The Day the Multiplayer Died

Wolfgurl

Apr 2, 2010
I think Gaming should go back to being split-screen for consoles and for PCs it should just stay the same. I think the most annoying thing anymore about multiplayer is the 10 year olds who get on and NEVER SHUT UP.

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
I love playing split-screen Unreal Championship/Tourament with my friends against bots. However, I was over at another friends house right after Battlefield:BC 2 came out. I wanted to play multiplayer, but he informed me that it was one player. Multi-player is not supposed to be single player.

I want to find the people who decide to cut split-screen from games and punch them.

OrdinaryGuy

Oct 19, 2009
I miss split-screen and bots too. I was so pissed when I found out that a lot of newer games lacked split-screen support but had online support. At least there are still some out there.

Epigone

Nov 21, 2009
Layz92 said:
Yeah I agree it is like they are trying to extract all the parts of games you can do with a friend. I hope there is a resurgence of split screen games.
Friends? I don't understand.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
From my own experiences the problem I found I ended up happening is that everyone started having to have their own TV, their own xbox and no one should be able to see anyone elses screen. What used to be alot of fun became very sterile, I mean I had alot more fun on the original xbox with two tiny screens with everyone huddled around than nowadays where we all are essentially playing xboxlive, just in the same room.

Anyone else found that?

Hyperactiveman

Oct 26, 2008
That whole article is right on the money... I see anticipation for LANs going down both with me and my friends because the latest games are so aimed at loners who find friends on the internet. I will always rank playing games locally with friends on the couch or at a LAN party over playing them online. It's no way near as much fun to do all that matchmaking and party searching just to find games that last no longer than 10 minutes with other players who are... just jerks.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
The publishers don't like split screen or local multiplayer because that allows more than one person to play the game without paying for it, which is "piracy."

Oddly, Nintendo has made exactly 1 gazillion dollars on these "lost sales."

Shynobee

Apr 16, 2009
I found my self asking this same question last month after my brother and I bought Borderlands, and realized that we couldn't play together with our friends online. We had the perfect 4 man team dreamed up, I would snipe, my brother would use Brick, and I had two other friends who'd use the soldier and siren. Then, upon booting up the game, we realized only one person can play at a time. I was let down to say the least.

OaKleIgHy

Nov 10, 2009
Actually I always hated split screens unless they were massive TVs. So I guess given the increasingly large HD screens being common place, it may actually make split screens less annoying then I remember.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks like this. Split screen is awesome, and when there are bots (very rare these days), it's even better. Something else that bothers me is how PC games very, VERY, rarely have split screen. Usually, when they do, it's only available through a hack (L4D, UT3). I don't mind forking out cash for controllers, if that is what is necessary for split-screen on PC. Or is it assumed that all PC gamers are shut-in loners?

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
Whats worse is games half-ass it when they do offer split screen. Gears of War 2 allows only 2 player, and horde is really hard with 2 pepole. MW2's maps are far too large to make 2 people fun. And the fact you can't add bots isn't even weirder.

I hope Halo: Reach and Ghost Recon Future Soldier will help us here.

escapistismal

Nov 8, 2008
indeed i truly missed great split screen games luckly MW2 has 4 player split screen

most awesome games with 4 players were conquers bad fur-day,perfect dark, halo and well the whole list of mario games

Sgt Doom

Jan 30, 2009
I'll be pissed if bots get axed, I don't want to have to deal with other people in video games if they're not within punching distance.

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
i understand the logic. spilt screen litteraly cuts the screen size in half for every person added. and LAN parties are very inconvient since you have to lug multipule systems and tvs with you. So i understand why there trading them in favor of online play but i don't see why they have to cut out the older options all together. is it really so time consuming to keep the option of local co-op or local multiplayer in a game?

I hate online multiplayer. the only reason i played LAN parties is because it was funny as hell to watch your friends reactions as you blew the shit out of each other. some of the best times i can remeber revolved around a group of friends, booze, and a couple of copies of halo 2 (and the tv and systems required to play them)

I out and out refuse to play co-op online. if you don't have a buddy right next to you it's like playing with a bot. the one exception i will make is if you have an honest to goodness friend that doesn't live near you, even then playing online co-op feels like having a pen pal rather than a friend.

Ravek

Aug 6, 2009
Even though Colin McRae Rally 4 can be played over LAN fine, at the semi-annual lanparties I have with my friends we often play it in four player split screen. There's just some magical attraction to crowding around a single pc. Having a screen with 1600 x 1200 pixels, ye olde resolution of 800 x 600 fits in it four times exactly. Hook up two USB keyboards (four people using four keys on a single keyboard is asking for trouble ? hands won't fit and too many simultaneous keypresses will be discarded), and have a great game.

And of course no lanparty is complete without a game of Achtung, die Kurve! It's not even split screen, just six people crowding at a single keyboard and mouse.

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
the_tramp said:
My housemate and I occasionally rent a game and play through it co-op in one sitting but our choices have been severely limited as of late; we've done Gears of War 1 + 2, Perfect Dark XBLA, Perfect Dark Zero and Army of Two 40 Days.

We nearly got the new Splinter Cell game out but the back said that it was a separate campaign for co-op although the back was quite ambiguous. Can anyone tell me if it is a co-op single player campaign plus an additional small campaign designed for co-op or if it is just a separate tagged on addition a la Modern Warfare 2 which, whilst fun, wasn't exactly the same because it was short 5-10 minute blasts rather than the actual game.
If you have a ps3, Resistance: fall of man has 2 player co-op campiagn's.

MetalMonkey74

Jul 24, 2009
So few split screen titles these days. Its such a pity considering that TV's have gotten significantly bigger than the PS2 days.

Although, i'm grateful for Borderlands, Pixeljunk Monsters, Sonic & Sega AllStars racing, Army of Two, and Trine.

I hope developers look at this thread and stop thinking about amazing graphics, but put some effort into better gameplay and more co-op stuff!!

Anomynous 167

May 6, 2008
Doug said:
Honestly? Local multiplayer is great IF you know alot of friends who want to do it. I really don't. Hell, I have maybe 2 friends I know who are gamers - and honestly, I don't really like'em enough to want to invite them to my house, heh.
This is a post that I think should be recognised.

ALL HAIL THE DUDE THAT DISAGREED!