The Creator of DOOM/Quake announced a new FPS, Blackroom

Paradine

Apr 2, 2016
Country
United Kingdom
B-Cell said:
Ezekiel said:
Don't care. First-person shooters are so played out. I wouldn't care if we never got another one. Edit: I forgot about HL3. After HL3 releases, the genre can stay dormant.
third person action games with cover system are more played out.
The threads you make are far more played out...my friend.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Ellux said:
B-Cell said:
Ezekiel said:
Don't care. First-person shooters are so played out. I wouldn't care if we never got another one. Edit: I forgot about HL3. After HL3 releases, the genre can stay dormant.
but this is just a news thread of announcement of game by a legend. romero describe it as most innovative game we have not seen before. we need more old school fast paced shooter in a market flooded with COD clones.

btw are you from GT?

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Gundam GP01 said:
B-Cell said:
Ellux said:
B-Cell said:
Ezekiel said:
but this is just a news thread of announcement of game by a legend. romero describe it as most innovative game we have not seen before. we need more old school fast paced shooter in a market flooded with COD clones.

btw are you from GT?
He said the same thing about Daikatana, so you'll have to excuse me if I refuse to take his word at face value with no additional evidence to back it up.
Daikatana is still better than most of dumbed down CODized shooters.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
B-Cell said:
Gundam GP01 said:
B-Cell said:
Ellux said:
B-Cell said:
Ezekiel said:

btw are you from GT?
He said the same thing about Daikatana, so you'll have to excuse me if I refuse to take his word at face value with no additional evidence to back it up.
Oh Jesus, just stop.
Don't compare an obvious old sh*tty game with a successful Videogame series, which I actually loved its first games. My favourite is COD 2. Very game good game.

Paradine

Apr 2, 2016
Country
United Kingdom
B-Cell said:
Ellux said:
B-Cell said:
Ezekiel said:

btw are you from GT?
Remember when you had a wet dream for Alekhine's gun, treating it like it was the second coming of Jesus?...( how'd that turn out eh?)
You keep making these threads trying to put over these games that are far from being in anyway finished, and bringing up othe games and banging on how they suck, and they are the worst game you have ever played when it has nothing to do with the price of fish....

And yes I was on Gt for many years.

OT I feel Romero has a lot to prove, though I would take anything he says with a pinch of salt.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Well, just to update the thread - Blackroom now has $97,481 out of $700,000, after a little over a day.

For reference...

Battletech, a turn based strategy game based on a niche board game, made $709,000 dollars on its first day ($250,000 of that in the first 53 minutes).

Kingdom Come: Deliverance, a medieval open world game made by Warhorse Studios, roughly $270,000 on its first day.

Shenmue 3, $818,000 on its first day.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, a project by Koji Igarashi, of Castlevania fame (I'm waiting with glee on this one), $998,000 first day.

Torment: Tides of Numenera, $1,488,000, first day.

I guess being the father of Doom doesn't get you cash like it used to.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
B-Cell said:
It's cool if you like the game, my friiiiieeeeeeennnnnnd. Daiktana currently hasn't been rated very well, and even back then it wasn't praised all that well. CoD is a successful franchise. You don't see Daikatana 2, 3, Ghosts, Modern Warfare, or anything like that. CoD is successful because it does what it does well. It's all very samey, but it does it fine. Nobody is ripping off Daikatana either.

It's fine to like something better than a series, but let's not discount a series' success like that

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
B-Cell said:
erttheking said:
He's going to make us his *****? You mean he's going to release another game that absolutely no one liked? Seriously, even if you're a fan of him, why are you referring to daikatana when you're trying to show him in a positive light?
Its just a one bad game. romero is one of the greatest mind in gaming industry as he created level design of Doom and Quake. Plus its PC exclusive FPS not a console shooter.

