The Doctor's Daughter (Not the David Tennant one)

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Ok so, I don't really follow Doctor Who much anymore, I lost interest when Matt Smith left *sniffles*, but a friend of mine is a big fan, and apparently watched the older shows as well. And he mentioned that one of the previous iterations of the Doctor also had a child. She was his companion for a long time, and eventually she stayed on Earth and found a husband, presumably having children.

Did this plot ever come up again? I mean, a whole set of Almost Time Lords that were born from a previous Doctor's progeny, seems like a really cool plot hook to use in a story arc, but I never heard any mention of it since the show reboot in the early 2000's. Anyone more familiar with the show have any further input on this?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
When they announced the new doctor would be female I thought it might actually be the doctor's daughter.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Susan, his granddaughter? She came back in The Five Doctors, didn't do much of anything, and then went off again.

There's a short story in which they say that she wasn't related to him, he adopted her or something, not sure if that is still canon.

In the TV show, beyond The Five Doctors she's stops even being mentioned soon after her character leaves.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Thaluikhain said:
Susan, his granddaughter? She came back in The Five Doctors, didn't do much of anything, and then went off again.

There's a short story in which they say that she wasn't related to him, he adopted her or something, not sure if that is still canon.

In the TV show, beyond The Five Doctors she's stops even being mentioned soon after her character leaves.
I don't know who Susan is, so I can't say if that's who I'm talking about. I just know it was from one of the first rotation of Doctor's, before the series revitalization in the 2000's. Would be a shame if they retconned her to just be some adopted kid. Would be interesting to have a bloodline of sort of Timelords, floating around in the human population.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
If it is Susan then she shows up again in one of the 8th Doctor's audio books, not sure which since I don't follow the audio books. Either way, considering he starts the new series pretty damn sure all his race died out, it's safe to assume she died at some point or another.

Happyninja42 said:
I don't know who Susan is, so I can't say if that's who I'm talking about. I just know it was from one of the first rotation of Doctor's, before the series revitalization in the 2000's. Would be a shame if they retconned her to just be some adopted kid. Would be interesting to have a bloodline of sort of Timelords, floating around in the human population.
Apparently not. She had one son, Alex that was killed in said audiobook. It's unknown if she had more children later. (Probably not... Unless they retcon in the future)

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Diablo2000 said:
If it is Susan then she shows up again in one of the 8th Doctor's audio books, not sure which since I don't follow the audio books. Either way, considering he starts the new series pretty damn sure all his race died out, it's safe to assume she died at some point or another.

Happyninja42 said:
Apparently not. She had one son, Alex that was killed in said audiobook. It's unknown if she had more children later. (Probably not... Unless they retcon in the future)
Well that's lame, killing off an entire plot thread that had a lot of potential. Meh I say...MEH!

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
undeadsuitor said:
There's a picture of her on twelves desk at the school he worked for at the beginning of the last season. If I'm remembering right.

But that's a shame they kinda...killed her off or whatever they did
The First Doctor left her on a future Earth with a man she'd fallen in love with. This was back in the good old days when the Doctor wasn't space Jesus [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0DfuhREAds], didn't have so much of a problem with violence [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNuHV-iLBRw], and regeneration didn't make you a bomb [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM2kI6C14bo].

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
In the first episode of Doctor Who, The Doctor is introduced via his granddaughter Susan. Throughout the first two seasons, Susan plays the role of a companion. Eventually, her grandfather forces her to stay in a reality where Dalek's had invaded earth but was driven off but not destroyed for her own safety and for her happiness. This is (mostly) the last time we see her in the show. In the audio series, the eighth doctor goes back to this timeline and discovers the Daleks come back. Susan lives through this adventure (though isn't the main focal point). In the new canon, we thought all the people from Gallifrey destroyed in the Great Time War but was in actuality put in a parallel pocket dimension then placed in the End of Time so Susan's survivability is questionable at this point.