The Crack Addiction that is World of Warcraft

GottaLoveIt

Jan 16, 2010
I'm a little new to the escapist, stumbled upon a Yahtzee review on youtube, watched a few more and got horribly addicted, Finally seeking the source of these videos I found The escapist, and I feel like a new found sense of home. I love gaming, it's so fun it's almost retarded. but that little blurb aside, you're probably wondering why the hell I decided to bring up WoW.

well, In the last 10 years of my life, I was Heavily addicted to playing computer games, titles such as Counter-strike Source, Diablo II, and ofcourse the beast, of beasts..World of warcraft, world of warcraft eating up 4 years of my Life, and the best years i may add, 16-20, after such a long time playing this game I decided to quit gaming all together and start going to the gym and eating healthier, because I had turned into quite the big lad, needless to say, doing this seemed to be what I needed, I lost 100 pounds as of January 1st and I'm celebrating by looking back on the time I wasted on this game!

So, Who's all played? still playing? Any horror//Success stories? anyone hold a record on that game? or anything worth mentioning?

and lord help me if i posted this in the wrong spot or theres a faux-paux about posting stuff about Warcrack..

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
I quit WoW because I got bored.

Leveling was too slow and Warlock is just Voidwalker, DoTs chain cast shadow bolt.

Repeat that 100 times and level up, repeat 80 times.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
Never played, but good to hear you're doing well without it. I certainly think I am.

GottaLoveIt

Jan 16, 2010
Yeah i remember trying to level up a warlock, depending on what spec you went, you could KINDA have some fun, specially if you had a dedicated healer to just AoE pull everything..but seriously, void tank rinse and repeat, borrring

try leveling a Priest, and a paladin for your guild..staying holy (like an idiot) from 1-60 at the time, 1-70 ofcourse for the paladin....good times

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
You didn't have to stop gaming all together. Changing one extreme for another isn't always the best solution.

And I played WoW. I leveled up to max, and stopped playing.

Had fun.

GottaLoveIt

Jan 16, 2010
I know i diddnt have to quit gaming all together, and in a sense I havent, my family owns a wii, i used to own a xbox 360, but sold it for cash because even though i'm working 2 jobs I need money for school, and becoming a nurse is far more important to me than owning a xbox360 that i never played.

so i play guitar hero. i just recently purchased Majoras mask and OoT on the wii, and I beat twilight princess recently too, also play alot of SSBB, and i could really go on..but if you notice, these games are all games with clear endings, or with SSBB its a game I get bored with quite easily. I just pick and choose what I play because i also have a ridiculously addictive personality aswell

Baron Khaine

Jun 24, 2009
You know what I hate? People who say they quit WoW and make that out to be a big thing.

Its a fucking game.

I'm playing it now, and enjoying it, but if it gets unenjoyable like it did last time, which i'm pretty sure it will at some point, i'll stop playing. Its as simple as that.

Once again, game it fucking is.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
GottaLoveIt said:
I'm a little new to the escapist, stumbled upon a Yahtzee review on youtube, watched a few more and got horribly addicted, Finally seeking the source of these videos I found The escapist, and I feel like a new found sense of home. I love gaming, it's so fun it's almost retarded. but that little blurb aside, you're probably wondering why the hell I decided to bring up WoW.

well, In the last 10 years of my life, I was Heavily addicted to playing computer games, titles such as Counter-strike Source, Diablo II, and ofcourse the beast, of beasts..World of warcraft, world of warcraft eating up 4 years of my Life, and the best years i may add, 16-20, after such a long time playing this game I decided to quit gaming all together and start going to the gym and eating healthier, because I had turned into quite the big lad, needless to say, doing this seemed to be what I needed, I lost 100 pounds as of January 1st and I'm celebrating by looking back on the time I wasted on this game!

So, Who's all played? still playing? Any horror//Success stories? anyone hold a record on that game? or anything worth mentioning?

and lord help me if i posted this in the wrong spot or theres a faux-paux about posting stuff about Warcrack..
Well It ate up 3 years of my life, then I quit and I hade terrible acne and my social life sucked, so I went to the gym and stopped playing mainly because it got boring and I wanted a life unlike my brother who is still addicted and has so much ance you would think he is a peperoni Pizza. Anyways good to hear your doing good.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Never played WoW. I'm easily bored, so I doubt I would get addicted for longer than a month. Also, MMORPGs seem very tedious to me.

Frankydee

Mar 25, 2009
I played it for maybe a week, didn't find it particularly engaging.

