The Division Gameplay Demands Teamwork (Update: Story Trailer)

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I find this intellectually insulting. I've never seen a more scripted piece of multiplayer gameplay in my life. Ubisoft really needs to stop treating their customers like fuckin' morons. This footage cemented my decision to not even consider this game or look at any new footage of it. It's dead to me.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Skill, in an Ubisoft game, ahahahahahahahahaha...

Don't make me laugh, it'll be like Assassin's Creed and Watch_Dogs. Sanitised and bland, with too much handholding.

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
I find this intellectually insulting. I've never seen a more scripted piece of multiplayer gameplay in my life. Ubisoft really needs to stop treating their customers like fuckin' morons. This footage cemented my decision to not even consider this game or look at any new footage of it. It's dead to me.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one noticing that. They kept talking about "teamwork" and all the gaming outlets keep saying how great it looks, but from my perspective, I say a lot of AI companions telling the player what they could and couldn't do.

"Let's be sneaky about this" and "ok take the shot" are phrases I never want to be told in a tactical shooter. How about you let me decide how I want to handle the situation, and when I can fire this gun I've been given that the developers are keen to think I'm too irresponsible to use?

What happened to tactical games of yore where you, the player, were actually the one in charge of a group? When the D-Pad (or keyboard equivalent)was delegated to ordering commands to your squad to move to a specific point or to stay behind you and passive? It's just a shame seeing what Tom Clancy games have devolved into.

Also- I was not mentally prepared to see "+108 XP" pop up when the player nailed a headshot. Just...talk about inconsistent tone.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
I'm not sure I'm prepared to, or even interested in, defending Ubisoft but I think at this point in the game's development cycle something as scripted as this isn't inappropriate. I can't imagine they have anything they're prepared to release into the wild as a beta or sample gameplay yet. My assumption with this video is the idea isn't to accurately reflect the chaos of multiplayer (where 'teamwork' doesn't usually unfold this way) so much as to show off potential features and the intended structure of an encounter.

Eh, I'm intrigued. Not crazy over-awed but sure. I'll see where they're heading with it. Honestly I'm more intrigued by what I see here than with what I've seen of Destiny. Still, either one could wind up surprising me.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
... I just... Oh my God. Alright, Ubisoft, If I think that players are A.I. we have a big problem with your "gameplay" video. No one talks like that in a multiplayer shooter, no one acts like that in multiplayer shooter, and no one is that bad[footnote]These are all hyperboles, don't take them as fact[/footnote]. Almost all of my interest has just disappeared in a five minute video. Good job, Ubisoft.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
If this game works and I can find people I enjoy playing with, I think it will be a blast.

But oh man, the communication in that trailer...if my friends talked like that whenever we played together, I would seriously think they were robots.

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
The Division Gameplay Demands Teamwork (Update: Story Trailer)

The Division gameplay trailer and story trailer take back New York.

Read Full Article

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Funny how so many people (who are presumably by and large New Yorkers stranded within the five boroughs) are depicted with shottys and rifles, while we have some of the stricter gun laws in the states. Then again, a game that features a bunch of people fighting one another with baseball bats and tire irons, and a few that have pistols wouldn't make for a very interesting game.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
Is it sad that I noticed none of the 'flaws' that all 9 of the people who commented before me were so outraged by. I only saw a good looking game with an interesting premise, but after reading what's been said I can't help but notice them and wonder if I'm should reign in my excitement over the game.