The dragons of Skyrim are idiots.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
Nomanslander said:
Honestly, for a buggy unbalanced game like this where killing chickens can get you in prison or a single mutt can clear an entire giant camp and all the mammoths, dealing with the dragons in this game has to take the cake in bad designs. Now I'm not here to say I hate Skyrim, I've been loving this game and obsessed over it (when I should have more focus on my college finals) as any of you here, but when it comes to probably the most important themes of this game, fighting dragons, I feel pretty let down with what we have here.

Now tell me if this hasn't been your experience. A dragon appears, you quick select all the necessary items for the fight, but then the dragon lifts off and flies around in circles causing havoc and attracting every NPC in a five mile radius. You begin the chase after the dragon to do your dragon slaying Dragonborne thing but every time you get close it lifts off again paying hardly any attention towards you even when you've managed to do enough substantial damage to hold its aggro.

Now this isn't even the retard part of these encounters, what really pisses me off that even on Master difficulty when you're able to manipulate the dragon's line of fire (which just consist of getting behind a wall and taking cover), you notice you don't even need to lay a hand on the damn animal since half the level has now been aggroed by the dragon and are just as convicted to killing it as you are. Really you don't need to do a damn thing, just let the stupid animal attract all the attention and then get zerged to death as you're eventually hailed for its defeat.

One of the most important encounters of the game, and you can beat it during a bathroom brake. And as the title to my topic insist, the dragons in Skyrim are just idiots. Now if a dragon could handle all the chaos its so easily capable of stirring, I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it. But the dragons in this game aren't, a single mammoth or giant could hand a dragon its ass and have time to one shot you while you run up to its corpse and try to loot it. Three guards could take on a dragon alone, with some weaker dragons hiding in a hole and letting your horse do all the work can also end up paying off, and let's not mention how broken the game gets when you have Barbas the immortal mutt around.../facepalm

Well, I don't know, I think I'm about done bitching about this for now. What do you guys think?

Oh and one final comment, fuck the dragons, this game should be about slaying Necro/Pyromancer and their godly unbalanced one shot kill from a mile away dishing asses.
Equip a melee item and the dragon won't fly around so much. If you have a ranged attack readied it will switch to 'aerial combat' mode.

It's the AI, and your lack of how it functions that's attributing to your frustration with the game.

The dragons are not idiots, they're truly groundbreaking, revolutionary, highly complex artificial intelligence for an open world sand box game where you can encounter them anywhere, at anytime, the likes of which have not yet been seen in a video game.

The more you know.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
If you are doing the chest high walls thing or taking cover then firing an arrow/spell only to get into cover again. You are REALLY boring. At least move from cover to cover. I never sit in one spot.

Besides, the Dragons are fun. No, really they are.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
michael87cn said:
Equip a melee item and the dragon won't fly around so much. If you have a ranged attack readied it will switch to 'aerial combat' mode.

It's the AI, and your lack of how it functions that's attributing to your frustration with the game.

The dragons are not idiots, they're truly groundbreaking, revolutionary, highly complex artificial intelligence for an open world sand box game where you can encounter them anywhere, at anytime, the likes of which have not yet been seen in a video game.

The more you know.
First off, melee makes it a bit better if only I could reach one in time before it takes off again forcing me to switch back to ranged. Second please tell me that was sarcasm. Yeah I have the sensibilities to know when someone is being sarcastic, but this is the internet, I can't read your tone and people on this so called internet are capable of seeing such fanboys where they would say something like that with a straight face...=/

Major Chip

Dec 5, 2011
Dragons aren't easy when you first start but they get quite easy once you're levelling has taken off properly. They then get tricky at ancient level, until you break the game in a way that makes the majority of enemies similarly easy.

I picked up a 'lighthouse' quest in Solitude, at level 27, where certain undesirables aren't particularly friendly towards you. Safe to say the next 15-25 of them didn't react well when my 49 reguard warrior/ mage dabbler and archer walked in on them wielding spellbreaker and a legendary daedric health absorbing sword.

Now that was easy.

fdbluth

Dec 31, 2010
Nomanslander said:
First off, melee makes it a bit better if only I could reach one in time before it takes off again forcing me to switch back to ranged. Second please tell me that was sarcasm. Yeah I have the sensibilities to know when someone is being sarcastic, but this is the internet, I can't read your tone and people on this so called internet are capable of seeing such fanboys where they would say something like that with a straight face...=/
I use a melee character and it seems true. I never had problem with dragons not landing, and if I ever got any problem, it was because it couldn't find a wide enough place to land. As long as you find the right place, it will land.

I can't speak as to whether their AI is as good as mentioned, but they seemed fine enough to me. Except for their hatred of mudcrabs. Understandable, but still kinda stupid.