The Clone Wars Absolutely Nails the Moment We’ve All Been Waiting For

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
In the final two episodes the clones fire an ABSURD amount of """lethal""" shots at our heroes and even if they hit, 'tis but a scratch and it doesn't even slow them down. If that's not insulting enough, stun shots are 1-hit KOs. Why won't the clones use those instead when chasing a couple of people? It would clearly be much more effective. Ugh, I guess children like pewpewpew.
I mean, that's the show. Main characters, even if they're regular clone troopers, just stand in hallways as droids fire at them and come out without a scratch.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Have Windu and Dooku finally engaged in battle because that's what I was waiting for.
Gonna be hard considering Anakin Sliced his head off around the time Ashkoka was reaching Madalore.

In the final two episodes the clones fire an ABSURD amount of """lethal""" shots at our heroes and even if they hit, 'tis but a scratch and it doesn't even slow them down. If that's not insulting enough, stun shots are 1-hit KOs. Why won't the clones use those instead when chasing a couple of people? It would clearly be much more effective. Ugh, I guess children like pewpewpew.
I was a little annoyed by the Ashoka not wanting to kill anyone, but is fine with throwing a big metal door at a number of clone troopers and dropping them down at least a 2 story drop. Those would normally count as "Lethal" injures, Ashoka. Kinda like Batman trashing half the city, but it's okay because he didn't try to kill anyone.

Then again, considering none of them were even attempting to abandon ship(due to the amazing decision to destroy all the escape pods...hope we don't need those in a couple hours), Ashoka using lethal force is largely meaningless at this point, as anyone left on that ship was going to die.

I also have to quibble with people calling this a kids show considering just how many people end up getting killed and dismembered over the course of it. Same with Rebels. Yeah, you don't normally see blood(Maul did get a guy's arm cut off in a sealing door) but there's a hell of a lot of people getting flat out killed, not to mention some pretty mature themes....like a War....of clones.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I also have to quibble with people calling this a kids show considering just how many people end up getting killed and dismembered over the course of it. Same with Rebels. Yeah, you don't normally see blood(Maul did get a guy's arm cut off in a sealing door) but there's a hell of a lot of people getting flat out killed, not to mention some pretty mature themes....like a War....of clones.
It's the same demographic the 2003 TMNT show targeted: 11-13 boys (I was one of them at the time, and by 2008 TCW was too childish). We loved carnage at that age. I've seen clips of Young Justice: Outsiders and that is truly a tween show that tries to attract as broad a demographic as possible by appearing "mature" but looking ridiculous with its dra-medy dialogue in the middle of fighting the bad guys.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Star Wars has always been a bit weird on the whole force morality thing. Like, Force Lightning is Big Evil Darkside points, but using the force to push somebody off a cliff is...fine, mostly.

I mostly think Ahsoka was trying to convince herself more than Rex. Half those troopers were still wearing those helmets of We Love and Respect You

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Star Wars has always been a bit weird on the whole force morality thing. Like, Force Lightning is Big Evil Darkside points, but using the force to push somebody off a cliff is...fine, mostly.

I mostly think Ahsoka was trying to convince herself more than Rex. Half those troopers were still wearing those helmets of We Love and Respect You
Not to mention the morality being able to mess with peoples minds to get them to do what you want. It's not mind control but it's still rather creepy.

It would explain how Palpy was able to keep everyone from realizing he was a Sith lord for years. He was just able to do it without handwaving.

Jedi Council "Maybe Palpatine is the Sith Lord behind the clone wars, after all, he stands to benefit the most from increasing the powers of the chancellor and militarizing the republic under his own command....but I have this strange feeling that Palpatine can't be a Sith Lord, because he's SUCH A NICE GUY"

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Seeing any animated series grow out of its ugly duckling phase is a beautiful thing, but man season 7 really (mostly) blew me away. I was still an actual child when the first seasons released, so nostalgia goggles combined with a child brain filtered the wooden animation and less than perfect voice acting from my memory. Barring the shit show that was the middle arc, season 7 is the best CW has ever looked. I guess they kind of "cheated" with mo-cap, but I'm not complaining.

I've always liked the concept of the Clone Wars. Its a ridiculous plan, but as Maul said, its also genius. Lure the Jedi and the Republic into a "war", allow them to learn to trust their troops bred with Jedi-killing DNA, even befriend them, and then when the Jedi have been weakened by endless fighting and their senses dulled to the dark side by the horrors of war, BOOM Order 66.

I mean obviously its something that had to be "interpreted" by dozens of authors in the EU and eventually CW. I doubt George thought about any of this and was more concerned with turning a single line of dialogue into three movies.

Anyway, the last two episodes were easily the best depiction we've had of Order 66. I do think though that they could have put more effort into showing the clones resisting the order, but I guess we had Rex for that. I was a little shocked that both Ahsoka and Rex seemingly killed a few clones in Episode 11, I thought that choice would have had more impact on them.

I also liked the pairing of Ahsoka and Maul in this arc. They're so similar in so many ways. Characters whose first appearances were jarring and ridiculed are now fan favorites. A true testament to the quality of the series.

Man I'll miss this show. Changed me from absolutely hating the idea of Anakin having a padawan to being hyped as hell for Ahsoka in The Mandalorian.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I'm still conflicted about Maul's resurgence. I always loved the character and In Legends they tried to bring him back multiple times, so from a fan and a creator perspective it was absolutely unsurprising that they gave Maul a second shot. It undeniably worked wonders for Maul's character, fleshing him out in a very interesting character and ending his arc very nicely at Tatoine.

