The Day the Multiplayer Died

Game People

Jan 5, 2010
The Day the Multiplayer Died

Where did all the cutting edge split screen games go?

Read Full Article

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
I miss bots! Me and my sister used to love playing Red Faction (1+2) in local multiplayer split screen in a team by ourselves against as many enemy bots as possible.

I wish modern games would go back to those days :(

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'm glad that split screen coop still lives. Some developers keep it in for just that reason. (The reason being to keep it alive.) Such is the case with Borderlands.

As for bots:

Now, with the advent of online console gaming, and especially the rise of "ranking systems"...there's little call for bots now.

[sub]I like them, too.[/sub]

A New Super Mario Brothers Wii coop was terrible with more than two people. Well, the physics were. The idea was nice.

HellBeast

Jan 31, 2010
you gotta do challanges in perfect dark to unlock more cpu's. Most I ever had was 12. I'm not sure if that's max or not

SomeBoredGuy

Nov 18, 2009
That last phrase would be excellent if it were put to the Back to the Future theme. Although, I have just done a Back to the Future marathon-thing.

Game People

Jan 5, 2010
someboredguy said:
That last phrase would be excellent if it were put to the Back to the Future theme. Although, I have just done a Back to the Future marathon-thing.
It would be great in Red Alert...

Oh wait!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I suspect your future won't happen. Remember when PC releases often had some kind of splitscreen, now it seems even LAN support is asking too much.

Unless online subscriptions start declining they're going to kill split screen entirely, why have local multiplayer when you can have network gaming that means every player has to buy a copy of the game just to join in? Why support LAN when you can force every player through your pay to play or heavily advertised 'free' system?

I miss LAN gaming, marathon sessions of SWAT 4 were brilliant, not least to hear the anguished cries of your enemy as the zipcuffs were drawn. Like keyboard S&M it was...

The_Decoy

Nov 22, 2009
I miss it too, there's nothing better than (figuratively) raping your friends in a game. Hence why we dug out our N64's over the holidays :D

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
I love bots. I might not even have multiplayer if there were bots in a game, but I think that's the point...

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
I went to a friends the other night after we went to the movies on his birthday to find the only games we could play? Tekken 6, Soul Calibur 4 and Blazblue:Calamity Trigger, all fighting games.
It's really depressing in a way because the best part of gaming is mixing with community and friends for playing.
PS3s support up to 6-8 controllers, but what's the fucking point?

Layz92

May 4, 2009
Yeah I agree it is like they are trying to extract all the parts of games you can do with a friend. I hope there is a resurgence of split screen games.

donssword

Sep 6, 2009
The TimeSplitters series offers bots in splitscreen mode--it was the primary draw of TS2 since the online play was never implemented, and it is the reason I still play TS2 and TS3.

The Conduit offers splitscreen, but I have no idea if it allows bots.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Game People, understand that this is fueled by money as much as any claims of innovation. The bottom line is that the games industry wants to force people online as much as possible. This allows them greater control over the product, fuels the development of online services run by each individual developer, and of course makes it easier to pimp microtransactions to those people while they are online.

I admit I'm not a big fan of split screen on the occasions when I do play multiplayer games, BUT I do understand the appeal and why it works. However from a game industry perspective they don't have much motivation for catering to your "on the couch" split screen or even LAN based gaming experience.

From their perspective if they force you online this means you need two people with compadible hardware, their own copies of the game, and of course them being signed up for your service so you can harass them with microtransactions, advertising, and of course have access to their personal information. Oh and yeah, there is the DRM aspect of the whole thing too, since it allows them to try and make multiplayer impossible without a real copy since your dependant on their online verification and such. I'd also argue (on an unrelated note) that I suspect part of the industry's obsession with multiplayer gaming, oftentimes at the expense of single player games/components is simply that it's relatively easy to force multiplayer online and try and verify it, while single player games are much easier to
steal and get the most out of by their very nature. To an extent I figure a lot of companies figure single player modes in shooters and such are amounting to a freebie for pirates.

Of course the central root of this problem is us gamers ourselves. In general we whine, we produce articles like this, and of course send in endless numbers of petitions. In the end though we still buy the products in a lemming-like fashion, and we don't even have any kind of organized consumer advocacy going. As a result we're pretty much an ideal group of sheeple primed for corperate exploitation. The whining and complaints effectively having simply turned into "buzz" for a game, since really they know no matter how much the community bleats, we're still going to generally line up to pay for our space in the trough line.

While a bit differant from "split screen", look at "Modern Warfare 2". MW2 is the best selling game ever. Yet the game sold like this despite multiplayer gamers being brutalized by the company cutting out features (dedicated servers) that they wanted. Basically people complained in massive numbers and went out and bought it anyway. Even worse, the first "Modern Warfare" title was frankly an unbalanced mess, people literally screamed about things like "Martyrdom" by the hundreds of thousands. Yet despite this, people decided to run right out and buy the sequel which they simply all hoped would actually be as well balanced as the first game was promised to be. Balacing games, whether computer games, or PnP RPGs is perhaps one of the most difficult things to do in game design. It shouldn't be any huge surprise that Infinity Ward really didn't bother to balance things any better than the first game. You even had Penny Arcade making jokes about how overpowered knives were, and calling people using certain weapon combinations "dog rapists". Not to mention the endless and ongoing complaints about Recons (and sniper classes in general in most games), and mortar strikes. Simply put, from a game balance perspective this is a poorly designed nightmare and everyone realizes it (despite staunch defenders)... yet there is no effort to fix this or balance the game via patches and such because simply put the company realizes it's not worth the time, they have their money, and frankly the bleating sheeple will run off to "Modern Warfare 3" when they decide to implement it and spend their money. They have no reason to think otherwise.

What I'm getting at here is that if gamers aren't going to turn on something like "Modern Warfare", the odds of seeing any kind of community rallying for split screen is more or less non-existant.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
I suspect your future won't happen. Remember when PC releases often had some kind of splitscreen, now it seems even LAN support is asking too much.
PC split screen/co-op has always been a rarity with the only games supporting it normally console ports. This was probably due to the fact setting up LAN games was easy (and a lot more fun!) Personally, I hate online multiplayer as its so impersonal. Its always a lot more fun playing against someone next too you and I have fond memories of 5 player roatational Halo at a mates house. I'm more likely to buy a game if it has local co-op/multiplayer even if I'm not a big fan of the genre (i.e Halo, Gears) because any game can become fun when you add a mate and alcohol into the mix.

Oh, and screen watching is not cheating.

Game People

Jan 5, 2010
SplitScreen is cool and all, but being overdramatic is just going to make me, and many others, oppose you. I really don't care about SS much, as I don't have a bunch of nearby friends. Online allows you to talk to people around the world. Why oppose that?

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
My housemate and I occasionally rent a game and play through it co-op in one sitting but our choices have been severely limited as of late; we've done Gears of War 1 + 2, Perfect Dark XBLA, Perfect Dark Zero and Army of Two 40 Days.

We nearly got the new Splinter Cell game out but the back said that it was a separate campaign for co-op although the back was quite ambiguous. Can anyone tell me if it is a co-op single player campaign plus an additional small campaign designed for co-op or if it is just a separate tagged on addition a la Modern Warfare 2 which, whilst fun, wasn't exactly the same because it was short 5-10 minute blasts rather than the actual game.

