The Divison PC Port Was Kept "In Check" With Consoles, Says Ubisoft

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
The Divison PC Port Was Kept "In Check" With Consoles, Says Ubisoft

Ubisoft says that while it could make the PC version look nicer, it would be unfair to the console editions.

Today, an Ubisoft developer has come out and admitted what people have assumed to be the case about PC versions of multiplatform titles for a long time: consoles are holding them back. In a The Division [https://youtu.be/P0ufksZxTWQ] stated that while it is nice to have a dedicated PC development team this time around, the game still has to be kept in line with the console releases.

"One good thing about The Division is we've always considered the PC as a separate platform," said the developer. "We do have to keep it in check with the consoles; it would be kind of unfair to push it so far away from them. But it's been good having a dedicated PC build for this game."

That said, the PC version of the game will still come with quite a few exclusive features, including many more graphical options that take advantage of high-end PCs. Additionally, Xbox One and PS4 users will also be given a suite of graphical options (though not quite as substantive), allowing players to choose whether they want shinier graphics, or a higher frame rate.

[gallery=5654]

What do you think about this? Should Ubisoft just let the developers of the PC port go wild and make the game as good as possible? Or is keeping it in line with the console releases the only fair thing for everyone?

Following multiple delays [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140770-The-Division-Delayed-to-2016], The Division's release is now scheduled for March 8.

Source: NeoGAF [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1180593]

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
As a filthy console peasant I have no problem with this.Hell charging console owners more for the same game is enough of a dick move without charging more for an inferior version

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
So enforcing platform parity on top of the news that [a href=http://archive.is/hHTsV#selection-601.0-607.320]they've changed their TOS so that all mods of their games are their property[/a]. I mean, it's not like Ubisoft doesn't [a href=http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/100/1002905/2568202-8600879110-yGCQW.jpg]have a history of hating PC users[/a], so all this does is confirm further confirm that hate.

Ubisoft is getting close to becoming the new EA but they aren't quite there yet. They'll need to kill a few more beloved franchises before they get there. They're certainly putting in the work though.

RebornKusabi

Mar 11, 2009
As a multi-console gamer, as in I have a gaming PC, PS4, Xbox One and WiiU (on top of older consoles), why do PC gamers keep buying Ubisoft games? Like seriously, I ask this, why?

They've made it perfectly clear they don't want YOUR money.

Edit: To elaborate- They've made it clear since Assassin's Creed: Unity that PC gamers will get the base version while PS4 and Xbox One gamers get the best of the best support. Eventually, modders will fix it, eventually. And that is bad- that means they can keep releasing trash and PC gamers who either don't care or have no taste will keep buying their games. And the cycle will repeat every time.

Estarc

Sep 23, 2008
This sounds like a fairly normal port, no? Dedicated team doing the port, better graphics on PC but not to ridiculous levels. Not sure this is news. Parity with the console version means shit like same graphics as on console, 30FPS lock etc...

Sep 14, 2009
MetalDooley said:
Hell charging console owners more for the same game
that's because there are royalty fees for developing console games, they pay nintendo/microsoft/sony for selling on their platform, hence the cost being higher.

is enough of a dick move without charging more for an inferior version
inferior version? it's due to the hardware being inferior in the first place, you bought inferior hardware (which is fine, that's your choice) but don't complain when your game is inferior to other/objectively more powerful platforms. It'd be like me getting mad that my android version isn't as good as your xbone/ps4/wiiU version.

OT: once I heard more about the game I wasn't interested in the first place, really didn't sound like my kind of game, plus I can't stand paying full price for these kinds of games, it'll die quicker than destiny and ubisoft will double their profits by making division 2 *slightly more pixels and boston edition*

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Based on the OP, it seems like it's "upgraded version compared to the consoles, but not an ultra-deluxe edition."

Which makes sense to me, honestly. Still, it's Ubisoft. Odds are that this will be one of the lest controversial "problems" with this game.

EDIT: on the other hand, graphics option for consoles? What black magic is this!?!

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Yeah, no. You have that PC crew make that ***** look as fine as possible. Screw making consoles players feel better about their purchase. They knew they purchased something that does not have the same running power as a PC, no point in hurting PC players because of that.

