The Curse of World of Tanks - Remakes Every 6 Months

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
The Curse of World of Tanks - Remakes Every 6 Months

Wargaming.net has made a lot of military history buffs and competitive multiplayers happy with World of Tanks, but it?s been tough to follow up.

Read Full Article

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
I recently started playing WoT on my 360. It is a fantastically well-developed game. Even though it's Free to Play, it's definitely not Pay to Win. Sure, you can pay for better tanks, but you can be just as effective with the lesser tanks, and can get the better ones with enough patience. But the amount of detail they provide for each tank is what hooked me more than anything. I'd swear I've spend almost as much time reading the stat sheets and descriptions of the various thanks than I have actually battling it out on the warfield. Also, the speed at which you can get in and out of battles is a major plus for me. There's hardly any waiting around.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I think the reason World of Warplanes hasn't had the same success is because of War Thunder which is actually better (I say this having spent many hours in both games). World of Tanks rules because it's the only well known game of it's kind, there have been plenty of other flight simulators by comparison. As for World of Warships, I'm looking to see the battle between that and NavyField 2.

Charcharo said:
That is beautiful.
I still remember when I got the Closed Beta invite... or was it even alpha? WoT was so different back then. Loved it, the tanks, the gameplay, the way it was brought up...

What I really like is how Wargaming have supported Museums and history through their game. ALso given us info on never before seen prototype vehicles like the 121 or Borsig... and invented a few like the WTF E-100 :D :D...

As for World of Warplanes... it can still be salvaged to at least decent levels. They must however get their act together.
I still have a screenshot from not long after launch when I in a VK3601H trapped an IS3 against some rocks so my team was able to cap while he was helpless. Such a good time.

deathmothon

Nov 30, 2013
An Ceannaire said:
I recently started playing WoT on my 360. It is a fantastically well-developed game. Even though it's Free to Play, it's definitely not Pay to Win. Sure, you can pay for better tanks, but you can be just as effective with the lesser tanks, and can get the better ones with enough patience. But the amount of detail they provide for each tank is what hooked me more than anything. I'd swear I've spend almost as much time reading the stat sheets and descriptions of the various thanks than I have actually battling it out on the warfield. Also, the speed at which you can get in and out of battles is a major plus for me. There's hardly any waiting around.
I think I might download just for the info. I like reading about tanks and planes and whatnot, so even if I never actually play it, it could be interesting.

Khymerion

Apr 10, 2012
Charcharo said:
That is beautiful.

What I really like is how Wargaming have supported Museums and history through their game. ALso given us info on never before seen prototype vehicles like the 121 or Borsig... and invented a few like the WTF E-100 :D :D...
No invention there, the E-100 actually was a design on paper. It was part of the Entwicklung series of tanks and there actually was a partially completed hull discovered by the allies so Wargaming didn't make up that tank. Take a bit of time to research the E series tanks and you will see a good deal of what counts as top end tanks for the German line hiding within the subject. Honestly, it is just nice to see what was a series of diagrams and blueprints, some of them merely some mad sketches (Lowe) actually rolling around the battlefield.

Too bad for game balance sake, we won't see the P.1000 Ratte rolling across a map. Wouldn't mind seeing the artists at Wargaming just jokingly put a model of it together... perhaps for an April Fools joke.

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
Vastly increasing the system specs required to run a free-to-play PC game while still keeping the graphics well below the bar set by AAA? Hell, it worked for Runescape!

...wait.

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
Blaine Houle said:
Too bad for game balance sake, we won't see the P.1000 Ratte rolling across a map. Wouldn't mind seeing the artists at Wargaming just jokingly put a model of it together... perhaps for an April Fools joke.
They're already pay-to-win, unless they stopped selling individual shells when I wasn't looking. So don't worry, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they're selling players the Schwerer Gustav.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
WarpZone said:
Blaine Houle said:
They're already pay-to-win, unless they stopped selling individual shells when I wasn't looking. So don't worry, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they're selling players the Schwerer Gustav.
Well, they haven't gotten rid of the "gold" ammunition, but they have made it able for you to use the free currency to buy it. Also, they give out gold in the clan wars now, so if you're really good then you can get some gold.

WarpZone said:
Vastly increasing the system specs required to run a free-to-play PC game while still keeping the graphics well below the bar set by AAA? Hell, it worked for Runescape!

...wait.
Another thing they're planning on doing in this next update is to make it so that a multi-core machine is able to actually use multiple cores, so that'll help a lot. Also, they're gonna have the ability to have low graphics options.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
I love world of tanks and absolutely adore the amount of effort that wargaming.net puts into its games. Seriously, the "developer diaries" videos they're putting out about the next update are really interesting, even if they're basically advertisements for the next update.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
An Ceannaire said:
I play PC version, but i can't inmagion it working difrently.

Yes you can buy tanks, but they are no better than a normal game tanks of the same tier.
There are some other benefits, but nothing game changing.

Also if a new player buys a high tier tank that way, he will suck at using it.(at first anyway)
Not unlike buying top level boost in WOW.