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
I think split screen games are a soon to be a thing of the past. Maybe its just the people I know, but I have a hard time finding anybody willing to play a game when its squished into the tunnel vision of 1/2 or 1/4 of a screen. Especially when it is included like Gears of War, and there is no option to make the split vertical, which to me would make much more sense on a widescreen TV.
Local multiplayer is still awesome though, and I'm pretty confident it wont go away. Maybe when hardware is powerful enough, and monitors are super cheap, game consoles will have the option to plug in up to 4 monitors or TVs doing away with split screen, and keeping all your friends in the room to play.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
More games needs split screen unforced co-op. By unforced I mean you don't have a (meaningful) computer partner when it is only single player. Halo managed this well, so did Timesplitters(2&3) which was one of the greatest console experiences ever.

One game I really with had co-op LAN play is STALKER, it could easily be worked into the story or the second player just ignored like in Halo 1.

Companies don't want to put in lan play for the reasons the wall of text above listed. They want control over the players environment, they want continuous contact for marketing opportunities, they want piracy protection, etc.

I will not be purchasing starcraft 2 because of a lack of lan and direct IP play.

Saskwach

Nov 4, 2007
You know, I basically posted a thread like this to the escapist a long while back. Which isn't to say I'm grumpy, just that I totally agree.
MW2 makes me rage. You can play 4 player split screen OR 1p per screen LAN, but NOT 4 player split screen LANs. So to play with 5 players offline takes 4 more TVs, 360s and copies of MW2 (the key element to IW/Activision's decision I'm sure) than you need to play with 4. They clearly could have done it; that they didn't was a purely mercenary money-making venture. And it probably didn't even make them much/any money.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
HG131 said:
SplitScreen is cool and all, but being overdramatic is just going to make me, and many others, oppose you. I really don't care about SS much, as I don't have a bunch of nearby friends. Online allows you to talk to people around the world. Why oppose that?
The point isn't that online play is bad. I don't think anyone would say that. However, if you do have friends, then a split-screen game is just so much more fun to play. In stead of sitting all alone behind your own screen, split-screen puts two (or more) people on the same couch, behind the same screen. It greatly enhances the social aspect of the game, and in my opinion there isn't a multiplayer game in the world that cannot be improved by playing it with a friend. What's more, you can only play online multiplayer if your friends have the same system and the same game as you do. If you have a PS3 and your friend has an X360, good luck trying to play together online. But if you visit your friend or your friend visits you, and you've got split-screen games, you can have fun all day.

Besides, wouldn't you rather play with a good friend next to you than with some abusive 12-year old from halfway across the world?

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
sadly this console-born syndrome takes over to pc too...more and more games do not have the lan mode, that used to be the highlight of any game for me.. :(

Saskwach

Nov 4, 2007
Hurr Durr Derp said:
The point isn't that online play is bad. I don't think anyone would say that. However, if you do have friends, then a split-screen game is just so much more fun to play. In stead of sitting all along behind your own screen, split-screen puts two (or more) people on the same couch, behind the same screen. It greatly enhances the social aspect of the game, and in my opinion there isn't a multiplayer game in the world that cannot be improved by playing it with a friend.
One time three friends and I hooked up our 360s to the interwebs while in the same room and went MeW2ing along with a couple other friends on Live at the time. It was a blast. We could see each other's awesome killcams, talk back and forth, and generally drink in the atmosphere of LANning, with the comfort and gamer pool of online play.
Of course it wasn't so fun for our enemy. They were consistently thumped (except for a couple lobbies that put up a good show), and found a lot of their sneaky tactics countered by a group of what looked like mic-less pubbies. They must have wondered how the hell we always knew when they'd ambushed someone. (One time we actually set up a full defensive perimeter above the stairs on Terminal without saying a word or ever having planned it before. It was eery to turn from my post looking down the stairs and see everyone else covering an entrance without ever having agreed on it.)

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I caught up with a friend of mine on steamchat earlier today and he mentioned going to a lan party. I miss that atmosphere. It's alot more fun when you're with the other players and you see the expression on their face when you pull off a good move (or funny if they get you, it's all good). Halo, Perfect Dark, Unreal 2004 and a few other games were great for this. They ran smoothly and provided that unique experience.

I've noticed this too with alot of newer games relying strictly on internet only which is kind of sad. When I have friends over what I am supposed to play now.. >.>

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
And that's how I suddenly was hit by the wall of nostalgia associated with GoldenEye 007 memories...
Mmm, paintball mode and floating remote mines!

hi0marc

Mar 12, 2010
Dont think much of MW games but must compliment their split screen options- The best of any FPS (and probably only)
Split screen should return, not likes it's hard to implement.

razormint21

Mar 29, 2010
It really bugs me that splitscreen is slowly being phased out.
Considering that TV's are getting the widescreen treatment and have respectable sizes already...

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Yesss!

Bring back split-screen! Bring back hot-seat! Bring back bot-matches!
Hot seat leads to vicous, brutal infighting. A friend if mine got nacho cheese dumped all over him for pretending to not have died when we looked away. I won't say who started the nacho fight, I'll just point at the guilty party and whistle.

*Whistles while pointing*

TheColdHeart

Sep 15, 2008
I like splitscreen, it makes gaming with friends a bit more social when they were in the same room as you. Mainly because watching someone play a game can be pretty boring, I play most game campaigns splitscreen with my friends like Halo, Gears of War, Borderlands. I like the kinda "team" feeling you get sat side by side.

I also miss loading up a load of bots and just messing about on a multiplayer game by myself or getting a bit of practice in. TimeSplitters 2, me and my friend vs a whole team of 5 star bots with only homing-launchers...fun times.

rjou

Apr 7, 2010
the_tramp said:
My housemate and I occasionally rent a game and play through it co-op in one sitting but our choices have been severely limited as of late; we've done Gears of War 1 + 2, Perfect Dark XBLA, Perfect Dark Zero and Army of Two 40 Days.

We nearly got the new Splinter Cell game out but the back said that it was a separate campaign for co-op although the back was quite ambiguous. Can anyone tell me if it is a co-op single player campaign plus an additional small campaign designed for co-op or if it is just a separate tagged on addition a la Modern Warfare 2 which, whilst fun, wasn't exactly the same because it was short 5-10 minute blasts rather than the actual game.
It's a separate story, a prequel of sorts to the story of Conviction itself, shown from a perspective of two third echelo operatives, neither being Sam. I have sort of a same kind of relationship with split-screens, we've played nearly every (damnation being the only exception) SS game there is for 360 and majority of PS3 as well with a mate of mine. AoT40D was a huge pile of crap considering the first one did everything better and I was very weary of the Splinter Cell co-op. I was glad to notice I had nothing to fear. Although it offers much less duration than the main story, it's the most fun I've had in split-screen since Gears of War 2. Imagine Rainbow 6 Vegas with more weight on the stealth side and add some elements of Army of Two from strategical point of view and you'll get the basic idea. You can safely go SC:C SS mode with my recommendations at least. :)

