The dragons of Skyrim are idiots.

Prof.Beany

Apr 22, 2011
Dragons for me are just a mess.
First of all theres the damn spawn rate. Yeah I get it, dragons are back and all, but EVERY 5 MINUTES (hyperbole, its really more like 10-15) IS TOO MUCH DAM IT. And thats without fast travel, which for some reason seems to have a 50% chance of spawning a dragon.

And their behaviors are just bizarre, if theyre not ignoring the dozens of arrows and fireballs I shoot at them in order to deal with some obviously much more menacing than I mudcrab, theyre simply prancing about in the skies ignoring EVERYONE and just roaring a lot.

Also, has anyone else had dragons spawn and then immediately die and fall to the ground? I remember the first time I saw two dragons appear near me, I got all excited for some awesome double-dragon fighting action... and then one simply fell out of the sky and caught on fire as they do...

Those Dragons man, I tell ya...

iRevanchist

Jun 11, 2011
I hate how the dragons always fly away and never have the balls to attack you on the ground. it's obnoxious.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Dragons are easy relative to other boss fights in the game.

I look at it this way: First, you are a natural dragon killer--your soul or something (I haven't finished it yet) is attuned to taking down the buggers. Second, dragon killing is where Bethesda wants to show off the game, as it has a lot of spectacle value. If anybody else watches you, Bethesda wants them to say "wow, that was cool" rather than "good thing you can quicksave whenever you want" or (compared to Monster Hunter) "when are you going to be done?" And if they didn't fly around they'd be dead in less than a minute, which would be stupid too. Dragons are there for show, not for gameplay. Not a bad decision, IMHO, since there is plenty of good gameplay elsewhere.

Even though they fly around, my housecarl and flame elemental usually whittles down half their HP before they land, sometimes more. For my first random dragon kill, at a very low level, my newly bought warhorse and his horse buddy at the stables took care of nearly all of it. Rather than stupid, I thought it was rather cool.

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
rhizhim said:
Nomanslander said:
Honestly, for a buggy unbalanced game like this where killing chickens can get you in prison or a single mutt can clear an entire giant camp and all the mammoths, dealing with the dragons in this game has to take the cake in bad designs. Now I'm not here to say I hate Skyrim, I've been loving this game and obsessed over it (when I should have more focus on my college finals) as any of you here, but when it comes to probably the most important themes of this game, fighting dragons, I feel pretty let down with what we have here.

Now tell me if this hasn't been your experience. A dragon appears, you quick select all the necessary items for the fight, but then the dragon lifts off and flies around in circles causing havoc and attracting every NPC in a five mile radius. You begin the chase after the dragon to do your dragon slaying Dragonborne thing but every time you get close it lifts off again paying hardly any attention towards you even when you've managed to do enough substantial damage to hold its aggro.

Now this isn't even the retard part of these encounters, what really pisses me off that even on Master difficulty when you're able to manipulate the dragon's line of fire (which just consist of getting behind a wall and taking cover), you notice you don't even need to lay a hand on the damn animal since half the level has now been aggroed by the dragon and are just as convicted to killing it as you are. Really you don't need to do a damn thing, just let the
What kind of fuckup causes you to post the same broken thing 9 times?

OT: I don't blame the dragons for that. 'Hmm, I can fight the guy who killed our king Alduin, or stall for a couple more seconds... OOH LOOK A MUDCRAB.'

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I like to troll the Dragons with Dragonrend and then using Archery to kill it out of it's attack range. So I sit there and laugh as fire and ice breath dissipate harmlessly out of range and I lob Iron Arrows into it and Dragonrending it every time it wears off.

And since my primary weapon for the entire game is a bow it doesn't take long.

EnigmaticSevens

Sep 18, 2009
Yeah, love Skyrim to pieces, but I've not had a really, really challenging dragon fight, and I've got the game on expert. Oh yes, and Ancient Dragon's breath is a freaking death sentence, but once you stun lock the thing with a barrage of chain lightnings before getting beside it and wailing on it with two swords, it's pretty much over. Even Alduin himself wasn't that much of a badass (though granted, by that time, I'd broken the game wide open and spanked it mercilessly with the good old Alchemy + Enchanting + Smithing combo, hit the armor cap and started dealing a solid 500 some points of damage). Best fight involving dragons was... well... I was chasing this freaking Blood Dragon all up and down those rocky hills outside of Markarth, used Lightning Storm to whittle its health down about half way, but the damn thing wouldn't land. I lost sight of him, but then heard a familiar thud from behind me. I got happy, only to run smack dab into the face of an ancient dragon with no sense of humor. It is of course, at this time, that the blood dragon decides to land....

Most annoying enemy though... has got be be the goddamn Drauger Deathlords with Ebony bows and arrows. They shout me down, and then turn me into a pincushion while I take a bloody hour to stand back up....

I forgot

Jul 7, 2010
Yet another reason why I shouldn't get skyrim. Hasn't bad enemy design always been a problem with the Elder scrolls games?

White-Death

Oct 31, 2011
This mod doubles the dragons health, &, depending on which option you select, doubles it's damage.
This mod is your friend if you love hunting dragons.
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3829

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Oh the wonders of AI. Graphics and story have been taken to new heights, AI is barley capable of actually pathing let alone acting intelligently.

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
Fearzone said:
Dragons are easy relative to other boss fights in the game.

I look at it this way: First, you are a natural dragon killer--your soul or something (I haven't finished it yet) is attuned to taking down the buggers. Second, dragon killing is where Bethesda wants to show off the game, as it has a lot of spectacle value. If anybody else watches you, Bethesda wants them to say "wow, that was cool" rather than "good thing you can quicksave whenever you want" or (compared to Monster Hunter) "when are you going to be done?" And if they didn't fly around they'd be dead in less than a minute, which would be stupid too. Dragons are there for show, not for gameplay. Not a bad decision, IMHO, since there is plenty of good gameplay elsewhere.

Even though they fly around, my housecarl and flame elemental usually whittles down half their HP before they land, sometimes more. For my first random dragon kill, at a very low level, my newly bought warhorse and his horse buddy at the stables took care of nearly all of it. Rather than stupid, I thought it was rather cool.
I wish my soul was naturally attuned to killing bandits with 2H weapons.

rhizhim said:
im sorry. im having really bad lag with the escapist site. i didn't even click on post this much.
its only occurs with your site
Don't worry about it too much. It happened to me last week. I clicked post once and then it lagged out and when I got back in I had three reposts.

Techsmart07

Mar 5, 2011
Sentox6 said:
What I hate is when I hit a dragon with a nicely triangulated Dragonrend and he proceeds to land... on a mountain perch that would take me 20 minutes to climb up to.
This is my most common issue. That, and when I hit a dragon with dragonrend, and it doesn't land. By the text, I would assume that it forces the dragon to find a nearby place to land, and lands. I had one battle near dawnstar where I hit the dragon 3 times with dragonrend (and there are plenty of places for the dragon to land, I've seen other ones do it), and the dragon does not land. The attacking random stuff thing usually doesn't bother me as much, since that gives me more time to load more fireballs in it. I also find it annoying when I get into a fight with a dragon, and after 2 seconds, it just goes away. No reason, I guess it just got bored. It doesn't attack other local wildlife, or guards, or anything.