But i do agree that they are doing free to play wright.

on a side note.
How is the ingame community on xbox?
On PC it went from a GG at the end to name calling about a year ago.
I alway have found the Xbox scene obnoxious to start with. (I do own a 360, but it's gathering dust)
Is that any beter or worse?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I'm surprised he made such a simplistic assessment of why tanks are outdoing war planes, when WoT was made with such care and attention to detail, every angle of the terrain and every move of your vehicle come into consideration making this seemingly simple TPS actually the most detailed combat game outside an RTS.

But they put World of Warplanes together with just the broad strokes with no attention to detail, copied some mechanics over in hopes that things will work out, but stuff that is important to a tank is absolutely not the same stuff that is important to a plane so it just feels like nothing essential can be controlled, the only thing that can be done is spraying the enemy until one of you is down and nothing else... that just isn't good enough.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Just a quick correction: WoT isn't "free-to-play" it's "pay-to-win". Take the same two tanks, give one premium equipment and the other one the standard-version of that equipment and the premium one is going to win 9 times out of 10.

Of course I could just be bitter because I've raged so hard at that game that I literally burst a blood vessel in my forehead over the BS that goes on. My favorite is the fact that enemy Panthers used to be nigh indestructible to me. When I finally got one, though, it apparently was the paper mache model considering how many times I'd take a single shot to the front and have it blow up my engine and cause a fire that would destroy my tank 2 seconds later.

Of course, most of those shots were from the premium armor piercing ammo, but that just further supports my opinion that the game is pay-to-win, not free-to-play.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Charcharo said:
RJ 17 said:
Just a quick correction: WoT isn't "free-to-play" it's "pay-to-win". Take the same two tanks, give one premium equipment and the other one the standard-version of that equipment and the premium one is going to win 9 times out of 10.

Of course I could just be bitter because I've raged so hard at that game that I literally burst a blood vessel in my forehead over the BS that goes on. My favorite is the fact that enemy Panthers used to be nigh indestructible to me. When I finally got one, though, it apparently was the paper mache model considering how many times I'd take a single shot to the front and have it blow up my engine and cause a fire that would destroy my tank 2 seconds later.

Of course, most of those shots were from the premium armor piercing ammo, but that just further supports my opinion that the game is pay-to-win, not free-to-play.
Premium ammo and consumables can bought with credits. Premium tanks are univerally worse then normal tanks.
The grass is always greener on the other side.
Oh sure, you can buy premium ammo and items for credits...at radically expensive prices. It's over 10K silver for a single round of premium ammo...not very cost effective if you're saving up for the next tech-tree upgrade or tank. Yet you can pump some money into the game, get yourself some gold, and buy them for relatively cheap (except the fact that you just spent actual money to gain an advantage in a fictitious conflict). Pretty sure that, by definition, that's "pay-to-win".

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
RJ 17 said:
Charcharo said:
RJ 17 said:

Premium ammo and consumables can bought with credits. Premium tanks are univerally worse then normal tanks.
Oh sure, you can buy premium ammo and items for credits...at radically expensive prices. It's over 10K silver for a single round of premium ammo...not very cost effective if you're saving up for the next tech-tree upgrade or tank. Yet you can pump some money into the game, get yourself some gold, and buy them for relatively cheap (except the fact that you just spent actual money to gain an advantage in a fictitious conflict). Pretty sure that, by definition, that's "pay-to-win".
heh, I'm laughing cause the first response to RJ would have probably been "L2P noob, just shoot the weak spots" Which is actually good advice, oddly enough.

Yes, it's Free to Play. However, you can pay for convenience, also known as paying to gain more credits cause yer such a baddie that grinding a normal T5 isn't even extremely profitable :p

[edit] Also, in all honesty, it's not uncommon for people to get Top Guns without using any kind of premium anything, just positioning, aiming, and judicious application of med and repair kits when needed. Also fire extinguishers, those are very important, and if you're reaction's ain't great, the auto one might just be a good buy.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
RJ 17 said:
Charcharo said:
RJ 17 said:

10k credits?? Really?

My SU-152 has 1k Cr per shot standart ammo, thats the most expensive i got.(although there may be more expensive out there)
The price of premium ammo is a little over 4k Cr, thats steep but not to expensive to keep some to help out in a pinch.
The damage rating is the same as standart, only armor piercing is beter.
If anything, it can level the playing field if you are one of the lowest ties in the game.

Also an advantage is not a certain victory, victory dependents on the actions of your teammates more than anything else.

And although there are people who do, most players don't fire money at your tank constantly.
And when they are, how can you tell?

Moving up the tiers faster doen't really effect the battle's that mutch, so using a premium acount is by no means pay to win.

If they were just in it for the money, they would go the EA way and give your new gun research time that you can bypass for a price.

I understand what you are saying about the Panther.
But bear in mind that the stock versions of a tank are no beter than the previous tank.
I can agree on that it sometimes even feels like a downgrade, but you can bring it up to par without paying a dime.
But when you get the beter gun, engine, ... and get the hang of the tank you will see it's gets beter.

If you were saying they're not "Free to Play" but "Pay for advantage" i could argee to some extent.
But i also wouldn't have any real problem with that.