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
WWE's really stopped doing that (well I think) I think they still do 6 people on one console doing Money In The Bank. (good friday nights wasted :) )

robert022614

meeeoooow
Dec 1, 2009
personally i love splitscreen!!! online gaming is all well and fun and im not saying it is (better) by any means, but they both have their purpose one shouldnt be abandoned for the other. i love playing online when im alone and if i want to play with a friend he/she shouldnt have to lug their console to my place and hook up to my internet just so we can see each other shoot each other face to face. Also is it just me or has coop campaigns seem to be becoming rarer and rarer. sure borderlands had it and i appreciated it for that, but most games seem to be ditching it. i bought resistance and totally enjoyed it coop with my best friend. i bought resistance two and enjoyed the game alone i mean dont get me wrong the level based multiplayer thing was unique and fun, but well it just lost alot of something without coop campaign. Also my best friend who i pretty much grew up loving games with DOESNT have internet!!!! so lately with games that dont have splitscreen we tend to meet at my place and do alot of controller passing. all in all its not something deal breaking for most, just seems to be sort of a shame. online socializing my be the future, but that doesnt mean tackling your friend because he/she is a screen watching jackass should be a thing of the past either....

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Thank GOD! for Pacific Rifts 4-player Splitscreen, hours of fun were had because of it.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
you know i love playing online shooters, but nothing beats the fun of sitting next to someone and blowing their head off with everyone in the room laughin about it

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
I agree, I live in an apartment with 4 other people, 3 of which play games, and it's kind of silly to play with them online, in 4 separate rooms.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
The DS download play offers an almost split-screen experience, but more often than not it's like playing a demo. Even then, less DS games have download now.
I still have MoH:Rising Sun for the PS2, and I love the bots in there. Bots would be great in more games, but not in every type. MAG, for example, shouldn't have bots because it's based around working with other humans in a squad. AvP though, could plausibly have bots, because it is hard enough to find a full online game.
Overall, I wish that the ultimate split-screen/LAN paradise would appear, but it isn't suited for every game (just a large amount of them).

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I miss the days of Goldeneye, getting 4 mates in a room on a tiny television, with a quater television each and trying to kill each other.

Those were the days...now its all about been alone, in a room, wioth people oyu may not even know

real, real shame

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
My favorite thing in the world used to be playing Jedi Knight II with invincibility and infinite life on against hordes of bots.

I really miss bots. A lot.

Also: Gears of War 2 has them, it's the only reason I don't sell that game: There's a lot of fun to be had with a friend against bots.

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
This is why I have game night with my friends, admittedly we do play lots of Brawl but we do play other games too and it's getting harder and harder to include FPS, we do play beat em ups or party games or racers but still...

IrirshTerrorist

Jul 25, 2009
I couldn't agree more with everything said in this article.

I always have been and a;ways will be a someone who believes playing with four people who are in the same room as you is better than twelve+ people online.

Bring back fourplayer splitscreen! Bring back system link!

Halo2 is one of the most fun games to play 8player system link. You can create some really fun game types, such as; Super Zombie and Super Zombie Convoy.

Game People

Jan 5, 2010
I see a lot of people saying "I miss bots". True, I miss bots sometimes, too. But my aim is getting better.

Seriously, play with the bots off of Left 4 Dead 2. That will remove your nostalgia in a heart beat.

I am really hard pressed to find a game with worse bot AI. Except for this one Military game. Can't remember which one, possibly a MoH game, in which the bazooka toting bots would zero in on an enemy bunker and let fly, yet not notice there was a wall less than a foot in front of him.

Goodbye squad, goodbye legs. This is Lt. Dan, signing out. *bleh*

I would much rather play with people, even that horrible little 8 year old that somehow got his/her hands on a copy of L4D2. At least completing a level on Expert has a chance that way. Otherwise, the Ellis bot will be sure to spray your memories across the wall as soon as he gets his little bot hands on that shotgun.

I hate friendly fire...

Chameliondude

Jul 21, 2009
I think your concentrating too much on shooters, ive had 7 people just last weekend in one fifa match on ps3, racing games and fighters all still have multiplayer, but i do see what you mean.

I am very annoyed with the lack of splitscreen and multiplayer expecially when it lets you do it online, It seemed very promising at the begining of the generation, resistance 1 had sick splitscreen and killzone had bots but these were the last of a dying breed.

GL2814E

Feb 16, 2010
Meh, I recently had a ton of fun doing three player split screen with some friends over the XBLA Perfect Dark, but there is something to be said for using all of my ginormous television so I can see. And if those friends would both download Perfect Dark then I would just play them over XBLA and we'd enjoy that as much I suspect...

(And they wouldn't be drinking all of my beer so there is that...)

Apr 28, 2008
I think we have Halo 2 to blame for this rise in online games. Before Halo 2, I can't think of much console games that were huge online successes.

But at least Halo offers 4 player split screen. For both online and offline play.

And I'm sick of the excuse that devs can't do splitscreen because "the console would have to work harder."

If Goldeneye can pull of 4 player splitscreen on, what, 4 megabytes of RAM [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64#Hardware] with a fraction of the budget for todays games, and according to Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldeneye_007], which we know is never ever wrong, Goldeneye's multilayer was a damn afterthought!

Something tells me developers can put in 4 player split screen with the massive budgets and teams we have now along with powerful consoles.

And don't even get me started with bots. All the time I spent on the Unreal Tournament games playing with bots...

Cargin

Jun 3, 2009
the_tramp said:
I know exactly what u mean. me nd and old friend decided to relive the old days when only one of us had a console and rent out sum co-op games and have few beers, etc. the only problem was that the only game available to rent with co-op was the fantastic four...it was really bad...

I dont mind if games aren't gears of war/ army of 2 style: co-op orientated, i'd just like more games to have a half decent option for it.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Me and my friends are constantly talking about this. Even LAN is being removed in games, like Starcraft 2. And a major selling point of Crackdown was the whole idea of having another guy running around with his own agenda. He may help you, you may help him, or he might just go off to the other side of the city. Then I found out you need to go online. Which is not nearly as fun. I've basically given up on more than 2 player split screen. New Super Mario Brothers was a lot of fun with four players though. We didn't have too much trouble. Apart from that, me and my friends go down to one guys computer store, and LAN there. Or my D&D group just gets our laptops and LANs Halo all night...

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
I have yet to play a multiplayer game without a local connection, and I cannot even begin to understand the appeal. Why would trade having half a dozen people in your room trading controllers to have Link bash Pikachu's face in for splitting them up onto six systems and TVs in six rooms where you all have to communicate via a silly headset system? Where is the fun in that? Maybe if you like getting beaten by some asthmatic stranger in Korea, but how can an asthmatic stranger in Korea possibly replace the interaction of my best friends?

Fappy

\[T]/
May 1, 2020
Country
United States
I've been seeing these kinds of articles for years now and I still don't understand why the industry hasn't taken notice... we want our local multiplayer back dammit!

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
I agree with almost everything, except for:
"Shooters are hardcore."
"Just about everything else is casual."
*facepalm*

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Pandalisk said:
Thank GOD! for Pacific Rifts 4-player Splitscreen, hours of fun were had because of it.
Too right, complete carnage and mayhem ensued. Some of the most fun I've had multipayer-wise this generation.

