The classical weapon lineup - classic or cliche?

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Hello again people, I'm sure you're all thrilled to have another of my threads. No matter, you clicked it, so I won't waste your time babbling.

I have heard a lot of complaints about how you in games, mostly FPS', always start out with melee, pistol, shotgun, machinegun, some variation of a rifle, a rocket/grenade launcher of some sort and an overpowered exotic thing you never get ammo for anyways. Not 100% accurate, but this is the gist of it. People ***** and moan "we want more, different and original weapons but at the same time we want emphasis on story and overall gameplay". Fine. But, as you are probably the smartest internet community I'm around, I would love to hear your ideas for new, functional(I.E. not like "a gun that shoots guns that shoots swords" or the like...) and original weapons without making the game unbalanced.

May 28, 2009
I never complained. I am happy with that line-up. That way I don't get surprised when I am given a "shitfuckatron 4531" and told to master it.

weary

May 24, 2009
Introduce magic make anything possible... end up complaining how everything is either a fireball or lightning

suhlEap

Apr 14, 2009
armed and dangerous... the shark gun. that thing was awesome!
but in all seriousness...

this.
Furburt said:
Well, Unreal Tournament does it well. The guns are pretty alien.

As for my idea, a gun that shoots slime that makes enemies stick to things. If you aim another gun at it, like the electricity gun, you can shock/burn/melt them by spreading it through the slime.

But, when the slime is on them, they have a very small chance of shooting you and giving you a one hit kill, so you have to be VERY careful. So, devastating in the right hands, suicide in the wrong ones.

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Well In don't see why people complain about that simply because they are the most basic type of weapons.

I mean I actually prefer the classic weapon line-up instead of the shit you get in MW 2 where half the weapons of each class are useless and everyone uses like one or two.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I know what you mean, some games can have no variation.

Sometimes introducing something like that can be good and familiar, but we do need weapon variations.

macatombe

Mar 8, 2009
factualsquirrel said:
I don't mind, although I could do with that gun that shoots guns that shoot swords.

'twould be awesome.
It would be better if the gun was made out of bananas.

I think that weapon line ups should be like painkiller, only 5-6 guns but there all awesome.

Ganthrinor

Apr 15, 2009
I want a gun that shoots flaming balls of Naptha which burst upon impact, covering the area with more Naptha.

I like fire, and guns that shoot fire. More games with guns that shoot fire never give you enough fire ammo.

Sam G

Jul 14, 2009
You know, I was actually thinking about what the most original weapon in the world could be, and I came up with this:
It's a Katana with a Chainsaw blade on the back. Instead of a handle it has a Tonfa, the end of which is attached by a Nunchaku-chain to a Knuckleduster with a two triggers. When you pull the first trigger the knuckleduster shoots Bullets, and when you pull the second Lasers fly out of the end of the ChainTanaFa.
I call it "The Chimaera".

DreamKing

Aug 14, 2008
Custom Robo for the DS and Gamecube had some really cool weapons, like a gun that shot swords (well, sorta). Wait, it had two. The pods and bombs started to develop some color swaps, with a minor incease/decrease in a stat or two, and a different type of launch pattern. Maybe they did have a big variety of weapons. The melee attacks varied widely between the different robos were sometimes difficult to pull off, but it felt great when it connected, because it gave the player a few seconds to mercilessly pound the enemy with gun fire.

Jan 23, 2009
Counterstrike does a good job of varied weapons. Sure its pistols, shotguns, rifles, and smgs, but it differentiates them by changing the way the weapons feel when you fire.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I actually wouldn't mind if they get rid of the pistol class altogether, seeing as I rarely use them in games.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
Want something weird.. i remember a crosbow that used pants as ammo in the (old) game Ultima Online.

As for weapons lineup, if each gun has their own behavior, making them all usefull in a way or another even in the endgame, i got no problem with it. FEAR1 and 2 did it reasonably well.