P.S. This is coming from someone who plays primarily on console and only bought a current gaming PC a month ago.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Now Ubisoft are treating us like the older child whom the parent tells to go easy on the younger, and let him even win a few. Ubisoft is a crappy developer. And parent.

Apr 28, 2008
So does that mean they're going to install Uplay on all consoles and force console users to sign up for it to play the game as well?

You know, to keep them in line with the PC release?

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
So, it's safe to assume the game will have shitty console UI, shitty console controls, zero optimisation. Pass.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Confirmed: Ubisoft thinks console gamers are crybabies who have their feelings hurt over the most inconsequential things.

Fuck you, Ubisoft. I stopped buying your shitty PC ports ages ago, and, more recently, your games in general. This news only strengthens that stance.

You don't make things "fair" by dragging everyone down to the same level.

Ass-hats.

aceman67

Jan 14, 2010
I already regret pre-ordering the game, but I'll not be requesting a refund (mainly because I got it on the Humble Bundle, and I'm not going to take away from chairity).

Why do I regret buying the game?

This reddit post will explain:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/43l9qm/pc_version_of_the_division_will_be_plagued_with/

This is absolutely amazing how *bleep* up the Division's netcode is. Almost all stats (excluding currencies and health) are calculated and stored on the client, and server just accepts it without any checking. You can have unlimited ammo in a mag, super-speed (this, actually causes players to go invisible also), any desired critical chance, no recoil, unlimited medkits and nades and so on and on.
And this is not just lack of anticheat, it is global networking architecture *bleep*up. I highly doubt that this will be fixed any time soon after release. You probably might wanna stay away from PVP area while this problem is present.
Pic of /u/Z000001 with unlimited mag: http://puu.sh/mQClm/81f67ceeb4.jpg
OP of another thread https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/43iidg/suggestion_there_better_be_anticheat_in_the_final/ recorded some videos which can give you understanding on whats going on. Check it out
credit to /u/Z000001
If this is in fact true, The Division on the PC, at least in the early days, will be full of cheaters. That will suck.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Ha.
Ha.Ha.Ha.
Ha.Ha.Ha.Ha.
Ha.Ha.Ha.Ha.Ha.
Ha.Ha.Ha.Ha.Ha.Ha.

O, Ubisoft, never change.
You really want to beat EA in being EA, don't cha?

Still, I've refused to buy any Ubisoft/EA game new because of this kind of crap.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Yea, unless they really change around, Far Cry 4 will be the last game of theirs I purchase, and I bought that a while ago.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Oh no those poor console peasants, how could they possibly carry on while a superior port exists. Fuck you Ubisoft, I would have respected you more if you'd just said you were to lazy to put more effort in to the PC port. At least make it so that modders can reverse your bullshit you ass-hats.

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
Vigormortis said:
Confirmed: Ubisoft thinks console gamers are crybabies who have their feelings hurt over the most inconsequential things.
Are they wrong? Check the very first reply to this topic.

On topic, I read the interview what I took from it was that the resources you get developing in PC can cause added features that would change the game so much that the PC and console versions would actually be different games. Like H1Z1, the consoles, unable to keep up to PC had to have their own watered down, dude-bro, Call of Zombie version, leaving out all the survival aspects. Perhaps that was what was meant, at least I hope so, cause I love Ubisoft games.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
As someone that played in the beta(woo Humble Bundle) the PC version is actually really solid from what I saw. Lots of graphic, gameplay and input customization, so it's definitely not a half-baked port. It's disappointing to see the graphics pulled down to avoid the touchier of the console players from whining, but of what I played in the beta, the game was incredibly fun and ran great. It even ran on my machine pretty well which was actually UNDER minimum requirements at the time.

I'd definitely hazard against picking up any Ubi game sight unseen, they've lost too much trust for that. But if the game is good, then there's no reason to not get it(unless, of course, you personally feel strongly about issues like this, which is totally fair).

So yeah, definitely disappointing, but given that most AAA publishers give top billing to consoles for no particular reason, it's hardly a surprise that console priority acts like concrete shoes for PC ports. I'm just content with the fact that the port that IS there is actually rather solid. If we're real lucky, we'll get an HD texture pack like what they've been doing with Crysis and a few other games.