I never really got into the LAN parties until fairly recently because I was never really able to afford a machine that could really run most of the games. What I did have, though, was a SNES and NES (Duck Hunt FTW). Split screen and local multiplayer holds some of my fondest memories growing up, like the Desert World in Super Mario Bros 3, or Super Mario Kart. Maybe I'm just looking at it through nostalgia goggles, but I'd be a lying bastard if I didn't say I think they should bring local multiplayer back.

Niveama

Mar 23, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
With giant HD TVs more and more common you'd think the technology is perfect for split screen gaming.
I totally agree with this article and thread, but especially this part, back in the day me and my friends would play quake 2 on the PS1 well into the night on a mid sized CRT TV and it was strain-o-vision experience, yet we did it time and time again cos nothing beats shooting your mate in the head and then laughing in his face about it.

If games can't support multiple players on 1 console why the hell to the consolses support so many controllers.

Props to nintendo for bucking the trend once more.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
We're in the middle of a mistake. Games are abandoning local multiplayer in favor of online experiences,
...I don't think I've seen an article reach so much truth so quickly.

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
HG131 said:
Who's opposing online play? I can't think of a single person who has ever supported split screen instead of online, what we all want is split screen and online to both be available.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Honestly? Local multiplayer is great IF you know alot of friends who want to do it. I really don't. Hell, I have maybe 2 friends I know who are gamers - and honestly, I don't really like'em enough to want to invite them to my house, heh.

Raffica

Jan 24, 2010
Come to think of it, Red Faction II (which is a seriously underrated game for it's lulz value), had both multiplayer splitscreen, and added bots for multiplayer, to you could have the (there) regular 6-player (team)deathmatches, with anywhere between 1-4 real people.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
PREACH! Split screen is always a great option! My friends and I were sorely disappointed when we all got together to play Halo 3 split-screen/system link, and found out the co-op mode only supports two players on each system. We spent the rest of the evening playing deathmatch, which was fine I guess, but we were really looking forward to sharing the campaign experience and didn't want to leave anyone behind. Also Borderlands would be most excellent if it included split-screen/system-link simultaneously. And arcade start-in, every game should have that. If I want to add a player to a game, all they should have to do is pick up a controller and press start.

UtopiaV1

Feb 8, 2009
I love bots. I love split-screen (especially coop). Now that all those features are slowly disappearing (in a new age of parallax mapping and advanced tessellation, no less), I can draw only one conclusion...

Games companies hate me, and want me to suffer. :(

Mighty Lighty

Mar 23, 2009
WHAT THE HELL CALL OF JUAREZ yu choose one of the two characters then have the on you din`t choose following you around for the whole game with only one instance where you are alone

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
I'm glad that split screen coop still lives. Some developers keep it in for just that reason. (The reason being to keep it alive.) Such is the case with Borderlands.

As for bots:

Now, with the advent of online console gaming, and especially the rise of "ranking systems"...there's little call for bots now.

[sub]I like them, too.[/sub]

I agree. However I wish more games had split-screen Co-Op. I'm not getting Battlefield 2 since I've heard it doesn't for example. Furthermore I think that more racing games should take the example of Motorstorm. I mean I got Gran Turismo 5: Prologue and there's only 1v1 head to head multiplayer. I my opinion...that sucks.

So yeah here's to hoping they are right and local multiplayer will be back (with a vengeance)!

Video Gone

Feb 7, 2009
HG131 said:
Gamepeople aren't opposing online, they're merely suggesting that split-screen not be thrown out of the van halfway along the trip.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I've been yammering on about this for ages, and one of my main arguments for why MW2 is good. It has the best offline multiplayer of any game in a very long time.

Nothing beats pizza+beer+MW2+friends. At least nothing gaming related. Execpt for that nympho woman.

shemoanscazrex3

Mar 24, 2010
I always bring this up but finally someone sees it like I do. There are rarely non online multiplayer games let alone split screen. Take Burnout Paradise for instance in order to play with a friend you have over your house you need to pony up 10 bucks. You would think since TVs are wider there would be more split screen games sigh.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
I miss bots :(

I remember playing I think AVP2 (one of the AVP games) and discovered it didn't have bots, was a massive shame, my friends and I use to enjoy playing 4 marines against a horde of aliens.

I hate playing with strangers online, I'd much rather play with a handful of friends against a bunch of bots.

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
I agree with what you're saying , but honestly , some games are getting very complex , mainly graphic-wise so if you don't have a huge tv ( I don't ) it can get pretty difficult to focus .
I often get headaches when trying Gears of War , MW or Resident Evil 5 on local.

Undead_David

Nov 27, 2009
Heres my two cents on the whole thing.
With consoles now with really bad ass hardware and the tech for splitscreen, bots, and LAN being all old school programing it would not be very hard to slap on. There is no online versus LAN here though since one of the greatest online games of the previous console generation was also the greatest LAN game, that game being Halo 2. I remember the excitement of of reading up when the PS3 and 360 coming out with it suppourting up to like8 controllers on one console and the PS3 with 2 video outputs. Than the disapointing reality when the most games will give 2 player split screen at most and the ps3 only having one video output.

This article is pretty funny for me because me and a friend of mine were just recently having a discussion about splitscreen and bots being missing from modern games. I honestly think that its a great feature and FPS games would not be where they are today without it. Despite what Halo has become it was the splitscreen LAN'ing king of the previous generation and modern warfare being the online king. Both are great and sell ridiculous amounts of games but it would be nice if a game could integrate all those wonderful missing features from the previous generation.

And on a side note, when the hell will PC developers make a splitscreen game for the PC? Honestly? With quadcore processors and the amazing video cradds and mulit-screen crap like eyefiniti combined with being able to use 360 controllers with most any pc game there is no excuse. I bet if someone made a well developed game for the PC that did this you just might see PC revive as a very viable platform. Just think of how nice it would be to play next gen games and NOT have to buy a bunch of controllers ever generation lol

silentsentinel

Mar 16, 2008
One of my best video game memories was playing Earth Defense Force 2017 split screen. That game was a hoot.

R4di4ti0n.

Sep 11, 2009
The only reason I want people over my house playing games is if its RockBand. Otherwise, I only want to see you online. There is no reason that i should play with 1 - 3 friend(s) in the same room, with 12 - 14 bots (which, are nothing more than just movable aimhax with various degrees of planned misses) when i can play online with 16 friends and trash talk all of them at the same time.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Bots and lan are the way. The real way and the only way. Red Alert 3 and star wars battlefront 2 did it right. "Coincidently" enough those are 2 of my favourite games.

Z(ombie)fan

Mar 12, 2010
multiplayer at all kinda sucks...

but splitscreen IS better.

personally i wish games completely forgot what MP was...

Flamingpenguin

Nov 10, 2009
I salute you!!! Splitscreen was a great idea. I'm moving in the near future and I was thinking about setting up xbox live in my new house (The place I'm at now, it would be way too expensive), but if more games I liked just had splitscreen I wouldn't have to worry about setting up the cables to my box and paying for live gold. I could just have a few friends come over. I bet hoarde on Gears of War 2 is fun with a full party of guys sitting right next to you rather than alone in a dark room.

So once again, I salute you!

