The Dark Knight Rises Catwoman

jobu59749

Aug 3, 2009
Agayek said:
Sougo said:
Catwoman is supposed to be 'girly'. And why would her hair be impractical, its tied up in a pony tail. Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with this character choice.

What I don't get is how the hell are goggles supposed to keep your identity a secret?
Any form of long hair is impractical in a fight.
I would be interested in where your basis for this sentence comes from. Wars have been fought by people with long hair...i'm not talking the line up and shoot each other wars either. I'm talking weapons with edges and fists, The Celts, The Native Americans, The Barbarian tribes of Germany, the Japanese, the Mongols, etc. I would like to know in what way long hair is impractical, if you're a practiced martial artist or combatant, you don't let people get close enough to grab it. (I know this is way away from the basis of the subject, but I couldn't look at this as a valid argument for her overall look in the film)

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Hathaway can act. I'm sure she'll rise to the occasion (no pun intended.)

And I've been fine with the visual aesthetic of the Batman films so far, so I don't really have any trouble with this presentation of Selina Kyle. I'd far rather have this kind of stylistic unity than some of the wild incongruities of tone, visual style, pacing, and theme that have plagued both the comic books and earlier movies.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
jobu59749 said:
I would be interested in where your basis for this sentence comes from. Wars have been fought by people with long hair...i'm not talking the line up and shoot each other wars either. I'm talking weapons with edges and fists, The Celts, The Native Americans, The Barbarian tribes of Germany, the Japanese, the Mongols, etc. I would like to know in what way long hair is impractical, if you're a practiced martial artist or combatant, you don't let people get close enough to grab it. (I know this is way away from the basis of the subject, but I couldn't look at this as a valid argument for her overall look in the film)
You can fight with long hair just fine, but it is something you must worry about when you're in a fight. It's another grabbing point for your opponent to control and limit your movements, and it doesn't even have the advantage of also potentially being a weapon like your limbs. And it can blind you if it ever escapes whatever tie you have it in.

I'm not trying to say it can't be done, but it requires you to pay attention to your hair and the positioning and momentum of your head. Essentially, it adds another layer of complexity to a fight that really doesn't need to be there and gives you no gain.

Having long hair in a fight is purely a disadvantage. There is no possible advantage to doing so. Thus, it's not practical to have long hair in a fight.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Never liked catwoman. Woman that steals stuff. Yawn. The picture fits her i guess. She is just a thief and i doubt she will change much. I like the Tim Burton catwoman. :)But i think this picture is it and for all the talk i doubt Nolan will have her dressing in a cat costume.

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
Looks fine, though not too impressed with Anne Hathaway. She's a good actress, but i don't know if this is her kind of role. Has she even been in an action movie, let alone an action role?

Wish it was Natalie Portman :3

Oh well can't go wrong with Nolan.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I think Catwomen is just silly altogether, and the name Dark Knight Rises sounds so... lame. Two Face, The Joker and Scarecrow are actually scary villians while Catwomen, I could never take a character like that seriously. I don't even see the point if she is not going to have any 'cat' abilities, so I can't wait to see how this will turn out.

Yeah, I have no doubt it will go way down hill from The Dark Knight.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
Looks pretty unimpressive as the supposed Catwoman. I hope they don't decide it's "too unrealistic" for a gal to run around in a catlike costume - that would be almost as stupid as the third act of Batman Begins.

But I suppose it's too early to judge.

EonEire

Feb 7, 2008
DarqueMage said:
EonEire said:
This is a total over reaction Anne just bought a new bike and the papz are all over her, for shame!
Oh come on, like she didn't buy the bike and those hipster sunglasses for the attention anyway. How many millions of dollars do you think those set her back? And that's just the glasses.
"Technique" by Calvin Klein

Treaos Serrare

Aug 19, 2009
seriously? for the love of..... how the hell could they fuck up her costume this bad? the most recent one i have seen is the simplest and easiest to make real, some big ass goggles a cat ear helmet and some leather clothes.

Agayek said:
jobu59749 said:
You can fight with long hair just fine, but it is something you must worry about when you're in a fight. It's another grabbing point for your opponent to control and limit your movements, and it doesn't even have the advantage of also potentially being a weapon like your limbs. And it can blind you if it ever escapes whatever tie you have it in.

I'm not trying to say it can't be done, but it requires you to pay attention to your hair and the positioning and momentum of your head. Essentially, it adds another layer of complexity to a fight that really doesn't need to be there and gives you no gain.

