The degradation of the English language on the Internet

CyberAkuma

Elite Member
Nov 27, 2007

I have English as my 4th language and I have to admit, I do make occasional spelling errors and/or grammar mistakes. This is a common mistake among people whose English is not their mother tongue and generally people don't mind much my mistakes as long as I'm able to form a coherent sentence.

I have to however say that I am disgusted of the constant butchering of the English language on the Internet; by people who DO have English as their native language. This is nothing uncommon to someone who has browsed among the GameTrailers.com forums or GameFaqs boards but to me it is just mind baffling how some English speaking people express their opinion in threads with a massively cluttered and mistreated handling of the English language that would made even make Icanhazcheesburger cringe.

I have on multiple occasions replied e-mails/messages with "What the hell are you trying to say?" and wasting serveral messages and minutes in vain just because I could not for the life of me understand what the hell the recipient was trying to tell me.

Now, I am not pointing fingers here, I'm not free from mistakes myself and to be fairly honest the vast majority of people here on the Escapist have an impressive usage of the English language without any flaws.

What is your opinion? Is there a degradation of the English language online and what are your feelings about it?

Also, let me end this thread by saying i no can write good i am of and not to doing the english for writing and good things i run kitty

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
Considering that not that long ago most the masses couldn't even read and write, I say they've made great progress.

Frankly I couldn't really care about illiterate people on the internet, its not like they will ever reach important positions in life.

zen5887

Jan 31, 2008
Times change.

This has been talked about for ages and I say the same thing every time - Who speaks Shakespearian anymore?

MarcoB

Jun 9, 2009
This guy is pretty funny. He's got a point, but people will continue to talk the same way they always have though. That being however the hell they want.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
zen5887 said:
Times change.

This has been talked about for ages and I say the same thing every time - Who speaks Shakespearian anymore?
Art thou talking to myself?

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
The short answer: Yes, I agree with you.

In general, I've found that the rise in popularity of the internet is indirectly proportional to the ability of the users of the internet to spell correctly.

Thanks to the rise in text usage, people found it easier to speak in "txt spk", and thought it was perfectly alright to use that on the internet as well, where, I might add, contrary to a phone, where you might have a limited time with which to use create and send a message, in general, the internet does not have that limitation.

Second, people on the internet are selfish. They assume everyone can understand "txt spk", or whatever abbreviations they happen to come up with. Its not hard to do - here's an example:

LOLBNR

Anyone know what that means? It means Laughing Out Loud, But Not Really. Why don't you know it? Because I just made it up, right here, right now. And yet, if I was one of the users of "txt spk" I probably would have expected you to know.

In reality, there's no way proper punctuation, grammar and spelling can be enforced on the internet though, which is a shame, although that's just my opinion, which is partially because I'm an English student, and, sooner or later, going to become an English teacher.

Finally, let me say this - the above doesn't apply everywhere. For example, these Forums tend to have a high standard of English, with the odd exception.

Rant Over. Grumble Grumble.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
His entire rant is ruined by the fact it's title is started with "OMG!" The hypocrisy is... Finger licking good.

Also, black and white videos make people who make them look like pretentious dicks. WTF? N00b.

DemonGuy792 said:
Second, people on the internet are selfish. They assume everyone can understand "txt spk", or whatever abbreviations they happen to come up with. Its not hard to do - here's an example:

LOLBNR

Anyone know what that means? It means Laughing Out Loud, But Not Really. Why don't you know it? Because I just made it up, right here, right now. And yet, if I was one of the users of "txt spk" I probably would have expected you to know.
Why would you laugh out loud if it wasn't funny?

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
Chipperz said:
DemonGuy792 said:

LOLBNR

Sarcasm, mainly, I guess. It was just to make a point really, that some people on various forums or messenger systems sometimes make up abbreviations and then expect you to know what they mean.

Or maybe that just happens to me.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
It is quite simple: lazyness + not-caring-ness + anonimity (in some cases) = really shitty spelling and grammar.

VitalSigns

May 20, 2009
Butchering of the English Language - Bad Thing
Grammar Nazi's - MUCH MUCH WORSE

The point of a language is to convey a thought, having someone notice you missed a fucking comma along the way undermines the whole point.

Daedalus_UK

Jul 26, 2008
Pi_Fighter said:
WrongSprite said:
zen5887 said:
Times change.

Art thou talking to mymineself?
Thine query hast commited treason of an order most high.
To the gallows with this heathen, with haste!

VitalSigns said:
Butchering of the English Language - Bad Thing
Grammar Nazi's - MUCH MUCH WORSE

The point of a language is to convey a thought, having someone notice you missed a fucking comma along the way undermines the whole point.
True dat

Although I do believe this guy is getting at people who continually use leet speak and other derogitory forms of the english language such as text speak which I don't personally mind.

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
To be honest I find it quite funny how people can really be so bothered about this. In need of a hobby, maybe?

Nine times out of ten it's just as easy to understand what the person is saying, so just give it a rest, please. The people who actually whine about this stuff are a hundred times more annoying than the people their whining about. I want to strangle people when they will quote a post just to fix a spelling mistake, or disregard someone?s opinion because they say 'u' instead of 'you'.

Try to understand that not everyone cares about their spelling or grammar on the internet; and it doesn't make you better than them, it just means they don't care - and to be honest, why should they? It's just the internet, not an English exam.

Sure, if what they're saying is completely incomprehensible, call them out on it. But don't exaggerate; it really doesn't happen a lot with native English speakers.

As much of a dick it makes me sound like to say this, stop. being. so. damn. geeky.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
DemonGuy792 said:
Chipperz said:
DemonGuy792 said:

LOLBNR

Sarcasm, mainly, I guess. It was just to make a point really, that some people on various forums or messenger systems sometimes make up abbreviations and then expect you to know what they mean.

Or maybe that just happens to me.
YIKIBANB

Or Yeah, I know. I (was) being a nit-picking bastard :p It was a good example!

S.H.A.R.P.

Mar 4, 2009
Sure there's a degradation. Just look at most of the newcomers here, and the quality of their first couple of posts (or in some cases, all of them). Fortunately, most of the ones who stay around develop their skills, and are gently requested by our members to correct their errors. As long we keep it up, the English language has one place where it can feel safe, and is able to take a breather from all the rape and abuse it has suffered.

kaziard

Oct 28, 2008
god that guys voice actually made me want to strangle myself, SO annoying. Anywho, i dont really care who does and doesnt use correct spelling or grammer. I can read almoste everything i see on teh interwebz and even when i cant i rarely care. But then there are some people who can be so anal about it they put me off more than the "OMRfG IARE SO AW3S0ME GIV MEH GOIL PLIOZ" characters.

HateDread

Jan 20, 2009
Lvn da shkespr bru

Eugh. That takes way more time than typing out a properly formatted sentence.

I've noticed I can out-type any of my friends, when they speak in 'txt speak', and I use full sentences. Don't know why :S Texting... not so much.

Anyone else the same?

Daedalus_UK

Jul 26, 2008
HateDread said:
Lvn da shkespr bru

I've noticed I can out-type any of my friends, when they speak in 'txt speak', and I use full sentences. Don't know why :S Texting... not so much.

Anyone else the same?
Yeah it comes from years of training and the ability to actually type without making concessions.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
HateDread said:
Lvn da shkespr bru

Anyone else the same?
Identical.
I always get irritated with my friends as I have to spend several minutes dechiphering their bloody sentences, and it gives me a headache.