The Dark Reality of 'Paperboy In Real Life'

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
The Dark Reality of 'Paperboy In Real Life'

There is nothing funny about dead children. Unless they happen to be the stars of infuriatingly difficult classic games.

It's no secret that this kind of fan-made video is as common on the 'net as misleading Evony ads [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94680-Evony-Sues-Blogger-for-Libel] or promises of wealth from Nigerian princes.

On paper, there's nothing that sets this clip apart from any of the other vignettes cobbled together by nostalgic twentysomething auteurs, but somewhere between writing the script and delivering the lines in their pleasant Canadian accents, the creators hit upon something hilarious.

Maybe my frustration at Paperboy has instilled in me a deeply-rooted desire to see the titular kid killed. Who knows? The only thing you need to know is that of all the hundreds of "classic games turned into sketch comedy" videos you'll see today, this one is the best.

(Via Geekologie [http://www.geekologie.com/2009/09/video_game_reality_paperboy_in.php])

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Oh man, I remember playing this and I'd eventually get to some "construction zone" - wondering why it needed papers, and wondering why I sucked at that area so much.

Though, that explains all the random hazards...

Quadtrix

Dec 17, 2008
Y'know what the sad thing about this is? This is actually a very-likely scenario in this day and age.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I didn't laugh at him when he said he was going to kill the paperboy with a tire.

When he was around.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
It's been awhile sense I've played that game but isn't only good to throw papers through windows and whatnot to people who aren't your subscribers?

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Careful Mr. Cavalli, or the Nigerian Government may take offense and demand an apology.

Loved the video. It's great to take the simple, overlooked bits of a game and twist them.

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
Wow this is bringing back memories, I rented a N64 when I was 5 years old and played paperboy 64, I sucked at it so much but I only enjoyed breaking windows.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
"Lovable paperboy killed by angry fat man"

Hah, Earnest, you are officially made of epic awesomesauce flavoured win. With internet sprinkles on top. That was just great, well done for finding that, wherever you found it. Whoever made it is just brilliant :D

Pohlkat

Apr 11, 2008
Can't say I recognize that as a Canadian accent. Perhaps an Atlantic one? This is like saying all Americans speak in a southern drawl. Sorry to the folks who may or may not have this accent somewhere in our fabulous country.