Mr. Blik

Apr 14, 2009
some of the best times in my life have been when my friend and I just mess around on Halo 2 multiplayer. the miniature screen is worth the memories.

p3t3r

Apr 16, 2009
i love split screen best ever i was playing MW2 split screen yesterday way better than online.

Alias42

Sep 10, 2009
I totally agree! It sucks if your having people over and the only thing you can do is let ONE person play while the rest watches or decides this sucks and goes and get drunk.

Game People

Jan 5, 2010
In all honesty, Gears of War is one game that stays true to the couch-co-op and even couch-multiplayer.

I enjoy it and it should never ever be eliminated.

ObsessiveSketch

Nov 6, 2009
I always hated split-screen. The brawlers and fighting games are best; no 'screen-watching,' no squinting at itty-bitty HUDs squished into the corner...I do miss LAN gaming though.
That Starcraft 2 doesn't support LAN is a pretty bad blow, considering my roommate and I are both RTS players. Now we have to go through the whole online Battle.net thing, just to connect to the person sitting 8 ft away.
I never had much experience with bots. I know that Valve is trying something with TF2. It's not perfect, but they're tweaking it based on gamer input, so at least that's something.

mobsterlobster

Sep 13, 2009
I very rarely play online multiplayer because I like playing with people I know, and it's hard enough knowing enough people who have the same system and the same game as me. So I enjoy it when my friends come round and we can all play together, in the same room, drinking and talking together. We hardly ever play on the Xbox 360 now. If there's two of us, fine, Left 4 Dead is fun, but there is no excuse why there's no 4 player local multiplayer for Left 4 Dead. So we play on the Wii. And now my friends want Wiis. They don't want Xbox 360s, they want Wiis.

CowboyfromHell666

Jan 14, 2010
Yeah split screen needs to come back. Not everyone has Xbox Live or PSN to play against other people. Then again, not everyone has 3 friends so they need bots. Both would be great to see as a must feature for FPSes of the future.

Crops

Probably more bored than you
Aug 16, 2009
I firmly believe this is simply marketing sneaking into your games unnoticed.

Like the games that used to be on your mobile phone. Solitaire, minesweeper or whatever.
The last phone I bought had no games, it had 30 second demos and a link to the site where I could go and purchase solitaire, with actual money.

As for the multiplayer issue;
4-player splitscreen is 1 copy sold. No splitscreen probably isn't 4 copies sold, but at least it will be more than 1. Also, everyone playing the game will have paid the full price.
Eventually, we will grow accustomed enough to online play that it becomes a necessity in gaming. Which will be the point where the price of your subscription is tripled.

Other than the income thing, it's also a piracy thing. Forcing people to play online effectively forces them to actually buy the game, or go through a lot of trouble getting the latest "untraceable" console mod that could get your account banned the second the next update hits.

The fact that it took this thread for a lot of people to realise "Hey wait, splitscreen is gone" already shows how much a lot of people really care.
I'll bet the vast majority of gamers (that aren't sharing a console) only own 1 controller per system, except for their Wii perhaps.
Any possible second controller was either given to them for free, is a collectible, or is commonly extremely busy collecting dust.

Shadowflame66

Ex-SOLDIER
Feb 13, 2010
Splinter Cell Conviction has a lot of split-screen co-op stuff, and even a versus mode which is pretty awesome. The main campaign is single-player, however, the co-op campaign is quite long in and of itself, my friend and I only finished about a fourth of it in one sitting.

And besides that there's other modes that are good for replay value because they're not static, like the mode that's player-vs-player but with a bunch of enemies in it as well. All in all it's a pretty good split-screen game, though I wouldn't mind more appearing.

I've always said co-op can improve any game. Why Ininity Ward didn't do full co-op throughout their campaign, when you already have an AI partner in pretty much all missions anyway, I'll never know.

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
I love local multiplayer and local coop, but they both seem to be disappearing and that sucks. I think that's fine if you want online play as well but don't just leave out local, what I think is it's just the companys trying to make a few more sales because now your friends have to buy the game and get online if they want to play with you.

HaloHappy

Sep 7, 2008
We need more games like Gears 2, Perfect Dark, and UT3. Games with offline bots you can play against for people like me without Live. Its not like it wouldn't work with some, any game is better with bots, I hope Bungie add them to Reach as an option.

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
As I've noticed, almost no PS3 exclusives have any split-screen options. They all push the visuals instead, so that having more than one player playing would slow down the PS3 and wouldn't be feasible. I mean, it's fine for me because I rarely have friends over (always go to someone else's, my house sucks), but for other people it must be a pain. Killzone 2 would've been mad with split-screen.

And Uncharted 2's co-op? The perfect recipe for couch awesomeness, but they pushed the visuals so hard that running more than one instance of the game on a screen would implode the PS3. Such a pity.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
I hearken for the days gone by when me and my friends would sit on a tiny couch for 6 hours playing Smash Brother's or Goldeneye. The nameless faceless gamers on XBL are still fun, but it just isn't the same.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
as much as I love some of the experiences found in single player campaigns, at the end of the day, it's the co-op and splitscreen features that really make the game worth keeping...and more recently for me, worth buying at all

HuCast

Aug 18, 2006
Thats why I liked Tom Chicks "Shoot Club" so much. He wrote about the paradise we were thrown out of :(

bob311

Apr 18, 2010
I just read it and i was hit by the reality. it is very sad, i could almost cry. i do believe in online multiplayer very much, but it is nothing compared to the buddy next to me.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
It's good to know I'm not the only one who misses the Split Screen experience. I know the developers (and more to the point, the publishers) want everyone who plays to be forced into buying a copy of the game for themselves, but gaming has always been (and should remain) a social experience.

Online modes are great and all that, but at the end of the day I want to get a friend or two and beat up the Covenant with my friends right by my side the way I did in Halo 1 more than I want to challenge screaming children who apparently never learned how to behave when other people are around.

i.e.:
My best friend calling me a tosser when I blast him with a tank seconds after he respawns onto the battlefield= A-OK superfun goodtimes and laughter for all!

Some 13yr old stranger calling me a tosser (or worse, a cheater) because I beat him fair and square and he can't handle it= A big steaming turd of an evening that will never be very fun.

Game People

Jan 5, 2010
A few responses here, this topic is near and dear to my heart, because I didn't realize how scarce splitscreen had become until I had people over wanting to play a game.

To get more bots in Perfect Dark multiplayer you need to complete the first few challenges. It really takes no time at all. You certainly didn't spend very long working on this problem.

Hellbeast:
Post a video or a screenshot or something. I played Perfect Dark for 10 years off and on and I never had 12 bots. You are full of shit.

donssword:
The Conduit does not offer splitscreen, however, The Conduit 2 will offer 4 person local multiplayer. Like above, unless you can provde me with a really convincing screenshot or video, you are full of shit too, and I play The Conduit ALL the fucking time.

TheColdHeart:
Bots are what I miss most about splitscreen definitely. For the first time on Saturday I played Unreal Tournament 3 on 2 player splitscreen with bots and it was really fun. Timesplitters 2, in my view, had some of the most memorable multiplayer, its really shitty that it is not backwards compatible with Xbox 360, because that is my console of choice I take to all gaming gatherings, that or the Wii.

