The Console Versions of Skyrim and Fallout 4 Now Have a Maximum Active Mod Cap

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
The Console Versions of Skyrim and Fallout 4 Now Have a Maximum Active Mod Cap

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1382/1382476.jpgThe newest update to the console versions of Fallout 4 and Skyrim limits the number of mods you can have active at once.

Bethesda brought mods to consoles with Fallout 4 and Skyrim, but there have been ups and downs along the way. Mods for Skyrim: Special Edition are a couple of months later [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168679-Skyrim-Special-Edition-Mod-Limitations-on-Console]). Now, Bethesda says there are some additional limitations on mods in the console version of those games.

In the latest update to Fallout 4 and Skyrim: Special Edition, a limit has been added on how many active mods you can have. We mentioned the size limitation per mod above, and now Xbox One players are limited to 150 active mods, and PS4 players are only allowed 100 active mods. You will be able to have more mods installed, but you'll have to keep the active number at or below these caps.

The good news is that these limits may not be permanent. In this post [https://bethesda.net/community/topic/8321/fallout-4-mod-support-xbox-one/7] on the Bethesda.net forums, a community administrator says that the cap "is a starting point, and it may be adjusted."

The limits don't sound terribly onerous, but when you start tossing in lots of smaller mods, you'd be surprised how quickly you can reach the cap. Hopefully, Bethesda will be able to ease this number upwards on both consoles.

[gallery=6934]

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
ffronw said:
The limits don't sound terribly onerous, but when you start tossing in lots of smaller mods, you'd be surprised how quickly you can reach the cap.
Modding on console is also limited simply by the lack of ways to organise, clean, and deal with issues be they conflicts or corruptions. It may not be the reason the cap exists, but allowing total freedom doesn't really benefit anyone - other than those who really want to cause issues or flat out break their save/s.

So far modding Fallout 4 on Xbox has been great, and has led to perhaps my most enjoyable Bethesda experience since Morrowind, which funnily enough also happened to be the last time I modded a Bethesda game (though I played most of it vanilla, to be fair). I'm using 77 at the moment, and the 150 limit's meaningless given I have so little filesize left to use - that's the cap that desperately needs to increase.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
I don't get why there's even a mod amount cap in the first place. Total mod size I get, but amount of mods? Why?

loa

Jan 28, 2012
I don't see the practical use.
Obviously some mods are more taxing than others so hardcoding a limit doesn't make much sense.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Arnoxthe1 said:
I don't get why there's even a mod amount cap in the first place. Total mod size I get, but amount of mods? Why?
Im guessing theres some stability concerns that turned up during testing.

ffronw said:
The newest update to the console versions of Fallout 4 and Skyrim limits the number of mods you can have active at once.

Hey cheif, you done goofed.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Paragon Fury said:
Got a bit of a formatting error there friend.
gigastar said:
ffronw said:
The newest update to the console versions of Fallout 4 and Skyrim limits the number of mods you can have active at once.

Hey cheif, you done goofed.

Pretty typical. Thanks for the heads up.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Arnoxthe1 said:
Plugins. Gamebryo and by extension the Creation Engine use plugins to add content to their games. The plugins have an upper limit of a few hundred in Creation and 130-50 in Gamebryo. Beyond that, and the games become too unstable to launch properly and crash.

saltyanon

Sep 18, 2013
Just some background, the max number of ESPs/ESMs you can load in one session is 255. This is why "mod merging" is a thing. Yes I've reached that cap.

The cap is likely for stability. Besides, I don't think consoles have the capability to merge mods (which is something you do through TESEdit).

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Arnoxthe1 said:
Because mods are already kind of a shit show on the PC versions so expecting the consoles the have the same capacity to carry mods is naive.

Even the PC Versions just straight up break with enough mods on them. Then you have to figure out which mods conflict, etc, etc.

Matthew Lynch

Jun 26, 2010
I can see why they did this...but I think the cap is pointless in addition to the memory cap too. I reached my memory cap on fallout 4, using just one new world mod called maxwells world and a cluster of smaller mods like the cheat console and armor and weapon mods and barely got past 20 mods.

A mod cap is totally unnecessary in my opinion as I doubt, thanks to things on the console mode like mod size limits, a lack of script extender which makes it from difficult to impossible for impressive 'falskaar' type mods to be put onto console as well as, in the case of PS4 not allowing custom made items too (last I heard PS4 modders have to use only item assets that come ingame so no special weapons like the SCAR rifle or the RCW laser SMG) means that its so incredibly hard to reach even 30, let alone 100.

If anyones even gotten close to these mod caps, reply as I am interested to know if it can be done.

AzrealMaximillion said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Because mods are already kind of a shit show on the PC versions so expecting the consoles the have the same capacity to carry mods is naive.

Even the PC Versions just straight up break with enough mods on them. Then you have to figure out which mods conflict, etc, etc.
agreed...not to mention if you are not careful, mods can break quests as I found out recently with the 'sanctuary' quest.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
That's a shame. Everyone should be able to experience "Mod it til it breaks" at least once in their lives...