The Crack Addiction that is World of Warcraft

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
I was going to play it, but my internet was slow at a time and the start up was goig to take a while so I canceled it and threw away the disk.

I'm happy with Sins of a Solar Empire, Rome Total war, and I just today got hte oblivion/bioshock bundle and Oblivion kicks a good amount of ass.

The Infinite

Mar 30, 2009
Eh I enjoy WoW though after a certain point I kind of just stop, it becomes to much of a grind, usually at around level 60. But I do have to say it's rather enjoyable, especially if you have some IRL friends playing alongside you as well.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
enzilewulf said:
Well It ate up 3 years of my life, then I quit and I hade terrible acne and my social life sucked, so I went to the gym and stopped playing mainly because it got boring and I wanted a life unlike my brother who is still addicted and has so much ance you would think he is a peperoni Pizza. Anyways good to hear your doing good.
I don't think you can blame acne on playing WoW.

That's bad hygene and bad diet.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
I stopped playing WoW because for all the money I had to pay it wasn't worth it. I still had a hell of alot of fun playing it though.

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
I have an addictive personality so i would never go anywhere near WoW. The call of duty series has already taken away most of my social life, which used to be substantial and now the people i used to hang around with are embarrassed to see me. so yeh WoW would probably kill me

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
GottaLoveIt said:
I'm a little new to the escapist, stumbled upon a Yahtzee review on youtube, watched a few more and got horribly addicted, Finally seeking the source of these videos I found The escapist, and I feel like a new found sense of home. I love gaming, it's so fun it's almost retarded. but that little blurb aside, you're probably wondering why the hell I decided to bring up WoW.

well, In the last 10 years of my life, I was Heavily addicted to playing computer games, titles such as Counter-strike Source, Diablo II, and ofcourse the beast, of beasts..World of warcraft, world of warcraft eating up 4 years of my Life, and the best years i may add, 16-20, after such a long time playing this game I decided to quit gaming all together and start going to the gym and eating healthier, because I had turned into quite the big lad, needless to say, doing this seemed to be what I needed, I lost 100 pounds as of January 1st and I'm celebrating by looking back on the time I wasted on this game!

So, Who's all played? still playing? Any horror//Success stories? anyone hold a record on that game? or anything worth mentioning?

and lord help me if i posted this in the wrong spot or theres a faux-paux about posting stuff about Warcrack..
You know what man, good for you. I get where you are coming from and most people who are getting real offended by you comparing WoW to Crack probably share a few things in common with yourself. I played WoW for awhile... i made some poor decisions but i never got that bad. I suppose it is very fortunate for myself that while im easily addicted im also easily bored.

At the end of the day sometimes you have to just look at yourself and what you are doing and ask "Where is this getting me?"

I love gaming, i'll never stop being a gamer, or a nerd, or whatever anyone wants to call me. However, i wont let it controll or dictate what i am doing, and im guessing you are somewhat the same.

So good for you, congratulations on losing all that weight im sure it feels great and you should be proud of that.

Rand-m

Feb 8, 2009
I actually tried WoW once.... Hated it. Thought it was a very bad game, and vowed to never play it again.

After trying again 3 months later and hating it even more, I gave my copy of the game to my cousin.

Now she's addicted, and I feel like a bad person.

skcseth

May 25, 2009
Well, congratulations good sir. And I'm assuming sir here.
Anyway, the only time I ever played WoW was during that free trial promotion like two years ago. Never really saw the appeal nor the addictive side of it. I did play for four hours straight one Saturday morning though.. Those cartoons just aren't what they used to be. [/sad face]

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
Firstly I want to say congratulations for not stopping yourself from needlessly telling the world you have left a game, trust me if i had a pound for everyone of these i found i'd have like... £10.

Secondaly I want to say thanks for comparing the game i have put quite a lot of into to crack, It seams that playing wow and having a social life seem to be impossible.. yet i somehow manage it.