Irridium:
Goldeneye pulled of 4 player splitscreen, yes, but just barely. If more than 2 grenade explosions were going off at the same time in 4 player splitscreen the game slowed to a crawl that makes 1500+ ping online look like nothing. Perfect Dark was even worse, the game barely functioned running with 4 players.

You would think with all of these advances in technology we would have awesome splitscreen games that play smooth, and I am sure we could if game developers would put them in.

silentsentinel:
Earth Defense Force 2017 has some of the most hilarious physics I have ever had the pleasure to experience.

Hussmann54:
And all imma say is, Mario Kart Wii. It has 2 player splitscreen that can be taken online, as well as 4 player local multiplayer with lots of options like battle mode, teams, etc.

omega247

Apr 12, 2010
Ahh, I remember the good ol' days of all night four player perfect dark sessions (with loads of bots) to the sounds of the Marshall Mathers album :D

Wolfgurl

Apr 2, 2010
I think Gaming should go back to being split-screen for consoles and for PCs it should just stay the same. I think the most annoying thing anymore about multiplayer is the 10 year olds who get on and NEVER SHUT UP.

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
I love playing split-screen Unreal Championship/Tourament with my friends against bots. However, I was over at another friends house right after Battlefield:BC 2 came out. I wanted to play multiplayer, but he informed me that it was one player. Multi-player is not supposed to be single player.

I want to find the people who decide to cut split-screen from games and punch them.

OrdinaryGuy

Oct 19, 2009
I miss split-screen and bots too. I was so pissed when I found out that a lot of newer games lacked split-screen support but had online support. At least there are still some out there.

Epigone

Nov 21, 2009
Layz92 said:
Yeah I agree it is like they are trying to extract all the parts of games you can do with a friend. I hope there is a resurgence of split screen games.
Friends? I don't understand.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
From my own experiences the problem I found I ended up happening is that everyone started having to have their own TV, their own xbox and no one should be able to see anyone elses screen. What used to be alot of fun became very sterile, I mean I had alot more fun on the original xbox with two tiny screens with everyone huddled around than nowadays where we all are essentially playing xboxlive, just in the same room.

Anyone else found that?

Hyperactiveman

Oct 26, 2008
That whole article is right on the money... I see anticipation for LANs going down both with me and my friends because the latest games are so aimed at loners who find friends on the internet. I will always rank playing games locally with friends on the couch or at a LAN party over playing them online. It's no way near as much fun to do all that matchmaking and party searching just to find games that last no longer than 10 minutes with other players who are... just jerks.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
The publishers don't like split screen or local multiplayer because that allows more than one person to play the game without paying for it, which is "piracy."

Oddly, Nintendo has made exactly 1 gazillion dollars on these "lost sales."

Shynobee

Apr 16, 2009
I found my self asking this same question last month after my brother and I bought Borderlands, and realized that we couldn't play together with our friends online. We had the perfect 4 man team dreamed up, I would snipe, my brother would use Brick, and I had two other friends who'd use the soldier and siren. Then, upon booting up the game, we realized only one person can play at a time. I was let down to say the least.

OaKleIgHy

Nov 10, 2009
Actually I always hated split screens unless they were massive TVs. So I guess given the increasingly large HD screens being common place, it may actually make split screens less annoying then I remember.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks like this. Split screen is awesome, and when there are bots (very rare these days), it's even better. Something else that bothers me is how PC games very, VERY, rarely have split screen. Usually, when they do, it's only available through a hack (L4D, UT3). I don't mind forking out cash for controllers, if that is what is necessary for split-screen on PC. Or is it assumed that all PC gamers are shut-in loners?

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
Whats worse is games half-ass it when they do offer split screen. Gears of War 2 allows only 2 player, and horde is really hard with 2 pepole. MW2's maps are far too large to make 2 people fun. And the fact you can't add bots isn't even weirder.

I hope Halo: Reach and Ghost Recon Future Soldier will help us here.

escapistismal

Nov 8, 2008
indeed i truly missed great split screen games luckly MW2 has 4 player split screen

most awesome games with 4 players were conquers bad fur-day,perfect dark, halo and well the whole list of mario games

Sgt Doom

Jan 30, 2009
I'll be pissed if bots get axed, I don't want to have to deal with other people in video games if they're not within punching distance.

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
i understand the logic. spilt screen litteraly cuts the screen size in half for every person added. and LAN parties are very inconvient since you have to lug multipule systems and tvs with you. So i understand why there trading them in favor of online play but i don't see why they have to cut out the older options all together. is it really so time consuming to keep the option of local co-op or local multiplayer in a game?

I hate online multiplayer. the only reason i played LAN parties is because it was funny as hell to watch your friends reactions as you blew the shit out of each other. some of the best times i can remeber revolved around a group of friends, booze, and a couple of copies of halo 2 (and the tv and systems required to play them)

I out and out refuse to play co-op online. if you don't have a buddy right next to you it's like playing with a bot. the one exception i will make is if you have an honest to goodness friend that doesn't live near you, even then playing online co-op feels like having a pen pal rather than a friend.

Ravek

Aug 6, 2009
Even though Colin McRae Rally 4 can be played over LAN fine, at the semi-annual lanparties I have with my friends we often play it in four player split screen. There's just some magical attraction to crowding around a single pc. Having a screen with 1600 x 1200 pixels, ye olde resolution of 800 x 600 fits in it four times exactly. Hook up two USB keyboards (four people using four keys on a single keyboard is asking for trouble ? hands won't fit and too many simultaneous keypresses will be discarded), and have a great game.

And of course no lanparty is complete without a game of Achtung, die Kurve! It's not even split screen, just six people crowding at a single keyboard and mouse.

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
the_tramp said:

If you have a ps3, Resistance: fall of man has 2 player co-op campiagn's.

MetalMonkey74

Jul 24, 2009
So few split screen titles these days. Its such a pity considering that TV's have gotten significantly bigger than the PS2 days.

Although, i'm grateful for Borderlands, Pixeljunk Monsters, Sonic & Sega AllStars racing, Army of Two, and Trine.

I hope developers look at this thread and stop thinking about amazing graphics, but put some effort into better gameplay and more co-op stuff!!

Anomynous 167

May 6, 2008
Doug said:
Honestly? Local multiplayer is great IF you know alot of friends who want to do it. I really don't. Hell, I have maybe 2 friends I know who are gamers - and honestly, I don't really like'em enough to want to invite them to my house, heh.
This is a post that I think should be recognised.

ALL HAIL THE DUDE THAT DISAGREED!

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
TimeLord said:
I miss bots! Me and my sister used to love playing Red Faction (1+2) in local multiplayer split screen in a team by ourselves against as many enemy bots as possible.

This. Even game I know from 2001 and 2004 have no bots or splitscreen, it's starting to really annoy me. I oughta stock up on obscure PS2 games... got any recommendations?

Game People

Jan 5, 2010
I miss the times when me and my Dad would do slip-screen Formula 1 or Fifa together. Whilst I did hate having a smaller area to look at nostalgia has come back to remind me of a time where games were more exclusive. Although I have found online gaming allows me to stay in touch with friends easier.