And yet it also seems undeniably that Maul's return was inherently cynical. He was a popular and very marketable character, and that's why he returned. But most of all I think the clone wars was a conflict interesting enough to stand on its own and that it did not need a third faction to rise up and fight for dominance. Dooku and the Separatists where good enough of an enemy threat. If anything I find Maul's newfound prominence to have came at Dooku's expense. The Clone wars is a very natural time to shine for a villain who was absolutely shafted in the sequel trilogy but now Dooku has to fight Maul for screentime and relevance. It feels as if the creator didn't think Dooku had what it takes to be an antagonist in his own right.

Its also just a little but silly that Maul could have brought down Palps entire plan by just shouting from the rooftops that the chancellor is a Sith. Sure, he'd be dismissed as a crazy hobo at first but it might have eventually paid off.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Its also just a little but silly that Maul could have brought down Palps entire plan by just shouting from the rooftops that the chancellor is a Sith. Sure, he'd be dismissed as a crazy hobo at first but it might have eventually paid off.
Yeah, he doesn't even bother to tell Ashoka during their confrontation on Mandalore, when she might have believed him. It would have been too late, since the Jedi were about to find out anyway for themselves(when Palpy all but told Anakin at the Opera House to bait them).

Then again, the Jedi for some reason never figured it out on their own either, despite being in the same room with him multiple times.

What gets me is that Grevious has Palpy Captive in ROTS and then later talks to him as Sidious and either doesn't notice the two are the same or just doesn't care. It's like the superman thing. "OH, he has a hood partially covering his face. He can't possibly be the same guy I was standing right next to just days ago".

Last edited:

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Then again, the Jedi for some reason never figured it out on their own either, despite being in the same room with him mutiple times.
The old EU's reason for that was that the generations of Sith had steadily "polluted" the Force in the galaxy with minor conflicts and rituals. This had the result of slowly clouding the Jedi's sensitivity towards the dark side. Have you ever had an experience wherein a background noise you were filtering out stopped, and suddenly you realize how much more quiet it is? Like an airconditioner? It's kind of like that. The Sith slowly stirred up this additional noise in the Force that the Jedi just automatically filter out, and thereby created a blind spot to hide in.

I don't know how much of that explanation survived Disney, but it is actually alluded to twice in Episode 2. First time: the meeting between the Jedi Council and Palpatine after the assassination attempt on Amidala.

Palpatine: Master Yoda, do you really think it will come to war?
Yoda: Hmmm. The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is.

Think about it. Palpatine is in the final phases of launching this war that he'll use to dismantle democracy and slay the Jedi. He is taunting Yoda to his face in this scene. And getting away with it.

Later, in the Jedi Council chambers after Obi-Wan reports the existence of the clone army.

Yoda: Blind we are, if creation of this clone army we could not see.
Mace Windu: I think it is time we inform the senate that our ability to use the force has diminished.
Yoda: Only the Dark Lord of the Sith knows of our weakness. If informed the senate is, multiply our adversaries will.

States right out that the Council knows that their cognition is impaired, they don't know what to do about it, that they know the Sith Lord must know, and they're trying to keep a lid on it to maintain their myth of infallibility.

The prequels don't get as much credit as they deserve. They're really composed of two plots: the first is a classic Greek tragedy (in a Shakespearean mold) of the fall of a hero through hubris. The second is a political thriller of post 9/11 themes (which is actually pretty damn impressive when you consider it started before 9/11) wherein an evil mastermind uses proxy wars and terrorism to destroy liberties and achieve totalitarian government. The first plot line was bungled so badly that nobody gives the second plot line the credit its due: it was actually fairly well done (not masterfully, but fairly well), and is the most interesting big concept that the movie series ever tried to handle. Unfortunately, I think fan pushback on how it was presented in the first movie led to it being under represented in subsequent movies, which put even more focus on the botched heroic tragedy. If I give the Clone Wars show credit for 1 thing, is that it brings back emphasis on that plot line.

Burnhardt

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 13, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
I enjoyed it but if I'm being 100% honest also felt it came years too late, as thanks to Rebels, we already knew Ahsoka, Rex, and Maul survived Order 66 and well into the Age of the Empire.

As such there was absolutely zero stakes involved for those characters.

(and if you believe the fan theory, Rex shows up in ROTJ as part of the Endor Strike team).
Not really a fan theory, more something Dave Filoni came up with. Sabines closing narration at the end of Rebels confirmed Rex (and Hera) fought in the battle of Endor.

Yoshi

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Have you tried Rebels? If not, it's worth a shot and it's follow on to Clone Wars. A couple characters, such as Capt. Rex and Ahsoka Tano come back as main characters. The first season is more or less set on the same planet and is arguably the weakest.

Not to mention we finally get to see the Maul storyline resolved in kind of an awesome way.
i've watched a few clips of Rebels on youtube. it looks stupid. i hate that new jedi person.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Not really a fan theory, more something Dave Filoni came up with. Sabines closing narration at the end of Rebels confirmed Rex (and Hera) fought in the battle of Endor.
I don't remember that, though I know it was confirmed that the ghost was at Scariff, since it shows up in Rogue one and there's a very brief PA callout for "General Syndulla"

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Ezra doesn't strike me as too bad. Just your typical scruffy street kid turned hero like Aladdin. Or that's what I gathered at least. Though I must say he's absolutely not the nemesis I'd give to Thrawn.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
He's a pretty standard tween kid's show protagonist.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Yeah, on the other hand, I've no idea what the appeal to Ahsoka is at all, but they're crowding her in to every show and I guess making one focusing on her so I guess I'm a minority opinion.