I for one very pumped for this game. sadly 2018 is far away
DOOM and Quake are the result of Romero being firmly informed by Carmack that his ideas were crap and they should use his instead. Romero's original pitches for DOOM and Quake are nothing like what we got.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Ellux said:
B-Cell said:
Ellux said:
B-Cell said:
Ezekiel said:

btw are you from GT?
Remember when you had a wet dream for Alekhine's gun, treating it like it was the second coming of Jesus?...( how'd that turn out eh?)
You keep making these threads trying to put over these games that are far from being in anyway finished, and bringing up othe games and banging on how they suck, and they are the worst game you have ever played when it has nothing to do with the price of fish....

OT I feel Romero has a lot to prove, though I would take anything he says with a pinch of salt.
My friend, i never claim alekhine gun like that. was just expecting it to be successor of death to spies.

this game however is bieng made by doom creator. will be PC exclusive. old school. chances for this game to be bad are very low. especially in a times when genre is dominate by consolized dumbed down shooters.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
B-Cell said:
Ellux said:
B-Cell said:
Ellux said:
B-Cell said:
Ezekiel said:

btw are you from GT?

My friend, i never claim alekhine gun like that. was just expecting it to be successor of death to spies.

this game however is bieng made by doom creator. will be PC exclusive. old school.

chances for this game to be bad are very low. especially in a times when genre is dominate by consolized dumbed down shooters.
If previous Kickstarter metrics are anything to go by, chances for this game to be made are pretty low, let alone being made badly.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I'm interested to see how this turns out, if only to find out whether Romero and Carmack can deliver something worthwhile after 10 years each of having done nothing notable.

Also, Daikatana is a colossal turd, but it wasn't lacking in ambition on a conceptual level. I've also heard Romero has matured a lot since his Ion Storm days. So, maybe this has a chance.

I'll be observing from a nice safe distance though.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Okay folks, I think we've filled the "Romero's *****" joke quota for the thread. I think he's flagellated himself enough over it by now.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100748-John-Romero-Apologizes-for-Trying-to-Make-You-His-*****

Daikatana was still shit, though.

erttheking said:
Please name a good game made by him in the last ten years.
While it's not a game, he did release a pretty good remake of E1M8 for DOOM a few months ago:
While a bit on the labyrinthine and punishing side, I thought it's a good fit for the game's level design. It's certainly better than the original "here's a fuckton of ammo, now go fight two Barons in a pentagram room" level. Of course that's no guarantee this new game will be any good, but there you go.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
B-Cell said:
Romero describing the game as "innovative" and using other buzzwords doesn't mean anything. Not without gameplay footage.

Do you know why I'm skeptical of this game, more than anything else? It's because every Kickstarter I've seen that's failed to show gameplay footage at the Kickstarter's outset has failed. And of what HAS been described, it's been done before. Environments counting for different time periods? It's been done well in TimeSplitters, and while not in the scope of my personal experience, done poorly in Daikatana. And while plot can make up for shoddy gameplay, what's been described of the plot is so far a mishmash of "Star Trek holodeck episode," and Westworld.

And again, as I've asked before, who's actually copying CoD nowadays? CoD isn't even copying itself, at least as far as setting goes. Replacing "CoD clones" with "Doom clones" isn't an inherently superior (or worse) situation.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Me (*reads the title*): Is it who I think it is?

*checks to see if it is the maker of Daikatana*

♫ Hello darkness, my old friend... ♫

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
Ezekiel said:
Compared to FPS? Ahahahah, no. Solid third-person shooters are far rarer because it's a lot harder to do than simply placing a gun in the hand of a disembodied arm, which has been done to death. Third-person view is in many ways more functional.
3D games are harder to do than 2D games, doesn't mean that Ride to Hell: Retribution is better or more original than Rayman Origins.

A third-person view works for some games and doesn't work for others. Personally I think Dead Space would have been a lot better as an FPS as having a separate avatar in the game world kinda distanced me from the experience.

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
That video was legit one of the worst sales pitches I've ever seen. The trailer bit was God awful and Romero's script sounded like it was written by a room full of executives.

B-Cell said:
Romero said this is the most innovative game that we never seen before
You mean the guy trying to sell you a product is telling you the product is good? Well it must be true then.

All snark and cynicism aside I am somewhat interested to see how this plays out. Not really because of the game itself, more because of Romero's history.