Kinichie

Penguin Overlord
Jun 18, 2008
While I have been an avid critic of Halo 3, the lack of bots makes it that much less enjoyable when you're unable to connect your 360 to the internet. Meaning with only two controllers it's a constant duel.

Roll on Timesplitters!

Zodiac_A17

Feb 2, 2010
The best split screen (for overall) was Perfect Dark on the N64, just a fun game with friends or bots and loads of weapons

PseudoDuck

Bacon Robot
Oct 18, 2009
An example of one thing I don't like:

Distinct local and online multiplayer. The Call of Duty games are the worst for this. You can play with your friends in the same room. You can play with your friends online. But you can't play with both at once.

But Halo 3 allows this. Play with your friends locally, then take your party of friends online from the same console - you and your mates in the same room can play against other people (friends or strangers) online. Call of Duty is a step backwards in multiplayer integration.

FinalFreak16

Mar 23, 2010
I'm so glad this article was posted. Just a couple days ago I had a few of my mates over and we had barely anything to play other than FIFA.

I had to get my mate to bring his copy of Motostorm Pacific Rift so we could actually play a racing game together, which by the way is incredibly fun with 4 player plus 8 CPU's.

Rag Doll Kung Fu also offered an hour or so of 4 player histerical madness. Good times.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
While I never used to play a lot of split-screen games back in my time, the ones that I did play were usually more enjoyable than an online experience. LAN has also always been a big part of how I like to play, and I'm very disappointed when I hear that games like StarCraft 2 are not going to include them (I think it even needs you to log on to play the single-player mode, which is just ridiculous).

The worst part is, yes, most gamers aren't going to put their hands up and avoid buying these games. Why? Because many of them are highly anticipated, especially when concerning sequels to games (like StarCraft 2) that people have been waiting to get their hands on for years!

I don't know about you all, but I for one would love to see the return of split-screens and LAN support.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
It awful. They assume that we all have steady fast internet and that we're willing to shell out extra cash to play online (in Xbox's case) and it's just not worth it. Like Yahtzee has said I think (and probably many others) multiplayer is more fun when you can hit your friend for being a d-bag in the game. And about the whole bots thing, you can't tell me that it's too hard to make realistic enemies to play against. It's more just more money if more people have to buy the game to play with each other

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
PoisonUnagi said:
TimeLord said:

This. Even game I know from 2001 and 2004 have no bots or splitscreen, it's starting to really annoy me. I oughta stock up on obscure PS2 games... got any recommendations?
Timesplitters 2 and Red Faction 1+2 are the only ones that come to mind at the moment

Game People

Jan 5, 2010
If it doesn't have split screen multiplayer, I dont buy it (if its a shooter), This is the only reason I dont own Battlefield Bad company 2, since it has no split screen, to me its bargin bin or nothing.

Javarino

Mar 15, 2010
I dont even HAVE xbox live. I played ghost recon 1and2 with my father and brother split screen and it was one of my favorite experiences. Also, they didn't just make it player vs player they added a hunting mode that let you actually track down and kill AI. With an actual secondary campaign built for multiplayer, I think ghost recon had the right idea, I just wish other games would come back to it.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
The only time I truly prefer "splitscreen" co-op or multiplayer is when I play a fighting game for the simple reason that since most fighting games today rely on elaborate combo strings for maximum damage, the inherent lag of online play makes it difficult to pull off certain attacks or even notations. And of course there are some tactics that only work offline and vice-versa.

As it stands, the only shooters I play online are L4D2 and Borderlands, and I only play with people on my friends list for that. For those types of games, given how frantic they can and often do get, playing online has an advantage over local splitscreen since you have a wider range of view, especially since most companies are abandoning toggling between horizontal and vertical notations (largely in favor of the former).

Just my (-twenty)two cents.

Byrn Stuff

Nov 16, 2009
I remember being so pumped after I beat Crackdown. I invited my friends over to play with me because I had just downloaded the free four player multiplayer patch. I discovered -- long after everyone else, I'm sure -- that many games these days don't support local four player games.

DeASplode

Nov 26, 2009
razormint21 said:
It really bugs me that splitscreen is slowly being phased out.
Considering that TV's are getting the widescreen treatment and have respectable sizes already...
What annoys me now is that in some games, instead of cutting the screen horizontal or vertical some games give the players a tiny box each to play with.

COD WAW did this, Resident Evil 5 did it as well on my LCD TV, but I swear that on a normal def TV it was just normal Split Screen...

At the very least, if games are focusing so much on online play, atleast put Online, LAN and Split Screen CO-OP into the game. The other player doesn't have to effect the story at all, they can be a clone of Player One for all I care. There's just not enough games that support CO-OP be it Online or not.

Call Of Jaurez 2 could have so used CO-OP, considering it had the "Don't let yer pardner die on yez" critical mission on basically every mission.

I just think any game with a form of CO-OP will be brilliant. I wasn't too fond of Doom 3 Singleplayer but CO-OP? Man those were the days.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Totally agree. Halo was so fun in Split Screen, and this was what made Golden Eye so good in the first place anyway.

Hope this changes!

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
TimeLord said:

Well, Gears of War 2 has bots so it's not completely dead.

offalimb

Nov 30, 2009
psrdirector said:
If it doesn't have split screen multiplayer, I dont buy it (if its a shooter), This is the only reason I dont own Battlefield Bad company 2, since it has no split screen, to me its bargin bin or nothing.
It's kind of the same thing for me too. I'm a PC gamer so it's all about LAN support for me.

I was so excited when I learned that Bad Company 2 was coming to the PC. The thoughts of the fun and laughs as couple of my friends and I battled with droves of mindless bots (as we have done so often in Battlefield 2) through nearly 100% destructible environments. Then I learn that there is exactly ZERO lan support. As soon as I learned that it was scratched off my list. Here's hoping that Battlefield 3 (if it ever happens) uses that beautiful Frostbite engine and has LAN support.

I'm glad I'm not the only out there that's lamenting the diminishing LAN/local multiplayer support that's been happening lately.

xuldinga

Aug 31, 2009
I wish more games would support split screen w/ online play. I tried playing Border Lands with my girlfriend on line with some friends of ours and I was severely disappointed when we found out SS wasn't supported online. We both had gold memberships too, so I know that wasn't a issue.

I found a used xbox really cheap, but found out it was banned from Live. So I tried doing system link and bought several copies of Saint's Row II, Crack down, and Left4Dead. I got the first 2 to work nice on system link, but Left4Dead is complaining that the versions don't match. I assume its because my original xbox has all sorts patches and updates. Sine the other xbox can't get online, should I just sell my other copy or is there a way to get the patch to it via thumb drive?

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Timesplitters 2, 007 Agent under Fire and Nightfire, Medal of Honor.... I continue to play these with my friends because they are so much damn fun. It easier to bond with friends when you are in the same room. I like online gameplay but I still believe multiplayer is better when all combatants are in the same room (and thus capable of throwing pillows or cats at you, all in good fun). I rarely play TF2 anymore because it is more fun to go crazy as a Monkey in Timesplitters 2. Sorry Valve.

