The Culling devs responds to the aanouncement backlast "the monetization is here to stay"

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

TL;DR
Yeah we are focused on monetary gain and monetary gain only.

I mean I know I'll never touch this game, but just the fact that these guys are trying to charge you money per match and how adamant and arrogant they seem to be pisses me off

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I mean...you can have whatever monetary system you want in your game Culling guy but it won't do you any good if no one will pay for it because it is dumber than hell...

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Ah yes. the old "Sorry, not sorry, now money" trick. It's a bold strategy, let's see how it pays off.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Honestly I think they should be just ignored so they'll fade into obscurity. At this point this is either a publicity stunt or someone so dumb that it's sad to poke fun at them after a certain point.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I mean, I can sympathize with the devs to an extent. When you're looking at the spreadsheets and seeing studio shutdown in the future, it's natural to push for a Hail Mary, and if that's the motivation, I wouldn't call it greedy, merely desperate.

Regardless, like most Hail Marys it isn't going to work.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I don't even remember hearing about this game the first time it was out. Or maybe I did and almost immediately forgot about it, either because it didn't sound interesting or drowned in a sea of competition. *checks wikipedia* So it came out 4 years ago(which is pretty recent as far as games go) and apparently got it's lunch eaten almost immediately by PUBG and Fortnite....so yeah.

Which probably doesn't bode well for it's comeback tour.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
The game itself aside, the idea of players paying money for each go at the game is nothing new. In fact, it is probably one of the oldest payment models for video games and it was the standard during the heyday of Arcades. If you're 30+ chances are good that you remember putting coins into an arcade cabinet to play a game at some point in your childhood.

The whole idea of either paying per match or essentially subscribing for a set period of unlimited free matches is actually kind of smart, especially if there's no other monetization (and in this case I remain skeptical of the upfront payment, even if it is small) going on. As a contrast, a lot of "F2P" games will sooner or later burn you out on the grind and many full price games ends up in $100 range with DLC/season pass for all content. In comparison, a month of intense The Culling playing in which you get a subscription will set you back half an AAA-game and someone who just wants to pull out a few games to try it can get enough matches in to make up their mind for $10 and can decide after that if they want to put in more money. At the end of the day, you are not really paying more then you'd do for a subscription MMO and very few people balk at WoW charging $15 USD a month.
But what gives it the edge over other battle royales out there? Even my battle pass for Apex wasn't that price gouging for three months worth of unlockables and choosing to either use your maxed out battle pass to start a new season?