The DeLorean Comes Back [In the Future]

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The DeLorean Comes Back [In the Future]

Great Scott! The DeLorean DMC-12 is coming back! [And a Back to the Future car is going up for auction, too.]

For a little awhile, the DeLorean DMC-12 was an automotive curiosity for two simple reasons: gull-wing doors and the criminal charges filed against DeLorean Motor Company founder John DeLorean, who was charged with [and eventually acquitted of] conspiring to smuggle $24 million worth of cocaine into the U.S. But then Marty McFly took one for a spin in Back to the Future [http://www.amazon.com/Back-Future-Anniversary-Trilogy-Digital/dp/B00198X0UO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318880350&sr=8-1], and it very suddenly became one of the most famous and instantly recognizable cars of all time.

That instant fame came too late to keep DeLorean's car company from going kaput in 1982 but now it looks like deep-pocketed auto aficionados will have another crack at the famous machine. The reconstituted DMC, which was founded in 1995 and soon after acquired the rights to the brand and the car, has announced that a new, official, all-electric DMC-12 is slated to begin production in 2013.

Developed in conjunction with Epic EV, the DMC-12 is expected to bring 260 horsepower to the table, for a top speed of 125 MPH and a price tag in the neighborhood of $100,000. The gull-wing doors are expected to remain - they're the signature feature, after all - but where the engine and battery pack will end up is anybody's guess at this point.

And if you can't wait until 2013 to get a new machine, you can take your shot at an old one in December when over 100 props from the Back to the Future franchise go up for auction. Clothing and hoverboards will be on the block but the real prize is the Back to the Future 3 DeLorean, one of only three [out of an original seven] that still survive. Adding to the uniqueness, this particular car is customized for off-road travel; it was made for the scene in which Marty ends up in 1885 and has to flee from a marauding band of Indians. Part of the proceeds from the auction will go to the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research.

Sources: I Heart Chaos [http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/17/dmc-delorean-electric-announced-back-to-the-future/]

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
One of the ugliest and most inefficient cars to ever be created.

Give me it.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Oh, god. I will be in a position to buy this in 2013. I wonder if the insane insurance price will make it worthwhile... ah, who am I kidding? Of course it will!

krychek57

Some Random Dude
Apr 13, 2010
#Followup
http://jalopnik.com/5850448/electric-delorean-first-drive

"It's being developed with the fittingly-named Flux Power, a California battery systems company launched by a co-founder of Aptera. In testing around southern CA, this prototype has had a range of 70 miles "comfortably" and closer to 100 miles when driven extra efficiently. That's Nissan Leaf territory."

I love it!

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
If the manufacture of a new DeLorean isn't enough to get the fourth BTTF film made, I don't know what is.

C'MON! It'd be so perfect!! You could set the film in the 80s and actually have the 2013 car LITERALLY FROM THE FUTURE!

And breathe....

Dapper Tadpole

Oct 12, 2011
Two years after its release they have to - BY LAW - produce a flying model. The space-time continuum depends on it!

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
LavaLampBamboo said:
If the manufacture of a new DeLorean isn't enough to get the fourth BTTF film made, I don't know what is.

C'MON! It'd be so perfect!! You could set the film in the 80s and actually have the 2013 car LITERALLY FROM THE FUTURE!

And breathe....
2 questions:
1) Do you work at Paramount
2) Why not.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Arrrggghhh! Instead of making flying DeLeorens we're making slower electric ones!

I'll take the off-road version, thanks.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Vanguard_Ex said:
LavaLampBamboo said:

And breathe....
2 questions:
2) Why not.
I did, but then I got fired because of the thing with the coke and the hookers...

(Wait for it...)

I thought it'd be irresponsible to spend all our money on those things

Badum-tsch.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
LavaLampBamboo said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
LavaLampBamboo said:

And breathe....
2 questions:
2) Why not.
I did, but then I got fired because of the thing with the coke and the hookers...

(Wait for it...)

I thought it'd be irresponsible to spend all our money on those things

Badum-tsch.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/leah.baconfile.com/zing.jpgM

I literally have no idea why I used such a homoerotic image, sorry.

EDIT: Not that it matters cos it's broken. T__T

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Most of the problems with the DMC-12 was that they were over-weight, under-powered, and pretty expensive for that type of sports car. Problems with the gull-wing doors leaking water and other issues that would make this car horrible besides the Founder's difficulties alone dis-credited it as a good car. It was this infamous legacy that it was chosen for Back to the Future.

I have been fortunate to be given the opportunity to be behind the wheel of an '81 DMC-12. My friends runs the classic car museum in Concord, NC and they have one in the back storage garages across the street. It is definitely a head turner for anyone who drives it.

TitanAura

Jun 30, 2011
Haha, electric. I guess they learned their lesson from the third film not to get stuck in 1885 just because your time machine is out of gas. =P

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
For the price, it's travel range is way too short. Electric cars are getting better, but they aren't there yet. I'll look into buying one when they make one that has a speed of at least 80 mph, a range of at least 200 miles on a charge and a price tag of no more than 25K.

So far, no dice.

znix

Apr 9, 2009
The original at today's price would cost around $60k A much more reasonable price than $100k.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Royas said:
For the price, it's travel range is way too short. Electric cars are getting better, but they aren't there yet. I'll look into buying one when they make one that has a speed of at least 80 mph, a range of at least 200 miles on a charge and a price tag of no more than 25K.

So far, no dice.
Psh.

You want 88 mph.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Tempted. Very tempted. If I'm working an actual career when these come out, I'm certainly going to be looking into it.