The Culture and Diplomacy of Civ V: Brave New World

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
The Culture and Diplomacy of Civ V: Brave New World

Firaxis lead designer Ed Beach explains how victories have changed and XCOM units made it into Civilization V: Brave New World.

Read Full Article

zenoaugustus

Feb 5, 2009
Just when I thought I had finally gotten my fill of this game. These assholes know the right rhythm in which to drop expansions on me.

Edit: And to make it worse, it's named after a favorite book of mine. I'm pretty much obligated to pay them

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
The whaling ban, for example, is meaningless unless you can defy the world congress and harvest anyway.

THAT would create some interesting diplomacy.

(india breaks alliance and nukes japan over whales makes a lot more sense than india breaking an alliance and nuking japan for any old reason)

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
thiosk said:
The whaling ban, for example, is meaningless unless you can defy the world congress and harvest anyway.

(india breaks alliance and nukes japan over whales makes a lot more sense than india breaking an alliance and nuking japan for any old reason)
lets be honest Ghandi has never needed a reason to nuke someone

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Orange12345 said:
thiosk said:

Hahaha so true :)

[Insert more writing here so I don't get a warning or something]

sid

Jan 22, 2013
Woah, that sounds really unbalanced. Assyria's special skill, that is.

"These flying metal towers? Oh, I found them lying around in Sao Paulo, don't mind them. Say, did you ever get those round objects to move around or are your scientists still at it?"

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
sid said:

"These flying metal towers? Oh, I found them lying around in Sao Paulo, don't mind them. Say, did you ever get those round objects to move around or are your scientists still at it?"
Yeah there's gonna be some SERIOUS patchwork to be done on them after release I'd imagine.

Still, should be fun to just steamroll NPCs with warships and mechs while half of them are still working on animal husbandry.....

eberhart

Dec 20, 2012
Josh12345 said:
Still, should be fun to just steamroll NPCs with warships and mechs while half of them are still working on animal husbandry.....
They should probably forget Assyria then and just use W40k Orkz as a civ ^^

(though in that case your civ is going to work on animal husbandry as well, even when sending warships and mechs :) )

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
sid said:

Yeah I agree, that sounded REALLY overkill xD

Maybe they can only take technologies that the conquered Civ actually owns? So a bit like souped-up spies :p

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Really glad the cultural victory is getting an overhaul, I mean once who have secured your borders from any attackers and got your main cultural cities set up, all you do is watch the numbers tick over to the next policy. Glad they are bringing back the votes on other things beyond diplo victory, now I can build nuke stockpiles then vote to ban building nukes like I did in Civ IV :D

sid

Jan 22, 2013
Personally the cultural victory never bothered me that much. I'd usually invest one or two policies into honor to start getting culture from barbarians, so in the beginning culture would rack up really fast. Though admittedly, I would depend purely on exploits to actually win in culture, so I'm glad the system is getting rebooted. Though now that I think about it I very rarely use half the features in Civ

Out of curiosity, is anyone actively using the religion system?

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Why does this sound like its just going to make the Cultural and Diplomatic victories less viable and desirable than before?

I mean damn, when I play Civ 5 now and try any of the other victories on my way to acquire resources to allow me to complete those victories I usually realize partway through that "Well, I already screwed most of the world on my way here, might as well finish the job". And its usually faster and easier that way too.

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
I'm glad to hear that their changing up the cultural victory. It feels like it's in a weird spot right now; we lost half the cultural building to faith with Gods and Kings. Cultural victory is no longer really viable without playing an aggressive religious game where as all the other victories are still viable with religion just enhancing your play style. I dunno, hopefully this will improve everything.

Reynaert

Jan 30, 2011
Looking forward to this. I hope they can make the late game more engaging in other fields than just military. Brazil seems to be an interesting civilization.
Now I'm going back to conquering the rest of Europe as Boudicca, those giant death robots won't control themselves after all.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
sid said:

Simalacrum said:
Yeah I agree, that sounded REALLY overkill xD

Maybe they can only take technologies that the conquered Civ actually owns? So a bit like souped-up spies :p
I'd put my money on the fact that the conquered Civ really needs to own the tech you're taking.
The older iterations used to have that feature, but it didn't make much sense to lose a brank new level 1 city and suddenly the enemy can produce tanks when their highest tech is from the classical era.

It makes the Assyrians a mean folk to military rush-- getting one or two of those stretch techs can go a long way towards catching up to and overtaking the pack after a military start.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Orange12345 said:
thiosk said:

He seems to of mellowed a bit since civ 4 though as he seems to conquer people via conventional warfare less. Critical miss covered Gandhi best though.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Barda236 said:
Devoneaux said:
World congress...So we're basically taking ideas from Stardock but implimenting them slightly worse, Mm.
Actually I believe there were similar things in the previous titles, so if anything, Stardock just improved upon the concept originally developed by Firaxis in their own games. I haven't played SoSE:R, but judging from the first title, diplomacy was not so robust in their games.
SOASE is not a Stardock made game, its made my Ironclad games. Stardock just published it.

Also GalCiv had the diplomacy thing with the United planets (their version of the UN/world congress. (the first Galciv not 2)