The Darkness 2 First Look

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
I just creamed my pants!!!

WOO-HOO! I now have 2 games that I can look forward to for fall release, The Darkness 2 and Gears of War 3.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Glad there doing a sequel after all these years. The Darkness was a pretty good game, wasn't the best out there but as you said. Good ideas just a little short on the execution. I am extremely surprised to hear they are doing a sequel. This game seemed to have been one that everyone forgot about and I imagined it was just going to lay dead under the weight never to be heard of again (except by fans of the comics of course... for better or worse).

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I am really excited to see some gameplay video from this. I really loved the first one, although I hope they just leave out the Multi-player this time. Maybe re-envision it... No, just leave it out and give me a longer and more though-out single-player experience.

Apr 28, 2008
I'm wondering how they managed to even get a sequel. The first game seemed like it had a pretty final ending.

The Darkness takes over Jackie completely.

Still though, the first game was great, and I'd say its narrative is better than even Bioshock. The execution was muddled for sure, but damn was it amazing. Hopefully the second is just as good. And according to the intro, it is.

Its reminiscent of when those cops torture you by drilling your mouth.

Gidiel167

May 13, 2009
HOLY SHIT YES! dammit why does 2011 have so many good games. it's such a dorky number.

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
Whoa! The Darkness has a sequel?? For starters, that's great news by itself. But there's a demo already?? Holy hell!

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
Irridium said:
I'm wondering how they managed to even get a sequel. The first game seemed like it had a pretty final ending.

Still though, the first game was great, and I'd say its narrative is better than even Bioshock. The execution was muddled for sure, but damn was it amazing. Hopefully the second is just as good. And according to the intro, it is.

That's the wonder of comics. Even when they're dead, you can't keep a good story down. ;) Even with The Darkness ending as it was (RE your spoiler), the universe is so full of content and other amazing characters that I knew a sequel would be coming.

I agree with you on the Bioshock thing. The game is top shelf with its story telling mechanic. I was sold when I sat down to watch To Kill a Mochingbird with Jenny, and learned that I could watch the whole thing! I did too. I was that attached to the character.

Apr 28, 2008
Ellen of Kitten said:
Irridium said:

That's the wonder of comics. Even when they're dead, you can't keep a good story down. ;) Even with The Darkness ending as it was (RE your spoiler), the universe is so full of content and other amazing characters that I knew a sequel would be coming.
Oh I know, what I meant was that I'm wondering is why they stuck with Jackie, since his story seemed to have been told. But if they can do it well, I won't complain.

Also, I too watched the whole movie. As well as the cartoons on the various TV's scattered throughout the world. Popeye rules.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Irridium said:

Few things

While it does appear the Darkness took over Jackie, remember that this could have been temporary, as Jackie has effectively learned how to control it by that point, and isn't actually killed off according to the last piece of spoken dialogue. It's likely that it was an extended period of possession, much like that segment that occurred during the final mission when the Darkness broke loose.

Also, they seemed to be aiming a bit high for it to be a mouth wound.

Anyways, it looks good so far (save for no Mike Patton...). Hoping to see some more pivotal characters to the series this time around (as well as for Jackie to not appear to be wearing a mask this time around).

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Damn you captcha error.

Might as well talk a bit more about concerns here.

First, hoping that the Darklings have more lines and follow orders a bit better. Those little bastards ran off on their own too much.

Second, please... no Darkness world. Or if it comes up, don't pull that lightning (or lighting for that matter) trick again.

Lastly, don't know how they're going to top Jenny's scenes, but I wish them luck.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I loved haveing a squad of demons with me a shame they took that out.

Now as wonky as the frist was was with gameplay,ect I did love the hub system and the whole Steven Segal mobster feel of the first one I hope they are able to pull off that world and audio/visual style again.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
I was one of those folks who actually really enjoyed The Darkness around the release of the 360. I still have my copy floating around somewhere. But what the hell is up with people rebooting these old games? I refuse to call them franchises; i see that's what they're trying to create, but come on. It's Getting rather redundant and it only goes to show what kind of stagnating rut the industry has got itself into. Just Cause? Crackdown? And before that, Kane and Lynch? Army of Two? All rubbish games that got totally unwarranted sequels. I even have to wonder at some of the occasionally better games that did get sequels (The Darkness, Condmned) if only because the original had come out so bloody long ago and faded into obscurity that anyone who really gave a toss about the world, story or game / franchise itself, won't any longer.

Let me guess; five years from now we'll get a Condemned 3 to explain the mindfuck cliffhanger of Condemned 2, even though no-one cares about it any longer. Great.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Delock said:
Second, please... no Darkness world. Or if it comes up, don't pull that lightning (or lighting for that matter) trick again.
While a gree with the bullshit lightning thing they pulled, the Otherworld was one of the best parts of the game for me. It showed that the Darkness was more than just a pair of demon heads doing cool stuff for you, that it's far more powerful than it could ever show you in the real world. It was also very unsettling at times, which was good, seeing as you needed to know what you were dealing with.

Then again if the Otherworld doesn't fit into the story this time around I won't mind. I am sad Mike Patton's not doing the Voice though. Sad indeed...

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
First things first, can they fix the agonisingly slow movement speed? Or throw in a sprint button? If they fix that then i have no reservations

[sub]Wait no Mike Patton maybe that's one reservation then...[/sub]

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Loved the first game and look forward to playing this one. I read an article which said the game might bring the Angelus into it. They considered the Witchblade as well, but decided that would be spreading it too thin. Either way, the game looks to be epic. Hope it doesn't disappoint. And now for the comics! *scurries off to wardrobe-library*