Having long hair in a fight is purely a disadvantage. There is no possible advantage to doing so. Thus, it's not practical to have long hair in a fight.
this answer + most of those people you mentioned braided their hair or bound it some way so it wasn't loose and easy to grab or get caught on things. also regardless of how good you are in terms of martial arts, there's ALWAYS a chance someone can get the drop on you always

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Dayummm, girl!
I like Anne Hathaway, I think the casting in this movie has been great thus far.
People saying she's too girly~ Pretty sure the whole point of acting is so you can pretend to be a completely different person.
But people will always complain until they see the movie, I remember people saying Heath Ledger will be nothing compared to Jack Nicholson before TDK came out. I'm gonna wait and see what she's like in the movie.

All I know right now is that she's damn hot :p

Phoenix_XIII

May 15, 2011
Sougo said:
Catwoman is supposed to be 'girly'. And why would her hair be impractical, its tied up in a pony tail. Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with this character choice.

What I don't get is how the hell are goggles supposed to keep your identity a secret?
Robin had barely a mask and Superman didn't even put a mask on. Apparently when Clark Kent takes his glasses off the change is miraculous. Point is, I don't think any of us are in any position to judge what does and doesn't conceal and identity comic book wise.

captain_dalan

Feb 1, 2011
Agayek said:
jobu59749 said:

You are looking at it from a controlled and somewhat scientific view point of in-ring fighting. And yes, all the points you make are true, but so are the facts some of the history's best warriors had long hair (even as status symbols). Don't let the "western" practical haircut get in the way of imagination ;)

As for Anne, yeah i was jaw dropped to when i heard too. She is a descent and talented actress and with proper directing she is well above average (even very good at times), but i could never imagine her as an action heroine. In a slow paced drama yes but as a cat woman? But, if they do with this one, what they did with the last 2 movie, i'd eat my own hat and be happy about it, i just love the new approach to comic book movie making, they no longer feel camp, but like real genuine works of art (from both dramatization and characterization PoV) :D

The suit? Looks fine to me with the overall styling of the last 2 movies, the only thingy i am worried about is the lack of identity concealment, but then again that might not be the issue for her in this version :)

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Phoenix_XIII said:
Robin had barely a mask and Superman didn't even put a mask on. Apparently when Clark Kent takes his glasses off the change is miraculous. Point is, I don't think any of us are in any position to judge what does and doesn't conceal and identity comic book wise.
To be fair, there's a lot more to Superman's disguise than "put on his glasses". There's a whole lot of body language and other semi-subconscious queues people use to recognize other people. Everything from your posture to the way you walk is used by others to identify you. If you can alter a decent amount of those, then glasses would be more than sufficient as a disguise. Clark Kent is "mild-mannered", meaning meek, quiet and generally unconfident. Superman is the exact opposite. Their behaviorisms are different enough to throw off those queues.

There's plenty of evidence for such disguises working in real life. Movie stars and other famous people throw on some sunglasses and wear radically different clothes and they can walk right past others without notice. And that doesn't even take into account the idea that there are entire government organizations whose primary purpose is being able to change their identity at a moment's notice.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
I'm hoping those goggles pop up into cat ears.

Cause without the cat ears, catwoman's just a lady in a bodysuit.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
Seeing as I have yet to encounter a female character in a Christopher Nolan film who was anything but plot exposition/contrivance, I'm interested to see what he does with Catwoman.
I'm pessimistic, however. I don't think much of Nolan's capability as a writer of characters, and while Hathaway is charming enough, I don't see her as an actress with much substance in her repertoir. (A presumption which she could still prove wrong, absolutely.)

And considering a particular previous performance in the same role...

...let's just say she's got a hard act to follow.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
Doesn't necessarily scream "Catwoman" to me, but if there's one thing I've learned about Nolan's Batman films, it's that you can't judge them based on earlier press releases. I wasn't convinced when I saw press shots of Cillian Murphy as Scarecrow in Begins. I wasn't convinced when I saw press shots of Heath Ledger as the Joker in Dark Knight. On both counts, I ended up changing my mind once I saw the finished product.

I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. Nolan's earned that much.

dlsevern

Jan 2, 2011
Nolan's Batman movies are by far more superior than Burton's Batman movies. I love the costumes, the actors/actresses, and the direction Nolan's movies have taken. They are much darker than any other live action Batman movies which is exactly the way it should be.

dlsevern

Jan 2, 2011
LiquidGrape said:
Seeing as I have yet to encounter a female character in a Christopher Nolan film who was anything but plot exposition/contrivance, I'm interested to see what he does with Catwoman.
I'm pessimistic, however. I don't think much of Nolan's capability as a writer of characters, and while Hathaway is charming enough, I don't see her as an actress with much substance in her repertoir. (A presumption which she could still prove wrong, absolutely.)

And considering a particular previous performance in the same role...

...let's just say she's got a hard act to follow.
I understand that this is your opinion but please, Pfeifer's rendition was horrible, not as bad as Halle Barry's but pretty bad. Anne Hathaway is a fine actress and I have no doubt that she will portray Catwoman better than any women who've portrayed her before.