around him who goto church, who are just bad bad people. He'll give all sorts of 'first hand' accounts, and show how super educated he is. Of course this is unprovable, and also very unlikely. So we'll end up at a stale-mate, and he'll walk away with the smug satisfaction of 'standing up' to one of those 'religious types', when all he really did is spout mis-information, ignorance, and here-say.
Bravo, anti-theist. Take a bow.
Why said anything about "regular" believers being bad people ? They're far from anything of the sort. The worst you can say about them is that they might occasionally be more pragmatic than charitable, or that they are horribly gullible.

I have zero problems with people that CHOOSE to believe in something, if that's all they do. I don't even mind discussing their beliefs with them. I mean, I don't mind discussing the belief some random person has that they're the president of Nowheristania, or that their ugly children are beautiful, and I might even be pretty polite about it... up to a point. But when that first person asks me to pay taxes to him for being a Nowheristanian citizen, or when that other person expects his kids to be the winners of a beauty pageant, well then, in that case, I do start to mind entertaining their notions, and the tone of the discussion changes.

Now take a religion, for instance. I don't have anything against the beliefs of the religion itself, as long as they do not interfere with the way I choose to conduct my day to day life, and as long as they do not interfere with what I would consider my rights, or when they start to try to dictate what should be and what shouldn't be moral.
And now we're on to the subject of CLERGY. Clergy is the bureaucracy of a religion. It's the dead weight to an otherwise enjoyable experience. The group of people that unilaterally decide HOW things should be interpreted. People that rewrite history, or the official spin on it anyway.
Clergy (especially the higher echelons) are nothing but politicians, but there's next to NO real democracy involved in any of those types of religio-political dealings. It's much more of an APPARENT benevolent and very limited power dictatorship, except that people eat it up as just fine and dandy.

TL;DR : beliefs can be good, organized religion taken as a whole mostly meh, just the clergy and especially the higher up you go in the ranks clearly increasingly evil

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
Xaryn Mar said:
...any job with a goal of earning money for the sake of earning money (bankers, real estate, salesmen, stock market brokers).
You realize that almost everyone doing business of any kind is doing it almost exclusively to make money, right? My friend that works at Quick Trip is not trying to better the world by providing affordable soft drinks to a desperate and thirsty populace -- he needs cash so he can go to Gaslight Anthem concerts and get gas so he can see his girlfriend. Just because a person is intent on making a lot of money doesn't mean he's evil, nor is the fact that he has a lot of money indicate foul play. And don't forget that the easiest way to make money is to make lots of people really happy about something you do and keep doing it (for a price). Win-win scenario right there.

Mythbhavd

May 1, 2008
You know, it's so funny how people assume that Real Estate agents are liars and cheats. My mom was a real estate agent and dealt with close to a hundred other realtors. I can think of one that was a liar. It's kinda like the idea that people have that all car salesmen or all lawyers are out to get you.

I suppose I would say that evil career choices would include: gangster, drug dealers, black marketeers, and...um...lemme see...people who make stupid commercials.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Tibike77 said:
And now we're on to the subject of CLERGY. Clergy is the bureaucracy of a religion. It's the dead weight to an otherwise enjoyable experience. The group of people that unilaterally decide HOW things should be interpreted. People that rewrite history, or the official spin on it anyway.
Clergy (especially the higher echelons) are nothing but politicians, but there's next to NO real democracy involved in any of those types of religio-political dealings. It's much more of an APPARENT benevolent and very limited power dictatorship, except that people eat it up as just fine and dandy.

TL;DR : beliefs can be good, organized religion taken as a whole mostly meh, just the clergy and especially the higher up you go in the ranks clearly increasingly evil
Hey! Thanks for totally proving my point.
Of course you have experience! First hand! Tons! And you've read the whole Bible, cover to cover! That automatically and completely makes up for the lack of theological education. I mean, just reading it from cover to cover (Which is the correct way to read it, after all) is precisely the way to know everything about it.
Good show.

However, it seems your problem isn't with religion, it's with a particular denomination. Namely: Catholicism (Possibly Anglican).

Obviously not all denominations have this idea of 'clergy' where one is 'higher' and 'more Holy' then the other. I've only seen that with Catholics (And Anglicans). But you know that, right? I mean, of course you do. You don't generalize. You know that not everyone who is Christian adheres to Catholic doctrines.

Oh wait. You do generalize about 'clergy' however. They are obviously all evil. Or, to use your terms: They are clearly evil. The higher up you go, that is. Well I'm so glad it's so clear to you. I'm also so glad that you're well adjusted enough to make the distinction between the clergy you've 'met' (allegedly), and every other religious leader everywhere. I mean, if the Catholics have a hierarchy like that, then all religions do. And if all religions do, then their priests, clergy, pastors, reverends, gurus, and leaders are all evil.

That's totally not a ridiculous generalization.
Not at all.

Tibike77

Mar 20, 2008
Wrong again. Orthodox. Could have just looked at location first. But that's not the point anyway.

Oh, and you bet I generalize, because that's the whole issue. Statistically speaking, which jobs are "evil".
OF COURSE you'll always have some people that genuinely believe they're helping, since they might have drank from their own particular brand of spiritual moonshine a bit to much.
And of course there MIGHT be some types of religions where nothing I said applies. Still, as far as followers count goes and their corresponding clergy ranks, it's spot on.
So, yeah, I generalize. That was the whole point.
Of course there are honest bankers and good-natured bureaucrats that try to help not hinder, but that still doesn't make the banking industry or a bureaucracy the opposite of (a maybe unavoidable or even necessary) evil.

Also, you seem to be unable to distinguish the followers of a faith and the faith itself from the members of that religion's clergy.
Hint : the former could easily survive without any of the latter.

And even more to the point... no, my problem is not with any particular denomination of religion.
My problem is with people that seek to MAKE A PROFIT by exploiting other people's beliefs and that seek to IMPOSE their particular world views on everybody else, as forcefully as they can get away with it.
Basically, again, my problem is with the particular mix of salesman/quack/politician that is the typical mix you see in just about any (higher-ranking) organized religion official figures.