[sub]It was ok I guess.[/sub]

GottaLoveIt

Jan 16, 2010
Baron Khaine said:
You know what I hate? People who say they quit WoW and make that out to be a big thing.

Its a fucking game.

I'm playing it now, and enjoying it, but if it gets unenjoyable like it did last time, which i'm pretty sure it will at some point, i'll stop playing. Its as simple as that.

the problem is, the game is impossible to beat, you can say you will quit, but will you? why would you, are you 80 yet? are you decked in all epics now? if you are, are they Top of the line? you could probably get a better weapon..got the best weapon? the next patch they are releasing in a week is going to have a staff that is double what your weapon can do, then some other fun mods.

dont like PvM? got glad yet? have you rerolled to see if you prefer healing to DPS? tanking to healing, DPS and so on?

you can say that you will quit, but again I ask, will you?

and P.S, if in those 10 years, I fucked my life up completely, and a large amount of blame can be piled on the fact that I would have much rather played WoW or CSS or D2, rather than go out and make something of myself...well, then it becomes more than a game..doesn't it?

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Baron Khaine said:

Its a fucking game.

Calm down, Some people get super addicted like I was and found that it was hard to stop playing. It is an addicting game, Hell I loved it, Besides he isn't saying quit WoW. He is just saying what happend to him and why he quit.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I did not become addicted to WoW and I think that people who do don't try to do other things. I quit WoW because I got bored of it after I hit level80 and most the people I talked to were moving to different servers.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
GottaLoveIt said:
well, In the last 10 years of my life, I was Heavily addicted to playing computer games, titles such as Counter-strike Source, Diablo II, and ofcourse the beast, of beasts..World of warcraft, world of warcraft eating up 4 years of my Life, and the best years i may add, 16-20, after such a long time playing this game I decided to quit gaming all together and start going to the gym and eating healthier, because I had turned into quite the big lad, needless to say, doing this seemed to be what I needed, I lost 100 pounds as of January 1st and I'm celebrating by looking back on the time I wasted on this game.
Though I am glad that you turned your life around, I play WoW and take offense to you calling it "crack". It is not the games fault that you got "addicted", as you say. No. It is your fault. You only have yourself to blame for "wasting" those years. You are the reason that you didn't hang out with friends, or work out, or whatever you wanted to do.

I hate people who blame games for their lack of self-control. It is your fault that you have no sense of moderation, not the game's.

YoUnG205

Ugh!...
Oct 13, 2009
I have played the 10 day free trial... and I did not like WoW as it is the same as all the other mmorpg's not to mention the others do not cost like £10 a month.

Naughty MrPeeps

Jul 31, 2009
enzilewulf said:
Baron Khaine said:

Its a fucking game.

Calm down, Some people get super addicted like I was and found that it was hard to stop playing. It is an addicting game, Hell I loved it, Besides he isn't saying quit WoW. He is just saying what happend to him and why he quit.
Haha, that guy had a bit of the "BROOKLYN RAGE!!!" going on there...

GottaLoveIt

Jan 16, 2010
Gxas said:
GottaLoveIt said:
well, In the last 10 years of my life, I was Heavily addicted to playing computer games, titles such as Counter-strike Source, Diablo II, and ofcourse the beast, of beasts..World of warcraft, world of warcraft eating up 4 years of my Life, and the best years i may add, 16-20, after such a long time playing this game I decided to quit gaming all together and start going to the gym and eating healthier, because I had turned into quite the big lad, needless to say, doing this seemed to be what I needed, I lost 100 pounds as of January 1st and I'm celebrating by looking back on the time I wasted on this game.
Though I am glad that you turned your life around, I play WoW and take offense to you calling it "crack". It is not the games fault that you got "addicted", as you say. No. It is your fault. You only have yourself to blame for "wasting" those years. You are the reason that you didn't hang out with friends, or work out, or whatever you wanted to do.

I hate people who blame games for their lack of self-control. It is your fault that you have no sense of moderation, not the game's.
I accept the fact that it was largely my fault. I have a lot of what MMORPG makers want.

1) a Job where i make enough money to throw at some luxuries
2) a VERY addictive personality
3) a deep love affair with Magic and War and goblins and all that jazz
4) a deep love of conquering extremely challenging bosses and enemies
5) Interacting with other people who have the same love and ambitions that i do

so yes, it was and is largely my fault that I "wasted" my time, and I am not damning the game by any means, if you play it, that's awesome I hope it's fun. but from a personal stand point the game is crack, because it embodies what I love about gaming, and what i find so addictive. and at the end of the day, spending more time on that game than sleeping, or going to work or even going outside. Isnt that ..well, bad? lol