Jacob.pederson

Jul 25, 2006
Diligent said:
I think split screen games are a soon to be a thing of the past. Maybe its just the people I know, but I have a hard time finding anybody willing to play a game when its squished into the tunnel vision of 1/2 or 1/4 of a screen. Especially when it is included like Gears of War, and there is no option to make the split vertical, which to me would make much more sense on a widescreen TV.
Local multiplayer is still awesome though, and I'm pretty confident it wont go away. Maybe when hardware is powerful enough, and monitors are super cheap, game consoles will have the option to plug in up to 4 monitors or TVs doing away with split screen, and keeping all your friends in the room to play.
I'm gonna pick on you, but it's not just you, a LOT of people want that dang verticle split. Here is why it sucks. Periphial vision is absolutely key in first person shooters. Without it, you don't know who is shooting you, and you don't know who to shoot. I made the sorry mistake of playing through the entire Vegas 2 coop campaign in verticle split. AND omg was I ill from it. Screen real-estate is not the issue, as we played on my 160 inch projection screen. . . but 8:9 is not an acceptable screen ratio! The 16:5 split does feel a little wierd at first, but play through Gears 1 or 2 and then try to go back to Vegas. I dare you.

Callust

Jan 13, 2009
Back in the day, 16 player Halo 2 LANs with 4 xboxes and 4 tvs were a blast. We did that for years.

The problem with using xbox live with my friends is, we live out in the country, and half of us either don't have 360s or don't have access to a good high-speed internet service. So, the only way we can play games together is a combination of split-screen and system link gameplay for the four of us, whether it's a game with 4 player splitscreen like Worms 2 Armageddon (great for 4 people) or Rock Band 2, or we get two 360s and two TVs system-linked together for some 4-player co-op (like in Gears of War 2's horde mode or Left 4 Dead 2 or Halo 3).

System link being available with splitscreen is important to us; a game's no good for local multiplayer if you have to choose between split screen or using system link (like with Borderlands or Rainbow Six: Vegas 2); you end up either having two players on one console or one player on each of two consoles, and you still have two friends left out of the loop.

There is a catch with modern split-screen gaming we don't like, and that's how graphics-intensive everything's getting nowadays. For example, in Halo 3, with all the shrubbery lying around, it's hard to pick out players versus environment looking at a small screen in splitscreen; versus, say, Perfect Dark.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
I'd kinda like to see both. Sure, I love the friends gatehring around the tv(s) for the night and we make jokes and everything but, I do like to expand it sometimes and make jokes and pplay with an anonymous stranger.

I'd like really what the article says in the end. Something like any console connects even wiytth handhelds for any game for multiplayer. Then maybe the console wars will end and we can finally stop that stupid crap.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
There was a period in my life, between Doom and Devil May Cry where I basically did no PC or console-based gaming. Other than a few very brief stretches for Diablo, Arcanum and Vampire: Redemption (don't ask). I didn't seem to have a lot of time for video games in undergrad, except for steadily declining arcade machines, mostly fighters and Silent Scope in the campus lounge.

Needless to say, I never got into online gaming, and still don't see the appeal of it. I prefer MP games with people in the same room as me. I do prefer brawlers, fighters or beat-'em-ups for this, but I wouldn't mind the occasional split-screen shooter or racer. It seems kind of silly now that widescreen HD has become the standard and split-screen is actually able to give you a workable amount of screen real estate that no one's taking advantage of that. Instead, we're getting beautiful widescreen vistas where you can't see the thing that's about to kill you because the camera sucks--progress!

nick n stuff

Nov 19, 2009
we need bots back. time splitters was amazing and COD would be so good without the lame ass mofos on the other consoles.

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
Jacob.pederson said:
Diligent said:
I'm gonna pick on you, but it's not just you, a LOT of people want that dang verticle split. Here is why it sucks. Periphial vision is absolutely key in first person shooters. Without it, you don't know who is shooting you, and you don't know who to shoot. I made the sorry mistake of playing through the entire Vegas 2 coop campaign in verticle split. AND omg was I ill from it. Screen real-estate is not the issue, as we played on my 160 inch projection screen. . . but 8:9 is not an acceptable screen ratio! The 16:5 split does feel a little wierd at first, but play through Gears 1 or 2 and then try to go back to Vegas. I dare you.
That's a fair point. I think my only other experience with vertical split screen was back in the PS2 era anyway when we didn't have widescreen TV's, so perhaps I'm talking out of my ass. I will say that the want for the vertical split came up because during co-op in Gears of War you can't see where you're bloody grenades are going to land half the time when you need to aim up to get distance. But I guess in the battle between peripheral vision and accurate grenades there is a clear winner :).

Grimlock Fett

Apr 14, 2010
I was playing CODMW2 free for all recently with 4player split screen and I have to admit that I hadnt had that much fun playing multiplayer since Goldeneye! "STOP WATCHING MY SCREEN!!"
"I CANT HELP IT HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!" Good times!

Legendsmith

Mar 9, 2010
I agree. I'm astounded by the fact that so many games' don't have SS.
L4D2 and L4D both have split screen on XBox360 and even PC. Yep, since they use the same engine you can play SS on your PC. All you need is 2 360 or other compatible controllers or, if you have time, 1 controller, a few downloads and a keyboard and mouse.

dnose

Nov 5, 2009
I love split-screen and hate that a great game with SS is hard to find. The one large exception (which I can't believe was omitted from the article) is Gears of War. More games need to have both split screen and online multiplayer.

phoenixbeast

Apr 14, 2009
Split screen/ Local co-op is an absolute joy to me...When I was younger sleepovers were amazing just because of this...You get everyone to bring a controller if need be and stay up all night having a blast...

What really makes me sad is that the focus has gone from split screen/ Local co-op to online...That whole argument of now you can play with your friends who are gone is NO JUSTIFICATION for dropping split screen support...Sure include that option for playing with friends who are gone, but do not assume that I won't want to play in the same room if I still can...

Sadly, as this article and many people here have pointed out, no one is noticing this...I walk into Blockbuster with my friends and we browse the shelves looking for good local split screen/ Local co-op like we used to enjoy...It's depressing to constantly tell them that it's online only multiplayer or just to of us dueling...And then some people I know not realizing that Starcraft 2 was not going to have LAN support...

I own a copy of New Super Mario Bros. Wii...Say what you want about the wonky physics and bumping into each other, but one thing is for certain, online in that game would have been hell...However local co-op is an absolute blast...I played the game with a friend...The two of us had some great laughs with picking up and throwing and the like...Then for the first time in a LONG time, I played the game with my mom, dad, and brother...My mom and dad hadn't played a game with me since Super Mario World (We would take turns on lives), and this brought us straight back to those times with all of the laughs that had been long forgotten (Including throwing my brother into a pit of lava)...Then I played through it with 3 friends at college...Same thing, we all enjoyed something we had forgotten, how much fun it is to play with, tease, and laugh at, and kill a person in the same room as you...

CAW4

Feb 7, 2009
If you want your N64's split screen back, you better be willing to bring the N64 graphics back with it. Doing everything twice (or 3 or 4 times, depending on players) for the different people on the same console isn't exactly easy for the console. Plus, most people would prefer to stay at their house, have a full screen to play on, and no be uncomfortably hogging the same screen and having their game ruined by screen lookers. And the developers are taking away from the entire game for the small minority of players who want this.