The Day the Multiplayer Died

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
HG131 said:
SplitScreen is cool and all, but being overdramatic is just going to make me, and many others, oppose you. I really don't care about SS much, as I don't have a bunch of nearby friends. Online allows you to talk to people around the world. Why oppose that?
Who's opposing online play? I can't think of a single person who has ever supported split screen instead of online, what we all want is split screen and online to both be available.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Honestly? Local multiplayer is great IF you know alot of friends who want to do it. I really don't. Hell, I have maybe 2 friends I know who are gamers - and honestly, I don't really like'em enough to want to invite them to my house, heh.

Raffica

Jan 24, 2010
Come to think of it, Red Faction II (which is a seriously underrated game for it's lulz value), had both multiplayer splitscreen, and added bots for multiplayer, to you could have the (there) regular 6-player (team)deathmatches, with anywhere between 1-4 real people.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
PREACH! Split screen is always a great option! My friends and I were sorely disappointed when we all got together to play Halo 3 split-screen/system link, and found out the co-op mode only supports two players on each system. We spent the rest of the evening playing deathmatch, which was fine I guess, but we were really looking forward to sharing the campaign experience and didn't want to leave anyone behind. Also Borderlands would be most excellent if it included split-screen/system-link simultaneously. And arcade start-in, every game should have that. If I want to add a player to a game, all they should have to do is pick up a controller and press start.

UtopiaV1

Feb 8, 2009
I love bots. I love split-screen (especially coop). Now that all those features are slowly disappearing (in a new age of parallax mapping and advanced tessellation, no less), I can draw only one conclusion...

Games companies hate me, and want me to suffer. :(

Mighty Lighty

Mar 23, 2009
WHAT THE HELL CALL OF JUAREZ yu choose one of the two characters then have the on you din`t choose following you around for the whole game with only one instance where you are alone

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
I'm glad that split screen coop still lives. Some developers keep it in for just that reason. (The reason being to keep it alive.) Such is the case with Borderlands.

As for bots:

Now, with the advent of online console gaming, and especially the rise of "ranking systems"...there's little call for bots now.

[sub]I like them, too.[/sub]

I agree. However I wish more games had split-screen Co-Op. I'm not getting Battlefield 2 since I've heard it doesn't for example. Furthermore I think that more racing games should take the example of Motorstorm. I mean I got Gran Turismo 5: Prologue and there's only 1v1 head to head multiplayer. I my opinion...that sucks.

So yeah here's to hoping they are right and local multiplayer will be back (with a vengeance)!

Video Gone

Feb 7, 2009
HG131 said:
SplitScreen is cool and all, but being overdramatic is just going to make me, and many others, oppose you. I really don't care about SS much, as I don't have a bunch of nearby friends. Online allows you to talk to people around the world. Why oppose that?
Gamepeople aren't opposing online, they're merely suggesting that split-screen not be thrown out of the van halfway along the trip.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I've been yammering on about this for ages, and one of my main arguments for why MW2 is good. It has the best offline multiplayer of any game in a very long time.

Nothing beats pizza+beer+MW2+friends. At least nothing gaming related. Execpt for that nympho woman.

shemoanscazrex3

Mar 24, 2010
I always bring this up but finally someone sees it like I do. There are rarely non online multiplayer games let alone split screen. Take Burnout Paradise for instance in order to play with a friend you have over your house you need to pony up 10 bucks. You would think since TVs are wider there would be more split screen games sigh.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
I miss bots :(

I remember playing I think AVP2 (one of the AVP games) and discovered it didn't have bots, was a massive shame, my friends and I use to enjoy playing 4 marines against a horde of aliens.

I hate playing with strangers online, I'd much rather play with a handful of friends against a bunch of bots.

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
I agree with what you're saying , but honestly , some games are getting very complex , mainly graphic-wise so if you don't have a huge tv ( I don't ) it can get pretty difficult to focus .
I often get headaches when trying Gears of War , MW or Resident Evil 5 on local.

Undead_David

Nov 27, 2009
Heres my two cents on the whole thing.
With consoles now with really bad ass hardware and the tech for splitscreen, bots, and LAN being all old school programing it would not be very hard to slap on. There is no online versus LAN here though since one of the greatest online games of the previous console generation was also the greatest LAN game, that game being Halo 2. I remember the excitement of of reading up when the PS3 and 360 coming out with it suppourting up to like8 controllers on one console and the PS3 with 2 video outputs. Than the disapointing reality when the most games will give 2 player split screen at most and the ps3 only having one video output.

This article is pretty funny for me because me and a friend of mine were just recently having a discussion about splitscreen and bots being missing from modern games. I honestly think that its a great feature and FPS games would not be where they are today without it. Despite what Halo has become it was the splitscreen LAN'ing king of the previous generation and modern warfare being the online king. Both are great and sell ridiculous amounts of games but it would be nice if a game could integrate all those wonderful missing features from the previous generation.

And on a side note, when the hell will PC developers make a splitscreen game for the PC? Honestly? With quadcore processors and the amazing video cradds and mulit-screen crap like eyefiniti combined with being able to use 360 controllers with most any pc game there is no excuse. I bet if someone made a well developed game for the PC that did this you just might see PC revive as a very viable platform. Just think of how nice it would be to play next gen games and NOT have to buy a bunch of controllers ever generation lol

silentsentinel

Mar 16, 2008
One of my best video game memories was playing Earth Defense Force 2017 split screen. That game was a hoot.

R4di4ti0n.

Sep 11, 2009
The only reason I want people over my house playing games is if its RockBand. Otherwise, I only want to see you online. There is no reason that i should play with 1 - 3 friend(s) in the same room, with 12 - 14 bots (which, are nothing more than just movable aimhax with various degrees of planned misses) when i can play online with 16 friends and trash talk all of them at the same time.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Bots and lan are the way. The real way and the only way. Red Alert 3 and star wars battlefront 2 did it right. "Coincidently" enough those are 2 of my favourite games.

Z(ombie)fan

Mar 12, 2010
multiplayer at all kinda sucks...

but splitscreen IS better.

personally i wish games completely forgot what MP was...

Flamingpenguin

Nov 10, 2009
I salute you!!! Splitscreen was a great idea. I'm moving in the near future and I was thinking about setting up xbox live in my new house (The place I'm at now, it would be way too expensive), but if more games I liked just had splitscreen I wouldn't have to worry about setting up the cables to my box and paying for live gold. I could just have a few friends come over. I bet hoarde on Gears of War 2 is fun with a full party of guys sitting right next to you rather than alone in a dark room.

So once again, I salute you!

Mr. Blik

Apr 14, 2009
some of the best times in my life have been when my friend and I just mess around on Halo 2 multiplayer. the miniature screen is worth the memories.