Thirdly, nice work seriously. I mean i take breaks every year or so, these can be like 4 weeks too two months long but i don't think i would be able to quit untill i get my A2s breating down my neck. and even then i reackon i would come back after the exams.

Finaly, for the flame, woo thats an other noob out of the game.

So check list, sarcsum Check, postive attiditude towards Mt poster Check, Flame Check.

And there we go folks, one generic responce to a generic i left wow discussion.

Edit: Your spot problem isn't down to the game, washing and eating better helps. e.g. I shower every morning and have a semi decent diet and i have spots (but i also have long hair which doesn't help ((I am male b4 u ask)))

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I play, I still enjoy it.

I'm not addicted, though I am one of the so called hardcore raiders of my guild.
I just play my best when I am online and sod the rest of the time. Thats mine to do what I will with it thankyou.

Fun little hobby, people with so called 'addictions' tend to be the worst of the pack.
With no boundries set they can become dangerously driven and temperamental and I don't endorse that sort of behaviour, in game or out of.
Infact if we notice that in one of our guildies we politely request they go out and do somthing else. Mental health is a serious problem sometimes when you're 'trapped inside' alot of the day.

The only dependability in WoW revovles around:
A) The social aspects of needing to please and be around those you've created bonds with.
B) Better-ing your 'Avatar'

Those are compulsions and not addictions as a famous lecturer once said and it is up to you to manage them responsibly, alongside your friends if possible.

Yeah our guild is one funny little support group...but we do well for it.

OT---
Now jeez whats with the influx of WoW topics.
Either play it or don't. Whining can be done to those who have the time for it. Choices people, it's whats for breakfast.

Archammer

Nov 25, 2009
I played wow for a year in burning crusade, and for 3 months on wrath but recently events have caused me to put gaming on hold
as for and stories ive had from it; ive made a lot of friends and had a lot of fun, and where some people think hanging out with your friends is better than wow, i found out after a year of playing it that a lot of my friends had changed for the worst and it helped me find better friends throughout highschool.

wow is only as addictive as u make it, i know a lot of people who tried it and just quit because it was boring or tried to get into it and couldnt. i also know people who, before even picking it up, were addicted. it's all personality

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I play it on and off all the time. It's a good thing to have in the dry periods where there are virtually no new games out there. I've never really become that addicted to it, no more than any other game anyway.

I probably won't pick it up again until Cataclysm though. I'm quite keen to see what the new Azeroth looks like.

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
I play wow a fair bit, but every now and then I'll take a fairly long break from it (1-2 months usually), cancel my sub, and play other games I'm interested in. I do keep going back though. The new Dungeon Finder tool is fairly awesome as well, makes sorting out heroics and such MUCH less of a pain in the ass.

I'll probably take another break shortly before Cataclysm arrives and head back when it hits.

Garzo

Nov 26, 2008
I played it for ages and then gave up on it shortly after the last expansion purely because I was sick of it. Sure things were a bit more varied, but at the same time I still kept finding the same thing; this is just the same old chore in different packaging. End result was I gave up and never looked back, except on one brief occasion when I paid for one month and played for about an hour before buggering off back to Left 4 Dead 2. Shorter, to the point, more zombies. That's me happy.

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
Chipperz said:
I did this by finally realising that I'd been playing for too long, sometimes even up to an hour a day.
Whoa whoa whoa, hold the phone. I had to read this sentence 3 times to make sure I was taking it in right. An hour a day of gaming is bad now? I'd think that's a pretty healthy amount of time.

It's those people I see on COD:MW2 who play the game the ENTIRE DAY from waking up to going back to sleep that worry me. And I assume some people in mummorpuggers do the same thing.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
I used to play that online game Runscape about 2 years ago. i quit after 3 years because it just seemed that Jagex were catering to brand new OR extremely experienced players with nothing for mid level players like i was.

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
Not a fan of RPG's, so I haven't gone near WoW. Oh wait, tell a lie, I played for an hour over my friends, kept me interested for about 20 minutes. Closed that down to play Team Fortress 2.